Renteria is a horrible in-game manager

Jose Abreu

I know that isn't as important now, but if he's still manager when we're trying to compete, it will be.

First, there's the constant bunting. I'm not even going to elaborate much because you all know exactly what I'm talking about. Isn't it textbook insanity to do the same exact thing over and over, expecting different results, only for the same result to keep happening? I remember hearing that somewhere- whatever it is, Renteria is at that point with the bunting and the two-strike bunting (which is even worse- even a 5 year-old knows not to bunt with two strikes).

There's the more minor issue of bullpen decisions. I know this may be more Cooper, but specifically, I'm referring to his use of Robertson in non-save situations, especially in extra-inning road games. What's the point of burning your closer in the bottom of the 9th inning in a tie game when you might need him to, I don't know, close the game later on? Not to mention Robertson tends to pitch poorly in non-save spots.

This is something I haven't noticed as much, and it may be more on the coaching staff than on Rick, but there are times where we don't challenge a play that has indisputable evidence in our favor, even when we have an available challenge. For example, last weekend, Anderson was called out at first on a relatively close play, but upon watching the replay, there was clear, absolutely indisputable evidence showing that he was safe. The Sox did not challenge, to the surprise of Benetti and Stone.

There's probably more that I'm missing, but can't think of at the moment- those are my biggest issues with him. It feels wrong to miss Ventura, but I, at times, do; I do, however, love how prepared and engaged our players are under Rick, which is an obvious improvement from Robin.

Some of you may think that he'll cut out the bunting and improve overall once we try to compete, and I hope that's true, but I really don't know if that will happen. I just think that this is his managing style.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 04:50 PM)
Use him same way Cubs did. Have him help develop the core guys and then upgrade when you're ready to compete.

Bingo. Rick is in a long term audition. He's failed on the strategy front, but they don't need him for that right now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 04:50 PM)
Use him same way Cubs did. Have him help develop the core guys and then upgrade when you're ready to compete.

My problem is, I don't know if the FO would actually cut ties with him before we try to compete.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 03:44 PM)
There's the more minor issue of bullpen decisions. I know this may be more Cooper, but specifically, I'm referring to his use of Robertson in non-save situations, especially in extra-inning road games. What's the point of burning your closer in the bottom of the 9th inning in a tie game when you might need him to, I don't know, close the game later on? Not to mention Robertson tends to pitch poorly in non-save spots.

I understand where you are coming from but part of the issue is, if you don't use him in non-save situations he could go a week or 10 days without work. And no pitcher is sharp under those circumstances either.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Regarding RR, I think he's a guy who can help shape a team for future contention but is not the guy to actually take you to the promised land.

I hope the Sox realize this as well.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 05:01 PM)
My problem is, I don't know if the FO would actually cut ties with him before we try to compete.

I actually agree with this, especially with JR's loyalty, and the fact he was one of the main reasons they helped recruit Robert to come here.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 04:44 PM)
I know that isn't as important now, but if he's still manager when we're trying to compete, it will be.

First, there's the constant bunting. I'm not even going to elaborate much because you all know exactly what I'm talking about. Isn't it textbook insanity to do the same exact thing over and over, expecting different results, only for the same result to keep happening? I remember hearing that somewhere- whatever it is, Renteria is at that point with the bunting and the two-strike bunting (which is even worse- even a 5 year-old knows not to bunt with two strikes).

This is something I haven't noticed as much, and it may be more on the coaching staff than on Rick, but there are times where we don't challenge a play that has indisputable evidence in our favor, even when we have an available challenge. For example, last weekend, Anderson was called out at first on a relatively close play, but upon watching the replay, there was clear, absolutely indisputable evidence showing that he was safe. The Sox did not challenge, to the surprise of Benetti and Stone.

There's probably more that I'm missing, but can't think of at the moment- those are my biggest issues with him. It feels wrong to miss Ventura, but I, at times, do; I do, however, love how prepared and engaged our players are under Rick, which is an obvious improvement from Robin.

Some of you may think that he'll cut out the bunting and improve overall once we try to compete, and I hope that's true, but I really don't know if that will happen. I just think that this is his managing style.

The bullpen is fried. It has been toasted over the last couple of weeks by awful starting pitching. Realistically Robertson is the freshest guy out there. Go back and look at the IP for these guys lately. Our pen has logged more IP than our starters have for a while now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 06:22 PM)
The bullpen is fried. It has been toasted over the last couple of weeks by awful starting pitching. Realistically Robertson is the freshest guy out there. Go back and look at the IP for these guys lately. Our pen has logged more IP than our starters have for a while now.

While this is true, he did this with Robertson earlier in the season as well (either once or twice).

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 04:42 PM)
While this is true, he did this with Robertson earlier in the season as well (either once or twice).

I agree with the earlier point...the guy has to pitch once in awhile, right?

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 08:06 PM)
I've seen more teaching from Renteria in two months than I saw from Robin in 4 years.

That may be true but what is he teaching? I saw a video where he had the whole team practicing bunting during the Red Sox series. His love of bunting is scary.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 12:20 AM)
That may be true but what is he teaching? I saw a video where he had the whole team practicing bunting during the Red Sox series. His love of bunting is scary.

Also might want to remind players to cover the base on a steal attempt. Three times this week they forgot.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 07:06 PM)
I've seen more teaching from Renteria in two months than I saw from Robin in 4 years.

It seems that people are forgetting this. And forgetting that this is Renteria's second season as a manager.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 02:02 AM)
It seems that people are forgetting this. And forgetting that this is Renteria's second season as a manager.

The excessive bunting was an issue when he was with the Cubs. He's had a few years to change his philosophy and he clearly hasn't. No denying he's a good teacher and relates well to the players.

Edited by fathom

Except those young Cubs' players were more impressive offensive talents...whereas I think there's a tendency to look at all of our plethora of offensive holes and feel more pressure to manufacture runs and give the starting pitchers confidence early?

I guess it's a tough one to explain, bunting more in the AL than the NL...where it's a more natural fit with all the pitchers/PHer's batting.

And for all the teaching, the overall defense the last week or so has been atrocious. Anderson has definitely taken a step back. We all know about Abreu's woes. I guess the best thing you can say is that Avi has been better, Sanchez his usual self and Davidson/Frazier solid. Obviously the catching situation continues to be another black hole.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 07:32 PM)
3 yr deal, chief.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Wahoo

I protest that! (Not to mention there are many Native American tribes and even a university near Greg in KS)

Just kidding, Flavum (not to be confused with Fathom because of your seemingly ubiquitous W/L record extrapolations and projections, lol)

Logo_of_the_Cleveland_Indians__1946_1950_.png

Logo_of_the_Cleveland_Indians__1946_1950_.png

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 09:03 PM)
You had to know it would. The cry was against Ventura last year and everyone wanted Renteria and now he's the target

Thats exactly why i posted that....

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 08:03 PM)
You had to know it would. The cry was against Ventura last year and everyone wanted Renteria and now he's the target

Again, there's no problem in evaluating a manager in my eyes. I never said he should be fired immediately or anything. In-game managing is just a clear weakness of his.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 08:05 PM)
The excessive bunting was an issue when he was with the Cubs. He's had a few years to change his philosophy and he clearly hasn't. No denying he's a good teacher and relates well to the players.

If I remember correctly, the Cubs stressed bunting during the first couple years of their rebuild. Remember those bunting tourney's they had?