Luis Robert

Jose Abreu

James Fegan‏

@JRFegan

Hello from Glendale.

Luis Robert talks about Yoan Moncada the way Yoan Moncada talks about Jose Abreu.

James Fegan‏

@JRFegan

In spirit with Abreu picking up Moncada from the airport on the day he was called up, Robert says Moncada has been driving him to and from the White Sox facility, leading him through workouts and giving advice

James Fegan‏

@JRFegan

Luis Robert says it’s up to the team to decide, but his goal is to be in the majors this season

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 12:57 PM)
He's seen so little baseball of the level he should be. I'm hoping for a quick take-off, but I'm nervous he's going to struggle right away and get frustrated

Yeah, I think Spring Training will give us a good idea of kind of where he is at, but my expectation is that he will struggle for the majority of this season and kind of figure it out towards the end.

I love seeing the obvious athletic ability, nice physique, nice swing, and nice hair...and believe me I love it all...but baseball is so much as mental as it is physical that I have no real opinion on the kid until I see that come through in game action as well. As far as I know he may really suck at actually playing the game of baseball once others mentally attack him.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 04:18 PM)
I love seeing the obvious athletic ability, nice physique, nice swing, and nice hair...and believe me I love it all...but baseball is so much as mental as it is physical that I have no real opinion on the kid until I see that come through in game action as well. As far as I know he may really suck at actually playing the game of baseball once others mentally attack him.

As the great Yogi Berra once said: "Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical."

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 04:41 PM)
Moncada seems like a really good guy. Am I wrong here? I remember watching his kids when Moncada got his first Wsox homer and everyhing I hear about him seems like a good guy. If so, even better to root for him.

I have been surprised how well he handles the media. Especially with how ostentatious he sounded with his car buying you weren't sure if it was a sign of arrogance as with Puig, but if he is it certainly doesn't sound like it.

But the other part is I'm sure there is a bond and connection with other baseball players coming from Cuba, it's an experience few could possibly relate to.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 03:50 PM)
I have been surprised how well he handles the media. Especially with how ostentatious he sounded with his car buying you weren't sure if it was a sign of arrogance as with Puig, but if he is it certainly doesn't sound like it.

But the other part is I'm sure there is a bond and connection with other baseball players coming from Cuba, it's an experience few could possibly relate to.

It doesn't hurt that they have 40 million dollars between them

Birmingham would be crazy aggressive.

I think he definitely starts in Kanny to get his feet wet and build some confidence, unless he just totally blows everyone away in camp and ends up at Winston-Salem.

Let's not forget we heard the same things about Viciedo as a 19 year old, and, while he did reach the big leagues in just two years, it took him a good 3+ years in the minors before he broke into the line-up as a regular LFer. Of course, part of that was all the position changes, 3B/1B/LF/RF.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 07:04 PM)
Birmingham would be crazy aggressive.

I think he definitely starts in Kanny to get his feet wet and build some confidence, unless he just totally blows everyone away in camp and ends up at Winston-Salem.

Let's not forget we heard the same things about Viciedo as a 19 year old, and, while he did reach the big leagues in just two years, it took him a good 3+ years in the minors before he broke into the line-up as a regular LFer. Of course, part of that was all the position changes, 3B/1B/LF/RF.

So what you are saying is let’s compare him to Viciedo even though we shouldn’t because they are different players but why the hell not let’s compare them anyway. Cuba, samesies

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 06:26 PM)
The Athletic published a Robert article just now. I'm not a subscriber but perhaps there's some insight to listing Birmingham as a potential starting place for him in there.

It’s just about how everyone there was oogling him and how him, Moncada and Engel look like chiseled machines.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 07:50 PM)
So what you are saying is let’s compare him to Viciedo even though we shouldn’t because they are different players but why the hell not let’s compare them anyway. Cuba, samesies

But how many Instagram pictures did Jorge Soler have as a 19 year old?

Some tidbits from the article on the Athletic:

It's not like Robert is on a high school team or anything. For giant physical presences, he's still smaller than Eloy Jimenez, who was launching equally loud blasts in the batting cage next to him. Robert's home runs weren't any longer than those of 2017 second-round pick Gavin Sheets, who looks like he's starting to loft the ball with regularity.

Robert's bulging muscles were clearly defined in his black body sleeve, but in a locker room where Yoan Moncada looks like he spent the offseason lifting cars over his head, and Adam Engel looks like the favorite to be part of a “added _____ pounds of muscle” spring training storyline, Robert's 6-foot-3, 185-pound (listed) frame doesn't look out of place.

Yet you could still spy Sox director of conditioning Allen Thomas on one knee, admiring Robert from afar.

“He's chiseled,” Thomas said.

If you don't trust your own eyes, and I rarely do, the players will let you know who is special. The way Winston-Salem Dash players gawked at Jimenez when he arrived in July from the Cubs, that's how the Sox youngsters in Glendale in January reacted to their new pompadoured teammate.

“He's looking like a great baseball player,” Jimenez said. “He's a little shy. We Latinos are more outspoken and more friendly. He's just a little bit shy. But on the field he looks great. He's a humble person. The money he got when he signed hasn't been in his head. That's good. Sometimes when you sign a big bonus, if you're not strong enough mentally, that can hurt you.”

I'd highly suggest subscribing. It's worth the $5/m and if you buy a year it's cheaper. There's more good stuff in the article on Moncada, Micker, Eloy etc.

https://theathletic.com/213760/2018/01/16/l...y-on-instagram/

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 06:12 PM)

I'd highly suggest subscribing. It's worth the $5/m and if you buy a year it's cheaper. There's more good stuff in the article on Moncada, Micker, Eloy etc.

Agreed. And if you look, you can often get it for 30-50% off.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 08:12 PM)

Jiminez really needs to take a break from being so f***ing impressive, it's exhausting.