JB Shuck

Jose Abreu

People tend to forget that Shuck finished 5th in 2013 AL ROY voting- he hit .293 for the Angels. 2014 was rough for him, as he hit .145 in just 110 ABs. This year, he's at .288 in limited playing time. He's always getting us clutch hits, but he's stuck behind Eaton, Cabrera, and Garcia in the outfield. Does he deserve more playing time?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 05:31 PM)
People tend to forget that Shuck finished 5th in 2013 AL ROY voting- he hit .293 for the Angels. 2014 was rough for him, as he hit .145 in just 110 ABs. This year, he's at .288 in limited playing time. He's always getting us clutch hits, but he's stuck behind Eaton, Cabrera, and Garcia in the outfield. Does he deserve more playing time?

I'd start rotating him.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 11:33 PM)
I'd start rotating him.

Probably a good idea. Let him take some of Eaton and Avi's at bats. I may despise Melky, but at least he has had some multi hit games of late. Shuck is at least as good as Eaton IMO so he might as well take some of Eaton's at bats.

An under appreciated fact is that he hits both right handed and left handed pitching equally. He's only had a hand full of at bats vs. LHP this season, but he has proven that he can handle southpaws. I've liked him for a long time, and have been disappointed that he hasn't been given more playing time, especially as poorly as so many guys have performed. Although he lacks power, he gets on base, and doesn't strike out much.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 05:31 PM)
People tend to forget that Shuck finished 5th in 2013 AL ROY voting- he hit .293 for the Angels. 2014 was rough for him, as he hit .145 in just 110 ABs.

Yet is OPS was below .700 that year.

No power at all.

He hasn't proven to be more than a 4th OF in my mind.

I think so. At least seeing some more at bats. Garcia and LaRoche haven't necessarily earned their AB's and have been cold. I wouldn't mind seeing Garcia DH maybe 2 times a week and sit once. Get Shuck in there 2-3 times a week while he's playing well. He seems to know how to play the game right.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 10:10 AM)
He can put an AB together way better than Laroche- at least he can battle a pitcher. I'd start giving him more of Laroche's ABs

This.

LaRoche has just been plain bad. I know people slump but I don't even remember the last time he had a big hit. Sit him and Let Shuck DH. I have been saying to let Conor do it since he's bad isn't terribad but LaRoche can't protect Abreu, no one on this team can really.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 10:13 AM)
This.

LaRoche has just been plain bad. I know people slump but I don't even remember the last time he had a big hit. Sit him and Let Shuck DH. I have been saying to let Conor do it since he's bad isn't terribad but LaRoche can't protect Abreu, no one on this team can really.

That's why I wanted VMart. But not at his contract. We need some protection for Abreu.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 10:10 AM)
He can put an AB together way better than Laroche- at least he can battle a pitcher. I'd start giving him more of Laroche's ABs

I hope we somehow rid of LaRoche at the deadline. Then Shuck could play RF regularly with Avi DHing

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)
I hope we somehow rid of LaRoche at the deadline. Then Shuck could play RF regularly with Avi DHing

I so hope St. Louis takes him off our hands. If only his bat would show some life so we could get more than recycled batting gloves for him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 04:12 PM)
This is a horrible idea. In what world has Shuck shown enough to get regular playing time?

In what world has he shown enough to not get regular playing time? With his performance in limited time, he at least deserves a chance.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)
In what world has he shown enough to not get regular playing time? With his performance in limited time, he at least deserves a chance.

Dude has no power, we can't afford another slap hitter getting everyday at-bats. He's proved me wrong as a 4th OF, but I'm confident he wouldn't be much of an upgrade over Avi as a regular if at all, and definitely without much upside. If you can find a taker for LaRoche, which I think is a good idea, move Avi to LF/DH and let Thompson get the playing time in RF.

I've said it before, but it bares repeating: The problem with La Roche is that he is counted on to be our clean up hitter, which he clearly is incapable of doing.

The objective should be to unload his contract and clear a spot for someone, who hopefully can fill that spot in the lineup next season.

Do you really want to go into 2016 with Adam La Roche in this lineup? How many at bats Shuck gets, in his place, the rest of this season is irrelevant.

This team is going nowhere this year, but has the pitching to be contenders next year, if the offense can be fixed. Upgrading La Roche should be one of the highest priorities,

in achieving that objective.

• 2 months later...
QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 07:36 PM)
Bumped- yet another clutch PH RBI from him tonight, and a spectacular catch last night.

I hope he stays on as the 4th OF next year.

It would seem that spot is needed for Thompson or Avi. Not sure why they didn't trade him by end of August.