Local teams protest latest tax in Chicago

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 19, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
How does this even impact the White Sox and Bears?

JR owns part of the United Center. The Bears? Who knows, maybe they get some sort of benefit from Soldier Field events. I guess it's like being part of a union.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Oct 19, 2017 -> 01:15 PM)
The G-Rate also hosts the occasional concert

I think people's response around why Bears/Sox would car is whether it would even affect them as Soldier field would be Chicago Park District and GRF would be Illinois Sports Facilities Authority.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 19, 2017 -> 01:30 PM)
I think people's response around why Bears/Sox would car is whether it would even affect them as Soldier field would be Chicago Park District and GRF would be Illinois Sports Facilities Authority.

I assume the franchises get some kind of cut/revenue from concerts even though the stadiums are "owned" by others. Could be wrong

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Oct 19, 2017 -> 01:40 PM)
I assume the franchises get some kind of cut/revenue from concerts even though the stadiums are "owned" by others. Could be wrong

I could see Reinsdorf possibly getting away with that somehow but I would be shocked if Bears get a cut of any of the many soccer/concert events at Soldier Field.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 19, 2017 -> 01:05 PM)
JR owns part of the United Center. The Bears? Who knows, maybe they get some sort of benefit from Soldier Field events. I guess it's like being part of a union.

Maybe the Bears and/or Sox are considering building their own stadiums in the not-too-distant future and don't want that tax on the books when the time comes.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 19, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
How does this even impact the White Sox and Bears?

Because the city may use it to justify raising the tax on sporting events again. Since the sports tax is already higher, the longer it takes for the concert tax to go up, the longer it will be before the sports tax goes up again.

The other thing is, the more you pay to go to concerts, in theory, the less you have to spend on football games and baseball games, although it doesn't seem to be THAT big of a tax. But once they pass this tax, the next increased tax is for tickets to professional sporting events. The only benefit of this tax is more money to spend on absolutely nothing of consequence for Rahm, less money for everyone else.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 19, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)
I could see Reinsdorf possibly getting away with that somehow but I would be shocked if Bears get a cut of any of the many soccer/concert events at Soldier Field.
the sox control the ballpark's use for non baseball events. they have to give the state the ok to host concerts.

some mlb teams in publicly financed stadiums set up entertainment divisions to book concerts and other events. the sox do not have such a department, but anything is possible.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 07:12 PM)
the sox control the ballpark's use for non baseball events. they have to give the state the ok to host concerts.

some mlb teams in publicly financed stadiums set up entertainment divisions to book concerts and other events. the sox do not have such a department, but anything is possible.

This seems strange. Who books the concerts then?