Camping World CEO

Iwritecode

I've owned a camper of some sort for around 15 years or so and I belong to a couple of different camping message boards. Marcus Lemonis, the CEO of Camping World made some comments the other day about the events in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Here's the clip of his actual comments.

Of course the headlines are twisting it into him saying that he doesn't want Trump supporters shopping at his business. This has people up in arms and many are saying they are cancelling their memberships and that they won't shop at CW anymore.

Here's his follow up video clarifying his statements.

Basically he's saying that if you are for hate and violence, then he doesn't want you as a customer. Of course people are proving his point by sending him hateful and violent comments including death threats. I'm sure the irony is lost on them.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
I've owned a camper of some sort for around 15 years or so and I belong to a couple of different camping message boards. Marcus Lemonis, the CEO of Camping World made some comments the other day about the events in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Here's the clip of his actual comments.

Of course the headlines are twisting it into him saying that he doesn't want Trump supporters shopping at his business. This has people up in arms and many are saying they are cancelling their memberships and that they won't shop at CW anymore.

Here's his follow up video clarifying his statements.

Basically he's saying that if you are for hate and violence, then he doesn't want you as a customer. Of course people are proving his point by sending him hateful and violent comments including death threats. I'm sure the irony is lost on them.

My guess is that he hit at a pretty big swatch of his constituency with this statement. There is a pretty big group of Trump supporters that fall into the typical clientele here.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 10:39 AM)
I've honestly never heard of that company. So maybe its helping him reach a larger customer base. Of course I f***ing hate camping.

I really haven't seen or heard much of this story outside of the camping message boards I'm on. Although they don't allow political discussions so I can't really discuss it there.

If you aren't really into camping, it's probably a place you'd drive right past without a second thought. There is one in Wauconda though.

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 10:51 AM)
Isn't there one in Gurnee right before you reach the outlet mall in Kenosha or Six Flags?

That's Bass Pro Shops.

Camping World HQ is in Lincolnshire. I have a friend that works there and says he's an awesome boss. Buys free tix for employees to go to concerts and stuff.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 10:31 AM)
My guess is that he hit at a pretty big swatch of his constituency with this statement. There is a pretty big group of Trump supporters that fall into the typical clientele here.

I'm sure he did. But the way it played out amazes me. People aren't upset that the media equates hateful and violet people as Trump supporters. They are upset that a CEO doesn't want those types of people as customers.

Seems a bit backwards to me. :unsure:

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)
I'm sure he did. But the way it played out amazes me. People aren't upset that the media equates hateful and violet people as Trump supporters. They are upset that a CEO doesn't want those types of people as customers.

Seems a bit backwards to me. :unsure:

There have been many instances where the hateful, violent people are quoted as being supporters of Trump.

Twitter and elsewhere.

PS I enjoyed your autocorrect. :)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 10:42 AM)
Wasn't there a Camping World Bowl in NCAA football last season?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)
:huh

That seems like a Bowl that Illinois fans should know, and Ohio St fans should not.

I don't know how one can watch his 2nd video and then comment this:

Marcus, I'm happy that you are against violence. Although there is an 800 lb. gorilla here that you haven't pointed out. You are middle eastern decent, I'm cool with that. Danny Thomas was Lebanese as well and he was a big influence on my views of middle eastern folks with I was very young. The deal here is that paid protesters are doing this s*** to degrade white people and the history of America. If you are ok with that, I'm not ok with going Gander Mountain and Camping World any longer. You see, You are a very wealthy man and your face is out there and you can afford it and most of us who shop in your stores are not wealthy. So, I'm like this. If you are going to diss the folks who go to NASCAR races and support or RV centers who basically are the ones who hate you f***ing ass. Then maybe you need to shut the f*** up and stick to retail dude.

This s*** is sooo typical. Let's break it down:

Although there is an 800 lb. gorilla here that you haven't pointed out. You are middle eastern decent, I'm cool with that.

LOL, it's not about race, but it totally is. And so glad he's "cool with that"

Danny Thomas was Lebanese as well and he was a big influence on my views of middle eastern folks with I was very young.

Why even have this piece in here except for the ol' "I'm not racist, I liked this one guy of that race before"

The deal here is that paid protesters are doing this s*** to degrade white people and the history of America.

Ah finally, we get to the "deal". Wait, how are we getting to paid protesters and history of America? That escalated really quickly.

If you are ok with that, I'm not ok with going Gander Mountain and Camping World any longer.

Here comes the non-sensical threat!

You see, You are a very wealthy man and your face is out there and you can afford it and most of us who shop in your stores are not wealthy.

I find these arguments fascinating. The irony in how conservatives view wealth, especially across party or ideological lines, is ridiculous. White, republican, male and wealthy? Awesome, you know everything, you're the smartest person in the room, your genes are sweet. Anything but that and....well, you're elitist and don't get us.

If you are going to diss the folks who go to NASCAR races and support or RV centers who basically are the ones who hate you f***ing ass. Then maybe you need to shut the f*** up and stick to retail dude.

Again, how did he diss these folks? Unless they were the ones in the protests spewing hate?

And love the sign off, the classic shut the f*** up about politics. It's all about state rights free speech amirite?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 02:17 PM)
I met Marcus Lemonis a few years ago. There was a business that was to be featured on one of his shows that had fraud and my professor was putting together a case study based on the business and when she reached out to him, he agreed to meet with both of her grad classes and we all worked together with him. He was a very nice guy and very generous with his time. He traveled with an entourage of employees and you could tell they actually liked him.

I can't watch the video though. What is the violence he's referring to? The Charlottesville ordeal?

I didn't watch the first video yet, but the 2nd one was just about Charlottesville and general hate/violence.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 02:17 PM)
I can't watch the video though. What is the violence he's referring to? The Charlottesville ordeal?

Yes.

I can see how people can infer that he's talking about Trump in the first video but he never mentions him by name.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 03:51 PM)
Yes.

I can see how people can infer that he's talking about Trump in the first video but he never mentions him by name.

I think that he's also including the historical violence of certain groups as well.

• 4 weeks later...