Your 2019 White Sox

Chicago White Sox

Alright, I’m bored as hell and want to talk some Sox baseball. Given this offseason should be relatively quiet, I thought we could look ahead to 2019, which could be our first competive season with the right set of moves.

So the rules here are simple. Predict the 2019 opending day roster assuming a $120M payroll. Free agents & trades are obviously fair game, but make sure to include the details of those moves. Also, feel free to note if there are any major prospects you expect up early in the season (i.e. only being kept down to ensure an extra year of control).

Below is a list of potential 2018/19 free agents for your reference:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/2018...ree-agents.html

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Free Agents:

Manny Machado - 10/$300M (w/ opt-out)

Daniel Murphy - 2/$32M

Tyler Flowers - 2/$24M

Andrew Miller - 4/$64M

Trades:

Avi Garcia to OAK for SS/OF Jorge Mateo & RHP Daulton Jefferies

Roster:

1. L. Garcia, CF ($4M)

2. Moncada, 2B ($0.6M)

3. Machado, 3B ($30M)

4. Abreu, DH ($20M)

5. Jimenez, RF ($0.6M)

6. Murphy, 1B ($16M)

7. Anderson, SS ($1.0M)

8. Delmonico, LF ($0.6M)

9. Flowers, C ($12M)

Sub-total = $84.6M

IF: Sanchez ($4M)

OF: Polo ($0.6M)

UT: Cordell ($0.6M

BC: Narvaez* ($0.6M)

Sub-total = $5.8M

#1: Kopech ($0.6M)

#2: Rodon ($7M)

#3: Giolito ($0.6M)

#4: Lopez ($0.6M)

#5: Hansen ($0.6M)

Sub-total = $9.4M

CL: Burdi ($0.6M)

SU: Jones ($0.6M)

SU: Miller ($16M)

MR: Vieira ($0.6M)

MR: Fulmer ($0.6M)

MR: Guerrero ($0.6M)

LR: Stephens ($0.6M)

Sub-total = $19.6M

Grand-total = $119.4M

*Note: Collins would replace Narvaez by the end of June

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 18, 2017 -> 10:07 AM)
Free Agents:

Daniel Murphy - 2/$32M

Tyler Flowers - 2/$24M

Andrew Miller - 4/$64M

Trades:

Roster:

1. L. Garcia, CF ($4M)

2. Moncada, 2B ($0.6M)

3. Machado, 3B ($30M)

4. Abreu, DH ($20M)

5. Jimenez, RF ($0.6M)

6. Murphy, 1B ($16M)

7. Anderson, SS ($1.0M)

8. Delmonico, LF ($0.6M)

9. Flowers, C ($12M)

Sub-total = $84.6M

Sub-total = $5.8M

Sub-total = $9.4M

Sub-total = $19.6M

Grand-total = $119.4M

Man is that rotation something nasty

Love the Machado and Miller signings, but would absolutely pass on Murphy (I have Abreu at 1B and DH being split between Avi/Delmonico).

Flowers is an interesting vet that could split time with Collins, whom I think will get called up this September

A bench of C Narvaez/Flowers, 1B/3B Davidson, IF Sanchez, UT Cordell, and OF Palka/Engel/Polo/Tilson/May is what I envision

Can't wait, this doesn't even include Robert, Burger, Sheets, or any other '17, or'18 picks either

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 18, 2017 -> 07:07 AM)
Free Agents:

Daniel Murphy - 2/$32M

Tyler Flowers - 2/$24M

Andrew Miller - 4/$64M

Trades:

Roster:

1. L. Garcia, CF ($4M)

2. Moncada, 2B ($0.6M)

3. Machado, 3B ($30M)

4. Abreu, DH ($20M)

5. Jimenez, RF ($0.6M)

6. Murphy, 1B ($16M)

7. Anderson, SS ($1.0M)

8. Delmonico, LF ($0.6M)

9. Flowers, C ($12M)

Sub-total = $84.6M

Sub-total = $5.8M

Sub-total = $9.4M

Sub-total = $19.6M

Grand-total = $119.4M

Very nice!

My initial thought when reading your free agent signings was, "no way we're spending over 400 million bucks in a single off season."

