2015 Films thread

Balta1701

I just posted this in the 2014 thread but realized it's a new year. No other movie should lead off this thread.

The only movie that matters in 2015 just ran a commercial during the Rose Bowl for their next trailer. A commercial for a trailer just convinced me to watch the NCAA championship game.

So, trailer #2, 11 days.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 1, 2015 -> 06:25 PM)
I just posted this in the 2014 thread but realized it's a new year. No other movie should lead off this thread.

The only movie that matters in 2015 just ran a commercial during the Rose Bowl for their next trailer. A commercial for a trailer just convinced me to watch the NCAA championship game.

So, trailer #2, 11 days.

Clicked the link expecting Star Wars, closed out of the window very disappointed.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 1, 2015 -> 10:32 PM)
Clicked the link expecting Star Wars, closed out of the window very disappointed.

Yeah, barely excited. Liked seeing the Millennium Falcon in the trailer but literally haven't watched a solid, new Star Wars movie since I was

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 03:47 AM)
Yeah, barely excited. Liked seeing the Millennium Falcon in the trailer but literally haven't watched a solid, new Star Wars movie since I was

oh man, i kinda like the "pitch all the lefties"

this this one has some cool art work. really nice.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 1, 2015 -> 10:32 PM)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 12:21 PM)
This. Agreed.

Genuinely surprised that people are looking forward to that movie so much.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 11:30 AM)
Genuinely surprised that people are looking forward to that movie so much.

Im not a Star Wars fan but how could you be surprised? It's a phenomenon. Wait until fall when the release gets even closer.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
Im not a Star Wars fan but how could you be surprised? It's a phenomenon. Wait until fall when the release gets even closer.

I lived through the last 3 and watched people get more and more down about them as they were released. Similar recent effect is the Hobbit - first one here was big news, by this one I saw it but knew it was going to be terrible and no one really seemed to care.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 11:45 AM)
I lived through the last 3 and watched people get more and more down about them as they were released. Similar recent effect is the Hobbit - first one here was big news, by this one I saw it but knew it was going to be terrible and no one really seemed to care.

Once George Lucas was removed from the equation, all bets were off

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 07:41 PM)
76 reviews in at RT and Selma is still at 100%. That pretty unprecedented.

There are 2 movies from earlier this year that have 100% with 50+ reviews.

Just going back a few years, it seems there is always at least 1, usually 2 movies that have 100% by the end. 2011 had 5 movies with 100%.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 2, 2015 -> 08:35 PM)
There are 2 movies from earlier this year that have 100% with 50+ reviews.

Just going back a few years, it seems there is always at least 1, usually 2 movies that have 100% by the end. 2011 had 5 movies with 100%.

Out of thousands of movies per year.

Whiplash was simply excellent (albeit uncomfortable at times) with a Supporting Actor nomination due for JK Simmons and possibly one for Miles Teller (will believe it when I see it).

Selma, as mentioned above, happens to have the advantage of being incredibly timely to revisit and one of the best "historical" films in ages...right there above Spielberg's Lincoln. The recent trend of taking one slice of history to encapsulate a person instead of doing a 3+ hour biopic seems to be catching on with screenwriters/producers.

Will be incredibly shocked if Oweleyo doesn't win the Oscar for portraying MLK so well. About the only criticism I've seen of this film so far has been the historical accuracy of ANYONE really standing up in a confrontational manner to LBJ in that way. Supposedly, the FBI tapes say it never happened. But it definitely makes for a better, more dramatic script.

But back to MLK and Whiplash's "Tiger Mentor/Conductor" Terrence Fletcher...the actors absolutely inhabit those roles to the point where they become someone else and you almost forget you're watching a performance. With Foxcatcher, you can never quite separate yourself from Carell, Tatum and Ruffalo, as a counterexample.

Edited by caulfield12