Names on the back of player jerseys

Douglas Rome

back when Bill Veeck invented putting player's names on the jerseys, it was the road

uniform only. His reasoning was visiting teams players wouldn't be recognized and

associated by number to hometown fans. I think we should go back to that, I see some of

the teams no longer have names. thanks, douglas

Old guys need names. Back in Veeck's day there might have been only 16 teams, rosters didn't turn over as much, and there were no baseball TV packages, MLB Networks, etc. Just because the snobby Yankees don't use names, doesn't mean the rest of the free world should follow suit.

Edited by oldsox

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 09:49 AM)
back when Bill Veeck invented putting player's names on the jerseys, it was the road

uniform only. His reasoning was visiting teams players wouldn't be recognized and

associated by number to hometown fans. I think we should go back to that, I see some of

the teams no longer have names. thanks, douglas

i like this little bit of history and i like your point.

excellent.

There is literally no downside to names on jerseys, except for teams who do nameplates that look crappy (thank God the Sox don't). Off the top of my head, the names on the back of NFL jerseys look really crappy and cheap.

I personally get a bit annoyed when I tune into a Yankees game or Red Sox or Giants home game and don't know right away who's pitching. Luckily some of the TV broadcasts (FOX especially) have started displaying the pitcher/batter names throughout the entire AB above the scorebug now.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 08:55 AM)
There is literally no downside to names on jerseys, except for teams who do nameplates that look crappy (thank God the Sox don't). Off the top of my head, the names on the back of NFL jerseys look really crappy and cheap.

I personally get a bit annoyed when I tune into a Yankees game or Red Sox or Giants home game and don't know right away who's pitching. Luckily some of the TV broadcasts (FOX especially) have started displaying the pitcher/batter names throughout the entire AB above the scorebug now.

Completely agree. It should be mandatory in today's game.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)
Completely agree. It should be mandatory in today's game.

i agree.

the game is getting bigger, the players changes from team to team thru fa's, it will be easier to quickly look at the players name and lastly it will be great for marketing and selling more jersey's.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 3, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
Old guys need names. Back in Veeck's day there might have been only 16 teams, rosters didn't turn over as much, and there were no baseball TV packages, MLB Networks, etc. Just because the snobby Yankees don't use names, doesn't mean the rest of the free world should follow suit.

i just saw this.... i got some words for you young whipper snapper...... i just can't remember right now what those words are. :huh :crying

we talk about the Yankees, anyone but me remember when Bill Veeck invented the

exploding scoreboard? Casey Stengel would have his players run up and down in

front of the dugout with sparklers. That's the kind of show we don't have anymore. thanks, douglas

In 1991, when the Sox first rolled out this current version of the uniform (and a classic one at that!), there were no names on the home unis. And I kind of liked that, because there was then something more imposing about just having the number "35" on the back of Big Hurt's uni, or of course good, 'ol #72 on the back of the Commander's. I think it's kind of interesting and fun for the number itself to become identified with the player. And when they ended up putting the names on the backs, with Thomas, for example, when you'd then see the name "Thomas" on top of the 35, it was like, "Duh - I knew that!". So I'd be a fan of the names on the home unis going away, but that's just me! : )

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 10:22 PM)
I think with jersey sales most likely at an all time high these days, removing names is not happening.

or it could improve it .... i am basing this opinion on the bo jackson jersey in white sox garb.

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 10:43 PM)
we talk about the Yankees, anyone but me remember when Bill Veeck invented the

exploding scoreboard? Casey Stengel would have his players run up and down in

front of the dugout with sparklers. That's the kind of show we don't have anymore. thanks, douglas

and if ty cobb .... prob will have a bone fire with the jerseys burning, while sharpening his spikes.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 04:26 PM)
or it could improve it .... i am basing this opinion on the bo jackson jersey in white sox garb.

Yeah but if you or someone is sporting a Bo Jackson number 8 with no name, is it Bo, or Albert Belle, or Alex Cintron or someone else?

There is a reason game worn Konerko jerseys have a $1000 price tag on them at Sox parties, and you can pick up a Scott Downs game worn for $25.

Even non game worms, the name personalized it even more, which IMO increases sales. You see so many more people wearing jerseys to games these days.

I love the name on the jersey look.

When I played baseball in college a few years ago, we had our names on the back our jerseys. It felt like a sense of accomplishment, and that people can know who you are, rather than just going off numbers.

That's just me though.