2015 College Baseball Thread

daa84

There's some decent discussion in the draft thread in the future sox part of the board. But I figured I'd make a thread here as well since the season just started.

As I said in the other thread, look for an uptick in scoring with the new baseballs. It's desperately needed as the power has been wayyyy down since they changed the bats a few years ago

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 06:13 PM)
College ball neophyte here, thinking about getting into it a bit to tide me over until Opening Day. Can someone explain the concept of "Friday pitchers" and "weekend rotations" to me?

college baseball schedule has a 3 game series every weekend for each team (Friday night, Saturday, Sunday) - once conference play starts, all conference games are weekend series. During the week on random tuesdays or wednesdays there are often single stand alone games played (always a non-conference team - usually a team nearby to limit travel). Friday night pitcher is typically your Ace - your game 1 starter in each series. They typically start every friday night, and rarely pitch any other time. Same as the other weekend starters on their respective days. Occasionally a weekend starter will relieve in a mid week game. The midweek starters typically also will relieve on the weekends.

Even the best pitching staffs usually have multiple guys they try out/rotate in and out of the midweek starter spot, and typically the sunday starter spot too.

Edited by daa84

• 2 weeks later...

I'm ridiculously excited about ASU baseball this spring. First off they've moved away from that God-awful Packard Stadium and revamped the old A's spring training digs (Phoenix Muni)...and they can sell beer there now too woohoo!!! Plus...new head coach Tracy Smith has brought back some stability to the program. It might take a year or two for ASU to get back to the upper echelon of teams...but you can just sense a completely different vibe from the team and how they play this year. Plus...it's been evident that he knows how to handle his pitchers and bullpen than with the Esmay.

They started out with a nice schedule...3 with Oklahoma State and 3 with TCU...with one Oklahoma game sandwiched in there. Stated the season 4-3...but all but one game has been decided by 1 run.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 01:16 PM)
I'm ridiculously excited about ASU baseball this spring. First off they've moved away from that God-awful Packard Stadium and revamped the old A's spring training digs (Phoenix Muni)...and they can sell beer there now too woohoo!!! Plus...new head coach Tracy Smith has brought back some stability to the program. It might take a year or two for ASU to get back to the upper echelon of teams...but you can just sense a completely different vibe from the team and how they play this year. Plus...it's been evident that he knows how to handle his pitchers and bullpen than with the Esmay.

They started out with a nice schedule...3 with Oklahoma State and 3 with TCU...with one Oklahoma game sandwiched in there. Stated the season 4-3...but all but one game has been decided by 1 run.

Smith is amazing. You will love him. Sad he left IU, but can't blame him.

Excited to see what Lemonis can do. Team should still be good this year, though there will definitely be a drop after losing Schwarber/Travis/DeMuth.

Been busy the last weekend so haven't had any chance to tune into any college ball.

Exciting that my alma mater ISU is going to Vanderbilt this weekend, shame I can't see any of it. (poor internet makes streaming tough, plus I don't think I get SEC Network+)

Looks like the only game on TV tomorrow is Mississippi State and Arizona. Worth watching? Any tips on guys to watch?

• 2 weeks later...

3-10-15

living in Louisiana, the big deal down here is all about LSU. just found out, and i may be wrong, but LSU baseball just got ranked #1.

i went and looked up their players and wanted to see their stats. interesting. 3 sp's with 4-0. does anyone

LHP - Jared Poche' , RHP - Jake Godfrey , RHP - Alex Lange all freshman who were drafted and decided to forgo the draft and went to LSU. there is a 4th freshman as well.

2017 is their next draft opportunity.

http://www.lsusports.net/fls/5200/assets/d...ec.htm#TEAM.MSC

3-15-15

top prospects updates. i wasn't sure if i should use this thread or the other in FS on draft. so i will use this and keep the other for mock drafts and so forth.

hrs -- Ian Happ - cincy 6 (tie for 1 with 7 players) , DJ Stewart - fl state 5 (tie for 2 with others players)

avg -- Ian Happ 3 with 490

many games rain out.

LSU undefeated with 1 win, Alex Bregman 1 for 4

cincy - Happ 1 for 4

north carolina - these 2 players are starting to getting interesting. Skye Bolt batting 4 in 2 games with multi hits for the weekend and J.B. Bukauskas pitcher, 6 innings pitched 6 k's and 2 walks.

vandy - Dansby Swanson batting 3 again, 2 for 3 plus 2 walks and 1 sb. Carson Fulmer - pitcher 6 innings, 5 earn runs, 7 k's and 2 bb.

virgina - Nathan Kirby - pitcher 7 innings pitch, 1 er, 6 k's, 4 bb.

sunday, 3-15-15

sunday results.

lsu - win, Alex Bregman 6 at bats, 3 hits, 1 hr, 3 runs, 0 k's and 3 rbi batting #3.

cincy - win, Ian Happ, 4 at bats, 1 hit, 0 hr, 1 run, 1 k's, 1 rbs. batting #3

fsu - DJ Stewart, weekend update. had 3 hrs, multi hits, great weekend for him, batting #3.

fla - JJ Schwarz is a catcher who continues to bat, as a dh. 3 ab, 1 hit, 1 run, 0 k's,

vandy- Dansby Swanson, 4 ab, 1 hit, 1 k, 1 rbs, batting #3.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 05:01 PM)
This is confusing. There is now college ball talk going on in this thread, the draft thread in FutureSox, as well as an NCAA thread in The Diamond Club.

well as i mention, several post up, i wanted to keep a update list on some prospects i think will be in the area of the sox draft, and other prospects that i like. while this can not be said it is an official draft info, like mock draft, i thought it would be in the ncaa baseball.

if the mods and admin wanted me to stop, i will. i didn't want to cause any confusion. i thought it would be nice.

Edited by LDF

Tues, 3-17.

vandy - win - Dansby Swanson ss - batting #4 - 3 ab, 2 runs, 2 hits, 1 rbi, 1 bb, 0 k's

miami fl - win - David Thompson 3b - batting #4 - 5 ab, 2 runs, 2 hits, 5 rbi, 0 k's, 2 hrs

new addition, been watching him since the cape, was hurt before. power hitting 3b.

This is confusing. There is now college ball talk going on in this thread, the draft thread in FutureSox, as well as an NCAA thread in The Diamond Club.

I would think the college baseball thread would be to discuss the sport of college baseball, and talk about individual players who might be in the 2015 draft should be confined to FutureSox.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 08:05 AM)
I would think the college baseball thread would be to discuss the sport of college baseball, and talk about individual players who might be in the 2015 draft should be confined to FutureSox.

That's fair, but we still have a college baseball thread here and a college baseball thread in the Diamond Club.

That's fair, but we still have a college baseball thread here and a college baseball thread in the Diamond Club.

I would think this would be the more appropriate place for the college baseball thread since other college sports are discussed here. Perhaps a mod/admin could merge the thread in the Diamond Club into this one.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 01:50 PM)
All non-MLB baseball talk (like the WBC) is usually in The Diamond Club, so I merged them both into the Diamond Club thread.

I just saw that Illinois is ranked #27. I think they are getting good at everything except football and baseball.

They are also ranked 18th in another poll. I believe they are top 25 in 5 different polls.