Early ChiSox Draft Ideas

ChiSoxJon

MLB.com just released the Top 100 2013 MLB Draft prospects. Below are my personal favorites (not necessarily for Chicago):

1. Mark Appel

3. Sean Manea

5. Austin Meadows

9. Ryne Stanek

18. Jonathan Crawford

31. Aaron Judge

37. Dylan Covey

100. Buck Farmer

Chicago holds the #17, #55, and #91 picks within the top 100.

Share your thoughts and ideas.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After looking over my other post from last night, it seems as if the White Sox will address there needs at LHP and 3B early on in the draft. A few prospects ranked prospects near the White Sox selections (17, 55, 91) for positions of need:

LHP:

15. Ian Clarkin, CA HS San Diego commit, solid 3-pitch mix, needs better fastball command, project

19. Marco Gonzales, Gonzaga 4 pitch mix, great control, low 90s fastball, excellent slider

26. Tom Windle, Minnesota power pitcher, mid 90s fastball

45. Matt Krook, CA HS

52. Robert Kaminsky, NJ HS

61. Stephen Tarpley, Scottsdale CC strike thrower, 94 mph fastball, originally USC recruit

62. Chris Kohler, CA HS

63. Hunter Green, KY HS

67. Kent Emmanuel, UNC

97. Aaron Brown, Pepperdine

3B:

6. Kris Bryant, San Diego

7. Colin Moran, UNC strong power-hitting third basemen

51. Cavan Biggio, TX HS Craig's son, hard, contact hitter, fast, limited power, may move to 2B or CF

57. Andy McGuire, VA HS

59. Chad Pinder, VA Tech

88. Trey Williams, CA JC Son of former MLBer (Eddie), big, strong, power-hitter, good range, once considered top 50 2012 Draft prospects

95. Tucker Neuhaus, FL HS

Chisox usually draft a college player first round but this may change under Hahn who may also stop taking 5 tool players early as well. Look for Hahn's first selection to be either a power hitting corner infielder, young LHP, or yet another college RHP. My favorite players of the one's i listed are in bold. I'd really like to see Chicago draft a player from GA Tech (Brandon Thomas, Daniel Palka, Buck Farmer, Zane Evans), I've been a huge fan of this team since I saw them play in the ACC Tournament last year and I think all four of the players I just listed above can make it. Local players that live near myself (Jersey Shore) include Joe Dudek a monster power hitting 1B from CBA (Local powerhouse) who's committed to UNC, he's ranked in the early 100's and projected to go from rounds 3-7, and Andrew McGee, a LHP from Monmouth University (Pat Light, Ryan Buch, Brad Brach, Brett Brach). He's more of a late day two/three type of player.

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Apr 21, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)
The White Sox should draft the best player.

It's usually quite rare that there's an obviously best player available when you draft at any spot other than the top couple choices. More common is you get to choose from a handful of roughly equal value picks.

The last time I can remember the Sox having a clear best player available to choose from, it was this guy name Chris Sale.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 21, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)
It's usually quite rare that there's an obviously best player available when you draft at any spot other than the top couple choices. More common is you get to choose from a handful of roughly equal value picks.

The last time I can remember the Sox having a clear best player available to choose from, it was this guy name Chris Sale.

Many considered Hawkins to be the BPA at the Sox draft position last year as well. I was rather surprised he was still around.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 21, 2013 -> 01:38 PM)
Many considered Hawkins to be the BPA at the Sox draft position last year as well. I was rather surprised he was still around.

I was just about to say that, I thought he would be gone between #9 and #11, but once I saw an athletic outfielder with a football background was available, I knew KW couldn't resist. I originally thought they would take a HS pitcher. I hope this year, they have a similar draft to their 2012 draft, lot more HS players and risks than in 2011 (a safe, boring draft class).

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 21, 2013 -> 01:26 PM)
I was just about to say that, I thought he would be gone between #9 and #11, but once I saw an athletic outfielder with a football background was available, I knew KW couldn't resist. I originally thought they would take a HS pitcher. I hope this year, they have a similar draft to their 2012 draft, lot more HS players and risks than in 2011 (a safe, boring draft class).

What's wrong with the 2011 class? They didn't have a first round pick and Erik Johnson is looking like the best pitching prospect in the system. Not to mention Scott Snodgress looks pretty good, too. That may be all the Sox get out of that class, but to have 2 MLB pitchers out of a class that didn't have a first round pick is pretty good.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 21, 2013 -> 04:44 PM)
What's wrong with the 2011 class? They didn't have a first round pick and Erik Johnson is looking like the best pitching prospect in the system. Not to mention Scott Snodgress looks pretty good, too. That may be all the Sox get out of that class, but to have 2 MLB pitchers out of a class that didn't have a first round pick is pretty good.

The 2011 draft class was very safe, only college and JC signees, no one from HS. Nothing was really terrible with it considering it produced Johnson, Snodgress, Walker, and Semien. But it didn't feature anyone that young like Hawkins, Barnum, Ayala, or Basto. The 2012 draft class for Chicago had a good mix of HS players and college players (Beck, DeMichele, Brennan). For me that made the 2012 draft class a lot more interesting than the 2011 class.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 21, 2013 -> 05:44 PM)
The 2011 draft class was very safe, only college and JC signees, no one from HS. Nothing was really terrible with it considering it produced Johnson, Snodgress, Walker, and Semien. But it didn't feature anyone that young like Hawkins, Barnum, Ayala, or Basto. The 2012 draft class for Chicago had a good mix of HS players and college players (Beck, DeMichele, Brennan). For me that made the 2012 draft class a lot more interesting than the 2011 class.

Who cares how old the players are? The only thing that matters is that these players create value for the Major League team.

