A Star is Born

caulfield12

Best road record in baseball...just swept by the Sox.

Moncada with impressive tying and game winning hits.......huge breakout game, especially the oppo homer against Giles in the bottom of the 9th.

Just had a feeling a 1-1 fastball was coming there from Martes.

213/754

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rodon is the star of the second half. He's gonna have his ERA back in the 3s when the season ends. Moncada is just the first glimmer in a long line of atomic like explosions of talent coming through Chicago's pipeline. It's going to be fun to watch.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=...0&sort=10,d

This would put him between 22nd out of 31 in ops for 2b with 200+ at bats.

Yolmer is dead last.

Basically, to be Top Ten you need to be over 800 (Happ at .802)

Altuve, Daniel Murphy and Jose Ramirez are the only 3 over 900.

Average 2B fWAR is equal to 2.97 for the Top Ten, with Happ being last at 0.7 due to fielding/defense.

Altuve is the huge outlier at 5.9.

We are talking about Moncada being at least a 3.5-4.5 war guy, if not higher.

As it stands now, Avi and Abreu would be fortunate to end above 3.

Edited by caulfield12

Oh man thanks for the link. Moncada coupled with Engel looking like Aaron Rowand the other day...I'm excited to see these young guys play a full season next year. Also, that wasn't the Phillies out there...remember that. Great game by Moncada

Edited by JPR

"Yes, in my life. First time (walk off hit)," Moncada said through interpreter Billy Russo. "I feel very excited." (97 mph off Martes).

After striking out with runners on base in the fifth and seventh via a slider and changeup, respectively, Moncada turned a 2-0 fastball at 98.7 mph from closer Ken Giles into a game-tying home run to left-center with one out in the ninth.

"Got to tip my cap off to him," said Giles, who felt as if he made a good pitch on the black of the plate in the ninth and even checked the video for confirmation. "He put a good swing on it and drove it the other way. Nothing I can do. Can't really be mad about it. Good pitch, good swing. Hats off to him."

That pitch marked the second-fastest hit by a White Sox player for a home run this year, with Todd Frazier going deep off a 99.3-mph fastball on June 8. Moncada also became the first South Sider since Tyler Flowers on Sept. 8, 2014, against Oakland to hit a game-tying homer in the ninth and then walk it off in extras.

Joe Crede stands as the last White Sox rookie to accomplish such a feat on Aug. 27, 2002, against Toronto. Moncada was hit with pretty much everything his teammates could find in the postgame celebration and had his jersey shredded during the scrum.

As for memorabilia taken from the night, Moncada said the memories were enough.

"I'm going to say from my heart is just the celebration, the moment," Moncada said.

"I had a chance to watch Moncada in Triple-A, and I tell you what, it was something special," said White Sox starter Carlos Rodon, who finished with a no-decision after allowing two runs over eight innings without walking a hitter. "That patience up there, you see it, lot of 0-2 to 3-2 to walks. He battles and it's about time. He's got a good bat. Just a special player, man."

Including Thursday's results, Moncada has reached base safely in 17 of his last 31 plate appearances (seven walks). Moncada's average has reached .213, after starting the season at 4-for-42, and his on-base percentage is a robust .377.

Those walks are all part of the process, according to Moncada.

"It was something indescribable," Moncada said. "All my emotions were to the roof when I hit that ball and then when I was running the bases. It was something unique."

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/247593280/yo...r-walk-off-hit/

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 04:47 AM)
Hahn did great. If you're gonna deal Sale, coming away with Moncada and Kopech is insane.

I find it interesting that many here were so quick to jettison Sale for Kopech and Moncada. I often hear about the shredding of a jersey and how Sale's attitude was unprofessional and not liked by coaches/mgmt. Kopech's attacking of a teammate resulting in a broken hand injury, as well as a 50 game suspension 2 years ago so quickly gets shoveled under the rug and forgotten, lol.

Edited by Real

QUOTE (Real @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 06:02 AM)
I find it interesting that many here were so quick to jettison Sale for Kopech and Moncada. I often hear about the shredding of a jersey and how Sale's attitude was unprofessional and not liked by coaches/mgmt. Kopech's attacking of a teammate resulting in a broken hand injury, as well as a 50 game suspension 2 years ago so quickly gets shoveled under the rug and forgotten, lol.

Ah the ol' comparing the adult (27 year old Sale) to a kid (then 19 year old Kopech) argument. This should be interesting. :)

QUOTE (Real @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 06:02 AM)

Ya almost no one here wanted Sale traded just because of him being "unprofessional." This is just silly.

Edited by Rowand44

Or trying to fight everyone on the Royals off the field...let's see how Sale holds up in the playoffs when things go the wrong direction.

Fwiw, that will be a huge test for him, maturity-wise. So far, he has handled Boston a lot better than David Price. (Well, I know what some will argue there, and it's also a valid point.)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 07:17 AM)
Ya almost no one here wanted Sale traded just because of him being "unprofessional." This is just silly.

Regardless of what the board thinks, that is why He was traded in the first place. Unprofessional + the laroche saga is what started it all. FO was sick of him. Same with Eaton.

QUOTE (Real @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 05:02 AM)

Kopech's fight with teammate and injury were deemed to be a pretty isolated incident, and I have not heard anything negative about his makeup since. He has come a long way since then.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 07:54 AM)
Regardless of what the board thinks, that is why He was traded in the first place. Unprofessional + the laroche saga is what started it all. FO was sick of him. Same with Eaton.

Considering what's happened in the last 8 months, I think it's fair to say that this theory is bs too.