Then I remembered how few financial commitments we have in the coming years and immediately did a 180. The 2019 offseason could be wildly entertaining for us Sox fans.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 18, 2017 -> 01:58 PM)
Very nice!

My initial thought when reading your free agent signings was, "no way we're spending over 400 million bucks in a single off season."

Then I remembered how few financial commitments we have in the coming years and immediately did a 180. The 2019 offseason could be wildly entertaining for us Sox fans.

Pretty awesome to have that much money to spend and very little needs

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Nov 18, 2017 -> 12:50 PM)
Man is that rotation something nasty

Love the Machado and Miller signings, but would absolutely pass on Murphy (I have Abreu at 1B and DH being split between Avi/Delmonico).

Flowers is an interesting vet that could split time with Collins, whom I think will get called up this September

A bench of C Narvaez/Flowers, 1B/3B Davidson, IF Sanchez, UT Cordell, and OF Palka/Engel/Polo/Tilson/May is what I envision

Can't wait, this doesn't even include Robert, Burger, Sheets, or any other '17, or'18 picks either

The 2018/19 offseason will be interesting for us because most of the pitching staff will be in place, but several of our key positional prospects will be a year or two or out. I agree that if all goes right Collins may receive a September callup. However, I think we’d be wise to wait until May of 2019 to ensure that extra year of player control. I think adding a veteran like Flowers on a short-term deal makes a ton of sense for us. Nothing wrong with easing in Collins into the full-time role and pairing him with a great mentor to learn from.

I figured the Murphy signing would be a little controversial, but I think we’ll need to add a temporary bat at either 1B or DH. Long-term I’m hoping either Burger or Sheets can fill that role, but I don’t see those guys as viable options until 2020 at the earliest. Murphy buys us some time and hopefully can be signed to a shorter-term deal assuming his defense at 2B continues to degrade. I also like the fact that Murphy brings a pro-hit tool to the lineup.

And yes, this doesn’t include Robert (who I think might be able to take over the CF job by late 2019), Rutherford, Adolfo, Dunning, Cease, next year’s #4 overall pick, and anything we might get for Avi. There should be plenty of reinforcements arriving throughout 2019, 2020, & 2021.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 18, 2017 -> 12:58 PM)
Very nice!

Yup, we almost have no long term commitments. Right now for 2019 I believe it’s only Anderson & Jones for a total less than $2M. Obviously there are a couple of arbitration guys we’ll likely want to hold onto, but we should have a ton of money to spend. It’s going to be a fun offseason.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 18, 2017 -> 11:07 AM)
Free Agents:

Daniel Murphy - 2/$32M

Tyler Flowers - 2/$24M

Andrew Miller - 4/$64M

Trades:

Roster:

1. L. Garcia, CF ($4M)

2. Moncada, 2B ($0.6M)

3. Machado, 3B ($30M)

4. Abreu, DH ($20M)

5. Jimenez, RF ($0.6M)

6. Murphy, 1B ($16M)

7. Anderson, SS ($1.0M)

8. Delmonico, LF ($0.6M)

9. Flowers, C ($12M)

Sub-total = $84.6M

Sub-total = $5.8M

Sub-total = $9.4M

Sub-total = $19.6M

Grand-total = $119.4M

Great job/analysis. I will tell you though, this is 2017 and by 2019 Machado I think he will be in the $400 Mil group. The $300 group of David Price types is not his group. He will be w Stanton, Trout, Kershaw etc especially because of age. I wonder if Orioles will pass on him and trade him for a semi-bundle next summer if they are out of it.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Nov 18, 2017 -> 04:06 PM)
Great job/analysis. I will tell you though, this is 2017 and by 2019 Machado I think he will be in the $400 Mil group. The $300 group of David Price types is not his group. He will be w Stanton, Trout, Kershaw etc especially because of age. I wonder if Orioles will pass on him and trade him for a semi-bundle next summer if they are out of it.

Yeah, I personally think that Machado is going to the Yankees. They need a third baseman. Wasn't Frazier the one who filled that roll last year after the trade? Or did he play a different position for them?

