Arizona Fall League Rosters discussion

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)
For these discussions.

My final guesses on who goes:

Bassitt (2nd time)

Montas

Narvaez

Anderson

Lopez

Ravelo

Not sure about Lopez though. Could also see a reliever from AA or AAA going, not sure which one.

Itll be good for Courtney Hawkins

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)
Anderson would technically be an "A+ or below" player as well as he would have had to join Birmingham prior to August 1st to lose that label. So your list has four guys that would be below AA when each team is only allowed one.

If memory serves, you are allowed to take a rule 5 draftee even if they have reached a full year of MLB service time so I think Nieto would be available.

I'll go Snodgress, Nieto, Tim Anderson, Bassit, Recchia and Trayce Thompson.

OK, if Anderson doesn't qualify... and we know Montas is going because Bell said he is, I believe... I'd go with:

Montas

Anderson

Bassitt

Snodgress

Ravelo

Coats

Also very possible: Kyle Hansen, if he's healthy by then. If Snodgress goes to Chicago, that makes Hansen a strong candidate.

I don't think they send any SP's that pitched the full year. If they do, Recchia is a possibility, so is Bucciferro.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 01:35 PM)
OK, if Anderson doesn't qualify... and we know Montas is going because Bell said he is, I believe... I'd go with:

Montas

Anderson

Bassitt

Snodgress

Ravelo

Coats

Also very possible: Kyle Hansen, if he's healthy by then. If Snodgress goes to Chicago, that makes Hansen a strong candidate.

I don't think they send any SP's that pitched the full year. If they do, Recchia is a possibility, so is Bucciferro.

You have to pick one of Anderson, Montas and Coats, since all were below AA as of 8/1

I'd would go with:

Bassitt

Snodgress

Hansen/Olacio (interesting both were moved up to AA just before 8/1, meaning they might have had AFL in plans for them)

Anderson

Trayce Thompson

Nieto

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 01:47 PM)
You have to pick one of Anderson, Montas and Coats, since all were below AA as of 8/1

I'd would go with:

Bassitt

Snodgress

Hansen/Olacio (interesting both were moved up to AA just before 8/1, meaning they might have had AFL in plans for them)

Anderson

Trayce Thompson

Nieto

Damn, I missed that Coats was after the deadline. Replace him with Hansen or Olacio then, for me. I kinda doubt they send Trayce again, though he is just getting hot lately. And Nieto seems like an odd choice, but I guess it's possible.

But Montas and Anderson can both go - they can send two of those. Just not three.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
Hansen and Recchia are the two org guys that I could see getting the call. Snodgress seems almost like a lock to me given the state of our LHRP at the top of the minors plus he has been outstanding all year against lefties. I would think they really want to get him acclimated to a relief role as he has/had a big arm.

But again, both Anderson and Montas could not be sent together. They are both below AA player because Anderson reached Birmingham after the August 1st cut off. I quoted flavum's post because I heard the same thing from Bell but interestingly enough, Bell had noted Montas as well. It would not surprise me if Bell did not know the stipulations and requirements surrounding the players sent to the AFL.

See my response just now. Also, I don't see Recchia or Hansen as org guys, I think they both have decent shots at MLB futures in some role.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/winterleague...;id=player_elig

"All Triple-A and Double-A players are eligible, provided the players are on at least a Double-A level roster no later than Aug. 1.

One player below the Double-A level is allowed per Major League team."

I know you're Recchia's biggest fan and Hansen isn't a guy to overlook but neither of these guys are really "prospects." They're kind of in between prospects and org guys largely in part of what the Sox have shown they have been able to do with pitchers regardless of pedigree/career trajectory. Hansen has shown some great peripherals but with the caveat that he was too old for the levels he was pitching at. I like Recchia as a potential Axelrod/Carroll-type-contributor and he's been pitching great for a while but this guy was pitching for the Thunderbolts just over a year ago and will be 26 next year.

I thought someone said it was two players below AA earlier - apparently it's just one? Got it.

