Odds on Paulino?

hi8is

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 09:19 PM)
Normally in a rebuilding year you hold on to guys but yeah, he's toast. Fastball ain't fast and the slow stuff just spins.

Average fastball is over 93, so it should be fast enough to work. It just doesn't move at all and he can't control it. And like you said, his offspeed stuff doesn't have enough break.

He was never a good minor leaguer.

He was never a good major leaguer.

He is 30 years old.

There was no reason for anyone to believe he would do well going out of spring training.

There is no reason for anyone to believe he will do anything from this point on.

I don't ever want the Sox to lose, but I was hoping that if he was going to lose tonight, it would be the one to do him in. I bet he's gone after tonight.

Edited by Markbilliards

He's got to go. Geez there has to be somebody who can take the hill as a fifth starter who doesn't get lit up like this. Are there any Freddie Garcia reclamation projects pitching in independent ball? This is embarrassing to trot him out there as an MLB starter.

I'm not sure Rienzo has earned it with his performance so far in the minors so far this season, but there might be no choice with another start or two like that.

It's not like they're going to go out and make a trade. They might pick up one of those reclamation veterans, but those guys are going to need their own version of spring training to get up to speed...at least 3 weeks.

Rienzo, Surkamp, Beck...they might as well throw a dart against the wall and see whose picture they hit with the toss.

Edited by caulfield12

It boggled my mind then, it boggles my mind now, how anyone could have thought this guy was going to be effective was beyond me. He made 5 minor league starts last year and they were very similar to his results this season. He was still coming off a serious injury and was going to be rusty any way you slice it. Finally, he wasn't very good to begin with.

QUOTE (glangon @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 06:26 AM)
Paulino is rotten, worse than Axelrod was.

Speaking of Axelrod; there is your 5Th starter. He's a serviceable RHP, and can eat some innings, thus saving the pen.

On occasion, he can throw a pretty decent game, and isn't horrible the rest of the time.

I can't imagine the Sox adding yet one more left handed starter to the rotation. They desperately need a RHP.

Thank goodness Johnson showed such significant improvement in his last start, after some adjustments he made.

Paulino might just be one of the worst starting pitchers I have seen pitch wearing a Sox uniform. The dude is BAD. It's time for the Sox to cut their losses. They took a chance on the guy, and it didn't pay off. I'm not blaming the Sox for taking a chance. I mean, it did work when they took risks on guys like Loaiza and even Humber for a short while. But if the guy can't produce, we MUST look into the next option. It appears as if Axelrod or Rienzo will be heading the list for the next guy up.

Do the right thing, Hahn- cut Paulino now.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 07:36 AM)
It boggled my mind then, it boggles my mind now, how anyone could have thought this guy was going to be effective was beyond me. He made 5 minor league starts last year and they were very similar to his results this season. He was still coming off a serious injury and was going to be rusty any way you slice it. Finally, he wasn't very good to begin with.

I agree... I thought this whole Paulino experiment was a bit odd to me. Perhaps Coop thought he could have pulled off a miracle? Regardless, theirs scouts really botched this one. Time to move on.

Who would have thought that Eric Stults would end up being the second best pitcher the White Sox have let go...after Gio Gonzalez?

Well, I guess you have to count Peavy in there two, so 3rd.

He's had a very solid/quiet/effective career at PetCo. Now could he have put up anything resembling those same numbers at USCF, it's doubtful.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 08:01 AM)
QUOTE (glangon @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 06:26 AM)

Paulino is rotten, worse than Axelrod was.

Speaking of Axelrod; there is your 5Th starter. He's a serviceable RHP, and can eat some innings, thus saving the pen.

On occasion, he can throw a pretty decent game, and isn't horrible the rest of the time.

I can't imagine the Sox adding yet one more left handed starter to the rotation. They desperately need a RHP.

Thank goodness Johnson showed such significant improvement in his last start, after some adjustments he made.

Are you serious? Did you not watch axelrod last season??

HOT. GARBAGE. Might as well throw Paulino back out there

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 08:18 AM)
I agree... I thought this whole Paulino experiment was a bit odd to me. Perhaps Coop thought he could have pulled off a miracle? Regardless, theirs scouts really botched this one. Time to move on.

I didn't have a problem with the signing per se, it just some of the expectations on this board. Not only did they expect him to be good after basically missing a year, many thought he would be better than he has ever been.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 08:36 AM)
If we use Axelrod all season, we actually might end up with the lowest attendance in MLB this year.

That's not going to happen. Sacrificial long man, fine, whatever. Not a part of the rotation equation.

Bring up Reinzo and hope for the best. We are pretty thin in options at this point of the season.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 08:42 AM)
Bring up Reinzo and hope for the best. We are pretty thin in options at this point of the season.

It seems to be the best option, and it probably isn't a good one. This is like shades of the early 2000s where the one starter is just a huge problem.

It's one thing to count that spot as almost a guaranteed loss, but they need to find someone that will at least get them through the fifth or sixth inning.