(Legal?) Question re: Buying a Stolen Good

Jake

Disclaimer: this is an acquaintance (really!) who had this experience, but I wasn't sure how to react to it. Neither were they.

Friend buys something on eBay that retails for ~$275 and gets it for about $200. Sweet deal! It arrives at the door a day later in an Amazon Prime box. They can tell from the invoice that the seller just purchased it on Amazon for around $285 and shipped it straight to friend. The PayPal payment my friend made was sent to a Chinese person (in China), who went by a different name than the eBay username suggested.

My first reaction was that this product was purchased with a stolen credit card. It could be something else, like perhaps a person trying to get money out of their Amazon gift card. Of course, it seems like there would be better ways to do that via gift card marketplaces or by selling things on eBay that weren't niche products like this was.

What does a person do when they suspect this going on?

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 08:43 AM)
Disclaimer: this is an acquaintance (really!) who had this experience, but I wasn't sure how to react to it. Neither were they.

Friend buys something on eBay that retails for ~$275 and gets it for about $200. Sweet deal! It arrives at the door a day later in an Amazon Prime box. They can tell from the invoice that the seller just purchased it on Amazon for around $285 and shipped it straight to friend. The PayPal payment my friend made was sent to a Chinese person (in China), who went by a different name than the eBay username suggested.

My first reaction was that this product was purchased with a stolen credit card. It could be something else, like perhaps a person trying to get money out of their Amazon gift card. Of course, it seems like there would be better ways to do that via gift card marketplaces or by selling things on eBay that weren't niche products like this was.

What does a person do when they suspect this going on?

Stolen s*** is what makes ebay work :)

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 07:43 AM)
So the thought is someone scammed Amazon or stole a box off someone's porch? How does the Amazon to eBay scam work?

No, purchase something on amazon with a stolen credit card and immediately resell the item on eBay for a discounted price