2016-2017 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NBA Draft is usually the start of the offseason and it takes place on Thursday. While I expect to hear Bulls rumors, they will most likely stay put and pick at #14. Some potential names for them:

Jacob Poeltl C Utah: Really good defender, probably a longshot to be available

DeYonte Davis PF Michigan State: Good defender, high upside, and very athletic.

Furkan Korkmaz G Turkey: Excellent shooter, athletic, young. My favorite potential Bulls picks.

DeJounte Murray PG Washington: Athletic defender with top 5 pick upside if he played more consistently. Plays very wild but has All Star potential

Demetrius Jackson PG Notre Dame: Personal favorite of mine, size 6'1 is an issue and didn't shoot well as a Junior.

Some guys will eventually be good, but this draft looks really weak after #2. I just can't fathom Jaylen Brown as a top-5 pick. He looks like a poor man's Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 09:01 AM)
Who has the leg up in the Durant sweepstakes? OKC?

I would be stunned if Durant does anything other than stay in OKC for another year. Golden State is the only alternative that I see viable. Despite Stephen A Smith's ramblings of Lebron being interested in the Lakers & Heat, I don't see Lebron walking away from the championship team. I do see Lebron signing another one year deal so he can always have continual leverage on Cavs ownership to make moves and pay luxury tax, etc.

It is a year from now where the Bulls need to be well positioned with a combination of cap space and talent to make a run at Westbrook and/or Durant (and I think it will be next off-season where we see Anthony Davis make a big push to exit the Pelicans).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 11:38 AM)
I would be stunned if Durant does anything other than stay in OKC for another year. Golden State is the only alternative that I see viable. Despite Stephen A Smith's ramblings of Lebron being interested in the Lakers & Heat, I don't see Lebron walking away from the championship team. I do see Lebron signing another one year deal so he can always have continual leverage on Cavs ownership to make moves and pay luxury tax, etc.

It is a year from now where the Bulls need to be well positioned with a combination of cap space and talent to make a run at Westbrook and/or Durant (and I think it will be next off-season where we see Anthony Davis make a big push to exit the Pelicans).

:lol:

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
:lol:

What other scenario would you propose? I see everyone always cry about not having star players, but just because we haven't gotten any in recent cycles doesn't just mean you stop trying.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)
What other scenario would you propose? I see everyone always cry about not having star players, but just because we haven't gotten any in recent cycles doesn't just mean you stop trying.

They won't get any of those guys until they have a new owner.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 12:55 PM)
They won't get any of those guys until they have a new owner.

Sadly, yep. Sox and Bulls will never be good with JR at the helm. s***ty owner hires s***ty people to run his teams who put a s***ty product on the field/court. Outside of lucking into MJ and a crazy run in 05, JR has been a garbage owner for decades.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 08:43 PM)
Sadly, yep. Sox and Bulls will never be good with JR at the helm. s***ty owner hires s***ty people to run his teams who put a s***ty product on the field/court. Outside of lucking into MJ and a crazy run in 05, JR has been a garbage owner for decades.

Can you blame an 83 year old man for not wanting to overhaul his basketball team?

Yeah, JR hasn't been great in a while, but his current behavior is somewhat understandable.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 09:34 PM)
Can you blame an 83 year old man for not wanting to overhaul his basketball team?

Yeah, JR hasn't been great in a while, but his current behavior is somewhat understandable.

This isn't a recent trend....

The Bulls were legit contenders for MJ's run + maybe 2 years outside of that. He's owned the team for 30+ years. That's luck and pathetic outside of that luck.

The Sox have 1 ring and were legit contenders...twice? Maybe? He's owned that team even longer. It's a joke.

And I'm not demanding dynasties. But hey, could we maybe field a competitive team every once and a while?

Edited by Jenksy Cat

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 12:14 PM)
Brian WindhorstVerified account ‏@WindhorstESPN 48m48 minutes ago

The Phildelphia 76ers have informed Ben Simmons they will select him with the No. 1 pick Thursday, source says (@ChrisBHaynes 1st)

Quite the crowded backcourt they have now. Someone has to go and they really need a PG...........

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 12:14 PM)
Brian WindhorstVerified account ‏@WindhorstESPN 48m48 minutes ago

The Phildelphia 76ers have informed Ben Simmons they will select him with the No. 1 pick Thursday, source says (@ChrisBHaynes 1st)

This is the team I wonder about the Bulls matching up well with. With Noah seemingly leaving town, as well as Gasol, they could stand to get bigger, and the 76ers would love a real star to put around all of these kids.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 08:33 AM)
This is the team I wonder about the Bulls matching up well with. With Noah seemingly leaving town, as well as Gasol, they could stand to get bigger, and the 76ers would love a real star to put around all of these kids.

Philly is on the short list of realistic possibilities of where Rose could be traded to (for one of their late 1st round selections or a future selection).

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 09:34 AM)
A report came out yesterday that Boston was trying to get Butler and couldn't pull it off. Marcus Smart, Crowder, and #3 and I'd make that deal. I might even do it for Bradley instead of Smart with more 1st rounders added.

I'm not trading Butler unless I get the #3 plus the New Jersey unprotected 1st rounder in next years draft. I don't think Boston does it but I don't think we should trade Jimmy unless we get blown away.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 11:55 AM)
I'm not trading Butler unless I get the #3 plus the New Jersey unprotected 1st rounder in next years draft. I don't think Boston does it but I don't think we should trade Jimmy unless we get blown away.

They apparently love Kris Dunn. I guess it depends on how much. I don't think they have Brooklyn's #1 next year. Teams can;'t trade #1 picks in successive years

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 09:56 AM)
They apparently love Kris Dunn. I guess it depends on how much. I don't think they have Brooklyn's #1 next year. Teams can;'t trade #1 picks in successive years

Since they have so many picks, I think they are allowed to still make the trade. The celtics have the rights to swap picks with the Nets next year (so essentially they have the Nets pick).

There is no point trading just to trade. The NBA is a superstar league, so unless you are trading to somehow acquire potential superstars, there is just no point.

If it was the 1 or 2 pick and you are getting Simmons or Ingram, then trading Butler makes sense. Otherwise, what is the rush? You may as well keep your options open to trade him in the future.

I guess I just see this draft as pretty risky, so I dont feel a great urge to deal the Bulls most valuable asset.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 09:59 AM)
There is no point trading just to trade. The NBA is a superstar league, so unless you are trading to somehow acquire potential superstars, there is just no point.

If it was the 1 or 2 pick and you are getting Simmons or Ingram, then trading Butler makes sense. Otherwise, what is the rush? You may as well keep your options open to trade him in the future.

I guess I just see this draft as pretty risky, so I dont feel a great urge to deal the Bulls most valuable asset.

Not for one asset that is a #3 pick and some role players. Makes zero sense. Butler is an all star and a player who has continued to trend upward. He also is signed to an extremely beneficial contract. There is zero reason we should move him unless it truly helps position us to be better. The proposed deals do not make us better longer-term. What we should do is clear Rose and work to find a point guard so that we can ideally see some improvement this year and than leverage the cap space next off-season.