I will simply disagree with you on Recchia and Hansen. First, to me, if a player has some reasonably non-zero shot at a MLB job, he's a prospect. So they both easily qualify. Second, Hansen is 23 in AA, after starting the year in A+. He's age-appropriate (in fact younger than league averages at each stop, but in line with more normalized prospect expectations), not sure where you are getting the old for level thing. As for Recchia, his stuff is significantly better than Axelrod or Carroll's. You have to look beyond the numbers - what Recchia throws is nothing like those other two. The fact that he was in Indy ball just over a year ago and has gone through 3 levels successfully only further illustrates that point. Age is an issue for sure, but as a total package, he's a prospect to me.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
Hansen played his age 22 season in Kannapolis, his age 23 season in Winston-Salem and has pitched just 4 games in AA. I suppose he is just slightly behind the age curve, but I didn't see anyone mentioning him in their top 25 because frankly, he hasn't done anything to warrant it other than some solid strikeout numbers. I think this is more of you and I having different parameters for what qualifies a prospect.

I think you are correct about terminology being the primary issue here. There are probably 50-60 guys in the system I'd consider prospects - obviously at varying levels. That's out of some 200 guys in the system. Well, 150+ guys, I won't include DSL guys in there because other than a few high priced ones, I really can't call those guys prospects OR non-prospects yet. They're kids.

What Hansen has that makes him interesting isn't found in his numbers. It's a mid-90's sinking fastball from an extreme downward plane, and a slider that gets a lot of swing and miss.

Something else to consider - I see no good reason why any team would send an "org guy" to the AFL. The slots are valuable for multiple reasons. I DO think they typically send a guy or two who are on the fence - fringe guys who they aren't sure are prospects but they want to test them and force the direction. But no one below that level makes any sense to send. If they are going to Arizona for the AFL, they are at least seen as a marginal prospect by the org.

I just wanted to add that I'm also a huge Recchia fan. I think he's definitely a legit prospect. He shouldn't be discounted due to his age or his indy ball background.

I don't know a ton about Hansen, but he's huge, was a fairly early pick, and has good strikeout numbers at age appropriate levels. There's potential there. I wouldn't label him as organizational filler by any means.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)
You're right, and I would probably put the number at 40-50 but closer to 40.

As far as Hansen, he's never been able to keep his velocity in the mid-90's and that probably led to the Sox moving him into the pen. I hope I'm wrong but it's a lot harder for guys who are 6'8" to repeat their mechanics and Hansen hasn't been able to do that. I would like to see more reports on his velocity though but everything I've found would be considered a detriment to his future.

I read that his FB is around low to mid 90's when coming out of pen, and slider has flashed plus. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to see him getting a shot in the big league bullpen in the next year or two.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
While I agree the Sox did send Charlie Leesman and Nick McCully last year.

And Leesman has seen the majors, I think they saw him as one of those marginal guys. McCully has generally performed well as a reliever but they kept having him start again, not sure what the deal there was.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)
You're right, and I would probably put the number at 40-50 but closer to 40.

Wait.. you don't think Hansen or Recchia are among the top 40-45 guys? That's hard to believe. I can certainly see not T20 or T30, but it's hard to think there are 45 or so guys ahead of them.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 03:31 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 16m

Francellis Montas and Tim Anderson will be part of #WhiteSox contingent in Arizona Fall League.

Brian Bilek ‏@brianbilek_ 7m

@CSNHayes how is it possible both Anderson and Montas have been sent? Both are designated as below AA level players...

Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 3m

@brianbilek_ Each org is permitted to send two Class-A players

Brian Bilek ‏@brianbilek_ 2m

@CSNHayes The AFL's site states otherwise and just one player has been the case in years past. Is this a rule change?

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/winterleague...;id=player_elig

Then Hayes sent me this.

Bv_dXz6CQAAPk1U.jpg

There seems to be contradictory rules out there on behalf of the AFL but obviously with Anderson and Montas both going Hayes' information is correct.

They could have also changed rules. I am guessing Hayes as the right info, as it fits what has taken place.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)
Arizona Fall League ‏@MLBazFallLeague 52m

Glendale roster changes: Add IF Nick Basto (#WhiteSox); delete IF Rangel Ravelo (#WhiteSox).

Injury for Ravelo?

Obviously the Sox see something in Basto and should be considered a prospect around here. The kid can hit pretty good, just needs to figure it out defensively.