Jeremy Reed and Beckham are the only position players I can recall that were consensus first-team/All-America type that we've drafted fairly high.

Seems that we need a more refined hitter, higher contact/BB rate, maybe a bit lower ceiling, but one who will definitely make it to the majors and contribute. A speedier, more athletic/dynamic version of the player Keppinger was supposed to be in the 2 hole, kind of along the lines of Almora with the Cubs.

Of course, there's a downside to those NCAA All-America type players like a Beckham or Alex Gordon. If you'll recall that Garcia trade, the players that eventually had the greatest MLB impact were Olivo and, of course, Michael Morse. At the time of the trade, Reed was the biggest name involved from a prospect standpoint (although Olivo had enjoyed some MLB success and also showed off that arm every opportunity he had).

But it took Morse a long time to come around...he didn't ever produce for SEA, and, at that time, he was transitioning from SS to 3B and eventually LF, so he was more of a utility player because of his height (making SS impossible) and lack of power.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 02:49 AM)
Jeremy Reed and Beckham are the only position players I can recall that were consensus first-team/All-America type that we've drafted fairly high.

Seems that we need a more refined hitter, higher contact/BB rate, maybe a bit lower ceiling, but one who will definitely make it to the majors and contribute. A speedier, more athletic/dynamic version of the player Keppinger was supposed to be in the 2 hole, kind of along the lines of Almora with the Cubs.

Of course, there's a downside to those NCAA All-America type players like a Beckham or Alex Gordon. If you'll recall that Garcia trade, the players that eventually had the greatest MLB impact were Olivo and, of course, Michael Morse. At the time of the trade, Reed was the biggest name involved from a prospect standpoint (although Olivo had enjoyed some MLB success and also showed off that arm every opportunity he had).

But it took Morse a long time to come around...he didn't ever produce for SEA, and, at that time, he was transitioning from SS to 3B and eventually LF, so he was more of a utility player because of his height (making SS impossible) and lack of power.

And once the Sox draft guys who don't have incredibly high ceilings, the 4 paragraph post will be about how the sox aren't aggressive enough in drafting guys who could become stars.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 01:27 AM)
Younger players have a longer time to reach their potential and high school players are often projects or could be later round steals because of their signability. Either way, they area more interesting prospect.

Who cares how interesting of a prospect they are? It's a results business. I don't care high school or college and no one should (or does) in retrospect. It's all about what they turned into, not where they came from.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 09:22 PM)
Who cares how interesting of a prospect they are? It's a results business. I don't care high school or college and no one should (or does) in retrospect. It's all about what they turned into, not where they came from.

But age is a massive factor in how players turn out. Guys drafted out of HS have 4 years more at-bats in a professional system.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 05:00 PM)
But age is a massive factor in how players turn out. Guys drafted out of HS have 4 years more at-bats in a professional system.

First of all, most top college players are only in school for 3 years. Second, it's still about results. You're going to tell me Chris Sale isn't as valuable because he came out of college? I'm not debating the value of college vs. high school picks because that's going to take a while. I'm just saying I don't care what they draft as long as they get the results.

CHICAGO WHITE SOX

Top 10-Rd. Picks: 17, 55, 91, 123, 153, 183, 213, 243, 273 & 303

Bonus Pool: $5,301,600

Scouting Director: Doug Laumann (ninth year; 2001-2003, 2008-present)

Laumann’s First-Round History: Kris Honel (16th overall, 2001), Royce Ring (18th overall, 2002), Brian Anderson (15th overall, 2003), Gordon Beckham (eighth overall, 2008), Jared Mitchell (23rd overall, 2009), Chris Sale (13th overall, 2010) & Courtney Hawkins (13th overall, 2012)

Laumann’s Top 5-Round Breakdown: 44 picks (19 college pitchers, 10 college position players, six high school pitchers & nine high school position players)

Outside of Kansas City, it’s remarkable how college-heavy the American League Central teams have drafted recently in the top five rounds. The White Sox rank behind Detroit, Minnesota and Cleveland in that regard but still have favored college players 2-to-1 under scouting director Doug Laumann.

That said, White Sox Midwest crosschecker Mike Shirley has been giving New Castle (Ind.) High lefthander Trey Ball private lessons for the past couple years, so he could be a fit at 17 . . . if he lasts that long. If not, the White Sox would love for a college bat like D.J. Peterson to fall and could be in a good spot for Arkansas righthander Ryne Stanek. This could also be the high-water mark for Fresno State outfielder Aaron Judge.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/what-...merican-league/

I'm a fan of Trey Ball and would be very okay with that pick. I also like Stanek, but his stock has dropped this year and there are some injury concerns. DJ Peterson would be drafted for his bat, as he doesn't really have a defensive home. Not a favorite of mine. Also not big on Aaron Judge. Corner OF type, but the power hasn't really showed up despite being an impressive physical specimen.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 11:07 PM)
http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/what-...merican-league/

I'm a fan of Trey Ball and would be very okay with that pick. I also like Stanek, but his stock has dropped this year and there are some injury concerns. DJ Peterson would be drafted for his bat, as he doesn't really have a defensive home. Not a favorite of mine. Also not big on Aaron Judge. Corner OF type, but the power hasn't really showed up despite being an impressive physical specimen.

Love Stanek, although he won't fall, would like Ball, Judge may be a bust or a big time power hitter, and I have to do my homework on Peterson.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 1, 2013 -> 01:42 PM)
Unfortunately, our pick in 2014 will be much higher than our 2013 pick.

If you're going to be awful, be good at being awful. If they aren't making the playoffs, much rather the Sox get a top 7-8 pick than in the 20 range.