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Nov 18, 2017 -> 02:06 PM)

Do you think Machado gets more years or a higher AAV or some combo of both? I believe Miguel Cabrera was the highest paid positional guy this last season and he only made $28M. Obviously salaries are going up, but I really can’t see him getting much more than a $30M AAV if he goes for a 10 year deal with an opt-out clause. Harper for sure will get more but I think he will also have more of the traditional big spenders involved.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Nov 18, 2017 -> 02:38 PM)
Yeah, I personally think that Machado is going to the Yankees. They need a third baseman. Wasn't Frazier the one who filled that roll last year after the trade? Or did he play a different position for them?

The Yankees have both Andujar & Torres for 3B. That doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t go for Machado, but they may prefer to spend their money elsewhere.

Frazier was indeed primarily at third for the evil empire last season. Hell, we've got a metric s*** ton of cash and we'll get great pieces in due time. Harper and Manny are only the peak of this upcoming ice burg.

We've got TONS of options. I'd be happy with Donaldson. Then you've also got the whole offloading a big contract / trade scenario.

If it was 2019 or 2020 and we had the excess of prospects like we do along with a wide open payroll... you'd better bet your ass we'd be presenting the best offer.

More opportunities like that will indeed come up at the right time - Not to the same level as a generational bat like Stanton... but, you all catch my drift and I don't need to continue blabbing.

blah blah blah blap blap blap yada yada yada and a BING BOOM to conclude.

( insert "what the f*** is wrong with that guy" thought here )

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 18, 2017 -> 03:03 PM)
Nate Jones? Uh... :lol:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/07/nate...er-surgery.html

The news also has a direct effect on Jones’s contract situation. He is guaranteed $3.95MM next year regardless. But his 2019-21 options will now give the team an opportunity to retain him for less than it could have if Jones had stayed off the surgeon’s table for his elbow. He can now be controlled for the league minimum (2019), $3.75MM (2020), and $4.25MM (2021), with a $1.25MM buyout applying to any of those three years.

My ridiculously optimistic scenario:

1) Leury Garcia CF

2) Yoan Moncada 2B

3) Manny Machado 3B

4) Jose Abreu 1B

5) Eloy Jimenez RF

6) Shohei Otani DH

7) Zack Collins C

8) Nicky Delmonico LF

9) Tim Anderson SS

Bench: IF Yolmer Sanchez, C Omar Narvaez, OF Ryan Cordell 1B/DH Casey Gillaspie

1) Carlos Rodon L

2) Shohei Otani R

3) Michael Kopech R

4) Lucas Giolito R

5) Reynaldo Lopez R

CL Craig Kimbrel

SU Carson Fulmer

SU Thyago Vieira

MR Zack Burdi

MR Brian Clark

MR Dane Dunning

MR Spencer Adams

MR Jace Fry/Aaron Bummer

Top org prospects:

1) CF Luis Robert

2) SP Alec Hansen

3) SS Nick Madrigal

4) LF Blake Rutherford

5) SP Dylan Cease

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 18, 2017 -> 07:05 PM)
My ridiculously optimistic scenario:

1) Leury Garcia CF

2) Yoan Moncada 2B

3) Manny Machado 3B

4) Jose Abreu 1B

5) Eloy Jimenez RF

6) Shohei Otani DH

7) Zack Collins C

8) Nicky Delmonico LF

9) Tim Anderson SS

Bench: IF Yolmer Sanchez, C Omar Narvaez, OF Ryan Cordell 1B/DH Casey Gillaspie

1) Carlos Rodon L

2) Shohei Otani R

3) Michael Kopech R

4) Lucas Giolito R

5) Reynaldo Lopez R

CL Craig Kimbrel

SU Carson Fulmer

SU Thyago Vieira

MR Zack Burdi

MR Brian Clark

MR Dane Dunning

MR Spencer Adams

MR Jace Fry/Aaron Bummer

Top org prospects:

1) CF Luis Robert

2) SP Alec Hansen

3) SS Nick Madrigal

4) LF Blake Rutherford

5) SP Dylan Cease

Otani isn't coming here, there's 0.00000% chance

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 18, 2017 -> 02:51 PM)
The 2018/19 offseason will be interesting for us because most of the pitching staff will be in place, but several of our key positional prospects will be a year or two or out. I agree that if all goes right Collins may receive a September callup. However, I think we’d be wise to wait until May of 2019 to ensure that extra year of player control. I think adding a veteran like Flowers on a short-term deal makes a ton of sense for us. Nothing wrong with easing in Collins into the full-time role and pairing him with a great mentor to learn from.

