Historic Sox Audio...

Lip Man 1

Fans:

Just wanted to remind everyone that new features have been added to the "This Date In Sox History" page at Chicago Now / Sox Net.

July 31st was one of the most memorable days in franchise history.

There are a number of notations listed for the day but I wanted to point out that there are four historic audio clips available to listen to from events in Sox history as well. Daniel Shapiro helped me get this done and I wanted to give him a big "shout out" for doing so.

The four from July 31st are as follows:

1972 - The first of Dick Allen's two inside the park home runs in the same game at Minnesota. Sox would win 8-1. Announcer: Jack Drees. Courtesy: WFLD-TV / Chicago White Sox.

1977 - Chet Lemon's game tying home run in the last of the 10th inning against Kansas City. Announcers: Lorn Brown / Mary Shane. Courtesy: WMAQ Radio / Chicago White Sox.

1977 - Ralph Garr's game winning single a few batters later. Sox would win 5-4, led K.C. and Minnesota by 6 1/2 games. Announcers: Lorn Brown / Mary Shane. Courtesy: WMAQ Radio / Chicago White Sox.

1991 - Robin Ventura's walk off grand slam off Goose Gossage. Sox would win 10-8. Announcers: Ken "Hawk" Harrelson and Tom Paciorek. Courtesy: SportsChannel-Chicago / Chicago White Sox.

I hope you'll enjoy these clips. We'll have more of them in the future. On days that we do (say August 4th...hint, hint) I'll post here to remind everyone.

Also feel free to post your memories in this same thread! Where were you when the events happened? Were you watching or listening? What do you remember about that game / season?

Feel free to share those thoughts here.

Again I hope you enjoy these and thanks to Daniel.

Here is the link to that page: http://www.chicagonow.com/soxnet/2015/07/t...-comes-to-town/

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did many times. Was at the game where he pinch hit the three run home run in the 9th inning to beat the Yankees and then later that season was sitting in the center field bleachers near Harry Caray when he blasted a pitch into them. Caray went crazy...almost caught the ball in his net.

That was on August 23, 1972 and yes when that day rolls around we'll have the audio highlight of it.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 12:47 PM)
1991 - Robin Ventura's walk off grand slam off Goose Gossage. Sox would win 10-8. Announcers: Ken "Hawk" Harrelson and Tom Paciorek. Courtesy: SportsChannel-Chicago / Chicago White Sox.

Is that the one where Thomas hoists him on his back like a fireman? I love that highlight.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 12:36 PM)
Thanks for the amazing audio. Listen to the crowd in the clips from 1977. The crowds were so much louder in Old Comiskey.

And to think we didn't need a prompt on the scoreboard telling us to make some noise. ;)

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 07:14 AM)
Everything about the Blackout game, including Alexei's grand slam a couple days before if we're counting it.

Lol - I'm counting neither, actually. The "Blackout" game to which you are referring wasn't technically a playoff game, but rather the tie breaking game of the regular season that year, game #163. But I will give you it had the fun, energy and excitement of a playoff game. And god knows our fan base has been deprived of that experience over the years (just five measly trips to the postseason over the past - get this - 55 years!), so no wonder we made the most of it that particular day. And also no wonder with such a lack of postseason exposure in your lifetime with this team that you were inclined to reach back for the Alexei grand slam to answer my question. That was very telling in and of itself!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 10:24 AM)
So bitter. I have no idea why you still watch.

Lol - well that's an easy one to answer. I watch because I am a fan - long suffering, admittedly, like yourself, what with the team's poor track record over the years and all, but a fan nonetheless. I'm also particularly interested now that there's an outside chance the team could slip into the playoffs. That doesn't happen very often for us as you know, so I remain hopeful that it does, and then, who knows? Once yer in, anything can happen! And maybe if they do make it to the postseason this year and proceed to make a good run at it while they're in there, you might just actually be able to provide an answer to the "What's your favorite playoff memory outside of 2005?" question. That seemed to be a stickler for you the first time you were asked.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 11:49 AM)
Lol - well that's an easy one to answer. I watch because I am a fan - long suffering, admittedly, like yourself, what with the team's poor track record over the years and all, but a fan nonetheless. I'm also particularly interested now that there's an outside chance the team could slip into the playoffs. That doesn't happen very often for us as you know, so I remain hopeful that it does, and then, who knows? Once yer in, anything can happen! And maybe if they do make it to the postseason this year and proceed to make a good run at it while they're in there, you might just actually be able to provide an answer to the "What's your favorite playoff memory outside of 2005?" question. That seemed to be a stickler for you the first time you were asked.

There are plenty there, but honestly, it does no good to waste them with someone who is just looking to tear down everything and be bitter. But then again I don't have the instant gratification standard where I need a playoff team to enjoy baseball. Baseball is a great game. If you keep sticking to the 5 in 55 mantra, you are missing out on 50 years. Seems like a waste of time to me.

There are plenty there,

Oh really? Like what? The highlights of the other four playoff experiences by the White Sox absent the 2005 run, from 1960 to the present, can be counted on one hand. The team only one four games in those measly other appearances.

but honestly, it does no good to waste them with someone who is just looking to tear down everything and be bitter.

I am not bitter nor do I want to be, so please stop classifying me as such. You don't know me. I will say without hesitation that I am disappointed over the many years of ineptitude by the franchise, but who true fan wouldn't be? I WANT SUCCESS FOR THE CHICAGO WHITE SOX! What do you find such a "bitter" perspective about that? Is that too much to ask for?

