Most Airlines just don't seem to care

BigSqwert

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That guy wasn't a volunteer. He is a doctor who stated that he needed to get back to take care of his patients. The problem is that they needed 4 people to give up seats and only one person did. Their "computer" chose random people to be removed with this guy being one of them.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 10:21 AM)
Seems like there has to be more to it. Seems odd they would drag a volunteer off the flight.

He didn't volunteer, he was chosen randomly. United's PR team did a horrible job drafting their statement. And obviously United's management team at the airport did a horrible job dealing with this situation.

It really should be illegal for airlines to overbook flights, but every airline does it. You would think for the money they have to shell out as compensation for those "volunteers," they would be better off just not overbooking the flight to begin with.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
If they were overbooked, why even board the plane? It's a lot harder to get 4 people to volunteer once they're seated on the plane. Completely botched all the way around,

I've been in that situation a few times. On the plane, ready to go and suddenly they look for volunteers. My guess is at the last minute they find out they need crew members at another airport and they realize that specific flight is the fastest route to get there.

My wife and I debated taking the offer once. It would have required an overnight stay in Houston, but they were offering 2 free flights anywhere in the lower 48 (for each of us). I was too worried there would be all sorts of restrictions attached, like black out dates or whatever, so we decided against it.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 10:28 AM)
I've been in that situation a few times. On the plane, ready to go and suddenly they look for volunteers. My guess is at the last minute they find out they need crew members at another airport and they realize that specific flight is the fastest route to get there.

My wife and I debated taking the offer once. It would have required an overnight stay in Houston, but they were offering 2 free flights anywhere in the lower 48 (for each of us). I was too worried there would be all sorts of restrictions attached, like black out dates or whatever, so we decided against it.

I've taken it numerous times with SWA and they always do it pre-flight and you get a nice voucher and a priority seating position on the next flight. What is show here is f***ing crazy.

Wasn't this a Sunday night flight? Probably a lot harder to find volunteers when people need to get back home to get to work/school for Monday. They could have also kept increasing the voucher amount until they got 4 volunteers.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 09:33 AM)
Wasn't this a Sunday night flight? Probably a lot harder to find volunteers when people need to get back home to get to work/school for Monday. They could have also kept increasing the voucher amount until they got 4 volunteers.

This. My parents have taken the vouchers before, but they are retired.

My wife and I have talked about jumping at the offers before, but the deal needs to be really, really good to rationalize missing another day of work from a Sunday flight...

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 11:03 AM)
It's all about status at this point (which isn't right).

I traveled 25 weeks a year on American for about 4 years. I never had any issues, always had a window in the front of the plane, and about 65% of the time would get an upgrade to first class. But that's all because I was flying all the time.

You don't have status, and the expierence is trash.

United is definitely the worst, even their status programs have turned to trash. They tried to charge me a 200 dollar transfer fee to transfer $150 worth of credit to a ticket. They can suck it.

I'm SWA and Delta only now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 11:06 AM)
United is definitely the worst, even their status programs have turned to trash. They tried to charge me a 200 dollar transfer fee to transfer $150 worth of credit to a ticket. They can suck it.

I'm SWA and Delta only now.

Yeah, none of the big network airlines are exactly great, but United is special-level bad even among that crowd.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 11:37 AM)
United and Delta are trash.

Southwest is the best.

SWA certainly has status perks, but its not as crazy as others, and also not as much in your face. For example you arent aware of the reason I am in front of you in line, for all you know I checked in before you did. I like that.

That was absolutely absurd. In all my years of flying, I've never seen anything like that.

Regarding general airline conversation: Living in Atlanta, I only fly Delta. That's a combination of having status, and the fact that I can fly anywhere non-stop + fares are generally good price. Once I lose status, I'll go back to flying Southwest or Delta - whichever is cheaper. I always liked SW a lot. But I've never heard a good thing about United, which is sad. How does such a major airline have such issues?