I figured the Murphy signing would be a little controversial, but I think we’ll need to add a temporary bat at either 1B or DH. Long-term I’m hoping either Burger or Sheets can fill that role, but I don’t see those guys as viable options until 2020 at the earliest. Murphy buys us some time and hopefully can be signed to a shorter-term deal assuming his defense at 2B continues to degrade. I also like the fact that Murphy brings a pro-hit tool to the lineup.

And yes, this doesn’t include Robert (who I think might be able to take over the CF job by late 2019), Rutherford, Adolfo, Dunning, Cease, next year’s #4 overall pick, and anything we might get for Avi. There should be plenty of reinforcements arriving throughout 2019, 2020, & 2021.

Definitely an exciting time on the South Side

I see your point on Flowers, I wouldn't mind it (especially now that you point out the extra year of control on Collins)

Who'd ever think ANY of us want Tyler Flowers here in 2019?

I also see your take on Murphy, but I'm shied away by the fact he's never seen the AL..Also I have Avi here in '19

But God Damn is that prospect group STILL exciting in 2019

Lineup:

SS Anderson

2B Moncada

3B Machado (Don't think he leaves BAL unfortunately, But should be priority $1...Donaldson is OLD and ALREADY in decline)

1B Abreu

LF Jimenez

RF Garcia

DH Delmonico

C Collins

CF Leury

Bench: [[/b ] [b]C Flowers, 1B/3B Davidson, IF Sanchez, UT Cordell

Rotation: Kopech, Rodon, Giolito, Lopez, Hansen

Bullpen: Allen, Jones, Burdi, Capps, Fulmer, Guerrero, Vieira

Guys that should be on ML roster but are victim of depth: Cease, Dunning, Gillaspie, Adams, Stephens, Tilson, Bummer, Polo, Zavala, Palka

Top 10 Prospects in '19: CF Robert, #4 Overall pick of '18, Adolfo, Rutherford, Burger, 2018 2nd rounder, Dunning, Sheets,Basabe, Call

Edited by ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 08:46 AM)

Lineup:

SS Anderson

2B Moncada

3B Machado (Don't think he leaves BAL unfortunately, But should be priority $1...Donaldson is OLD and ALREADY in decline)

1B Abreu

LF Jimenez

RF Garcia

DH Delmonico

C Collins

CF Leury

Bench: [[/b ] [b]C Flowers, 1B/3B Davidson, IF Sanchez, UT Cordell

Rotation: Kopech, Rodon, Giolito, Lopez, Hansen

Bullpen: Allen, Jones, Burdi, Capps, Fulmer, Guerrero, Vieira

Guys that should be on ML roster but are victim of depth: Cease, Dunning, Gillaspie, Adams, Stephens, Tilson, Bummer, Polo, Zavala, Palka

Top 10 Prospects in '19: CF Robert, #4 Overall pick of '18, Adolfo, Rutherford, Burger, 2018 2nd rounder, Dunning, Sheets,Basabe, Call

Lol really? Maybe if they didn't give a huge contract to Davis.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 18, 2017 -> 04:49 PM)
Do you think Machado gets more years or a higher AAV or some combo of both? I believe Miguel Cabrera was the highest paid positional guy this last season and he only made $28M. Obviously salaries are going up, but I really can’t see him getting much more than a $30M AAV if he goes for a 10 year deal with an opt-out clause. Harper for sure will get more but I think he will also have more of the traditional big spenders involved.

Trout gets $34 MIL est and he is better than machado just for his value in CF. But in 2 years you have to think Salaries will see the continual ( and crazy) escalation. So I think Machado in 2 years will get a 10 year $375-425 deal w the opt=out that seems to be growing in popularity.