But then again I don't have the instant gratification standard where I need a playoff team to enjoy baseball. Baseball is a great game. If you keep sticking to the 5 in 55 mantra, you are missing out on 50 years. Seems like a waste of time to me.

Ok, SS2K5. I get - and respect - where you are coming from. And you are 100% correct - "baseball is a great game". No arguments here about that. But from a franchise perspective, and then ultimately from a fan base perspective, those missed opportunities in those 50 years out of the last 55 have made a difference, at least attendance-wise. My continued hope is that will change. Am I confident that will, given the current ownership/management structure? No, because the JR/KW/RH brain trust configuration of the past 13 years creates no confidence in me doing so. Doesn't mean that can't happen, but the track record isn't encouraging. But absent any suggestion of change in the current management team, all I'm left with is fingers-crossed hope of improvement for the team.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 10:09 PM)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 10:55 AM)

There are plenty there,

Oh really? Like what? The highlights of the other four playoff experiences by the White Sox absent the 2005 run, from 1960 to the present, can be counted on one hand. The team only one four games in those measly other appearances.

but honestly, it does no good to waste them with someone who is just looking to tear down everything and be bitter.

I am not bitter nor do I want to be, so please stop classifying me as such. You don't know me. I will say without hesitation that I am disappointed over the many years of ineptitude by the franchise, but who true fan wouldn't be? I WANT SUCCESS FOR THE CHICAGO WHITE SOX! What do you find such a "bitter" perspective about that? Is that too much to ask for?

But then again I don't have the instant gratification standard where I need a playoff team to enjoy baseball. Baseball is a great game. If you keep sticking to the 5 in 55 mantra, you are missing out on 50 years. Seems like a waste of time to me.

Ok, SS2K5. I get - and respect - where you are coming from. And you are 100% correct - "baseball is a great game". No arguments here about that. But from a franchise perspective, and then ultimately from a fan base perspective, those missed opportunities in those 50 years out of the last 55 have made a difference, at least attendance-wise. My continued hope is that will change. Am I confident that will, given the current ownership/management structure? No, because the JR/KW/RH brain trust configuration of the past 13 years creates no confidence in me doing so. Doesn't mean that can't happen, but the track record isn't encouraging. But absent any suggestion of change in the current management team, all I'm left with is fingers-crossed hope of improvement for the team.

Reading the responses here, and all of your other responses, nothing is ever enjoyed. It is all about the 50 years they lost. If that isn't bitter, I don't know what is. You have made it clear you get nothing out of a year that doesn't involve the playoffs, otherwise it wouldn't be post after post about 5 in 55. Even with a clear chance to tell me you aren't bitter, you spend the whole time talking about all of the things you are bitter about. That is just such a waste. Find something you enjoy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 09:38 PM)
Reading the responses here, and all of your other responses, nothing is ever enjoyed. It is all about the 50 years they lost. If that isn't bitter, I don't know what is. You have made it clear you get nothing out of a year that doesn't involve the playoffs, otherwise it wouldn't be post after post about 5 in 55. Even with a clear chance to tell me you aren't bitter, you spend the whole time talking about all of the things you are bitter about. That is just such a waste. Find something you enjoy.

I enjoy winning. Don't you? Certainly beats being "bitter" about some made-up garbage about an alleged "excuse laden" fan base that you cannot back up with anything resembling facts. Just YOUR bitter construed conjecture. Talk about a waste.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 10:49 PM)
I enjoy winning. Don't you? Certainly beats being "bitter" about some made-up garbage about an alleged "excuse laden" fan base that you cannot back up with anything resembling facts. Just YOUR bitter construed conjecture. Talk about a waste.

Excuse laden is very accurate. Post after post of yours is all of the excuses for the fan base. How many times have you sighted the 5 in 55? Funny how that works, right?

Winning is nice, but I don't need winning to get enjoyment out of the White Sox... unlike some.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 09:56 PM)
Winning is nice, but I don't need winning to get enjoyment out of the White Sox... unlike some.

Got it. Now at least we know where your argument starts and ends.

2015 = 2009 = 2006 = 2003 = 2001 = 1997 = 1992 = 1987 = 1984 = 1980 = 1976...so on and so forth.

The team's results clearly don't matter to you, because you enjoy the White Sox no matter how they do. Alright, that's good for you, I guess, if winning is just something "nice" for you. Some by-product that if it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, oh well, it doesn't. Fine, I respect that. Just be respectful of those - and there are many of us, btw - who aim for something a little bit more than that.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 10:06 PM)
Got it. Now at least we know where your argument starts and ends.

2015 = 2009 = 2006 = 2003 = 2001 = 1997 = 1992 = 1987 = 1984 = 1980 = 1976...so on and so forth.

The team's results clearly don't matter to you, because you enjoy the White Sox no matter how they do. Alright, that's good for you, I guess, if winning is just something "nice" for you. Some by-product that if it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, oh well, it doesn't. Fine, I respect that. Just be respectful of those - and there are many of us, btw - who aim for something a little bit more than that.

Not getting in the middle of this. All I can speak for is myself and my priority has been and will always be winning. I don't care if the sun is out, the beer is cold or the number of pretty women in the stands.

All I care about is the final score at the end of the game. The other stuff is nice to be around and see but it's a secondary concern to me.

I can appreciate those who feel 'it's all good' regardless of what type of season the Sox have (i.e. baseball for baseball's sake) but that's just not me.

Mark