White Sox have worked out Eddy Julio Martinez twice or more

southsider2k5

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think the Sox will be willing to take the hit of 100% tax penalty that it will take to sign this guy. I really dont see there being any other way to get him. The Cubs have seem to throw everything but the kitchen sink at these international players without a care of the penalty so I would bet they will probably get him too.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 05:23 PM)
ugh, thought I was posting in the sox/cubs thread. sorry guys, I'll delete

but i did too LOL

I think we did?

I swear something pulled the ol switcharoo

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 05:01 PM)
I dont think the Sox will be willing to take the hit of 100% tax penalty that it will take to sign this guy. I really dont see there being any other way to get him. The Cubs have seem to throw everything but the kitchen sink at these international players without a care of the penalty so I would bet they will probably get him too.

Then waste your time working him out? They only have a few hundred thousand dollars left under this years cap number.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 05:41 PM)
Then waste your time working him out? They only have a few hundred thousand dollars left under this years cap number.

Yeah, they're not working out him out for kicks and giggles. They know what signing him would mean.

They really f***ed up with those rules. It should be that once you go x dollars over your bonus pool, you can't sign any players. Not, once you go over your bonus pool, you have every incentive to keep throwing as much money as possible at players because the penalty won't kick in until next year.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 07:02 PM)
They really f***ed up with those rules. It should be that once you go x dollars over your bonus pool, you can't sign any players. Not, once you go over your bonus pool, you have every incentive to keep throwing as much money as possible at players because the penalty won't kick in until next year.

Yeah, they didn't envision teams taking this approach. The rules will change next time for sure.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 05:16 PM)
If they are serious, I wish they had played it smarter and taken full advantage of the 2 year penalty they'd get.

There are a lot of Cubans available that would make it worth while to go over this year, all much more advanced than the 16 year olds that are typically signed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 09:23 PM)
Yeah, they didn't envision teams taking this approach. The rules will change next time for sure.

Yes, they will all be subject to a draft.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 11:04 AM)
There are a lot of Cubans available that would make it worth while to go over this year, all much more advanced than the 16 year olds that are typically signed.

Yes, they will all be subject to a draft.

I still think they should be punished beyond that (even though I know they won't).

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 11:30 AM)
I still think they should be punished beyond that (even though I know they won't).

Yes, they expanded the original punishment from 1 season to two, but, there are always going teams that find their way around whatever system is put in place. I am sure with the draft it will be about trying to shield guys and sign them in free agency to deals worth more money than they would have had gotten in the draft.

• 3 weeks later...