Who can the Sox sell?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q's value is down right now, too. No sense on selling low, unless there's a feeling he won't return to form (in which case they never would have extended him in the first place).

Same with Cabrera (because he's not hitting for any power)...same with LaRoche.

Samardzija, Robertson (and that's giving up again on 2016, in all likelihood, at least in the eyes of fans)....some bullpen pieces, Ramirez, if he can get back to being a 650-700 OPS player.

Of course, trading Sale would be the ultimate shocker.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 4, 2015 -> 02:03 AM)
Robertson?

i am crazy, but i would really hate to go thru all these yr of futility and watching a make shift team. i am still a die hard sox fan and i would rather watch the sox instead of that product on the northside.

so for me, move conor and eaton to the minors until they gets their swing back. play Sanchez at 3b. play EB and or Shuck until eaton comes back, bring up Thompson. bury Danks or Hector, start Rodon.

there is nothing to do with catcher until the off season.

Edited by LDF

There's no way Eaton is going down unless he's still slumping in late June or July.

They're committed to him as the future CFer.

Gillaspie's situation is more fluid with Beckham, Bonfacio, Davidson, Sanchez and Saladino. He won't get half the patience that Adam will receive because there are a lot of options for his particular position.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2015 -> 03:03 AM)
There's no way Eaton is going down unless he's still slumping in late June or July.

They're committed to him as the future CFer.

Gillaspie's situation is more fluid with Beckham, Bonfacio, Davidson, Sanchez and Saladino. He won't get half the patience that Adam will receive because there are a lot of options for his particular position.

i am not saying send them or him down for the season. i am saying send him down until he gets his swing back. playing full time in the minors to get the monkey off his back will be better ab's then the pressure filled environment of doing it in a mlb game.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ May 4, 2015 -> 12:58 AM)
Maybe Ramirez, LaRoche, Bonifacio, Samardzija, etc just to name a few. Who do you think the Sox will trade if they decide to sell?

I could see everybody getting dealt except for Sale and Abreu and Avi and Eaton.

Think about it, there's no reason to keep ANY of last season's acquisitions and I think if we deal LaRoche and Melky early enough, we'll get something for them that's good. Cmon. An NL team will want Melky's bat. How bout the Mets or Cardinals?

Trade Robertson first and ask for a haul of prospects. The guy is amazing. Somebody must need a nails closer. Then trade LaRoche. Try to get 3 minor leaguers for him, one with good potential. Then trade Shark and go for a HAUL. Somebody must need a starter that is a contender.

Then trade Duke. Sox will get a ton of players for these guys. Also trade Lexi. Again we should be able to get a lot from a contender that needs a good ss. And trade Boni for anything. Also trade Soto for anything. There's no emotional involvement between the fans and any of these guys, so please Mr. Hahn, start thinking TRADES and rebuild the team this year for Gardy or Leyland.

Edited by greg775

Assuming we really do continue to spiral downward, which I am not willing to concede yet, I think Samardzija is the only one gone for sure. Everyone else has more than 1 year left, if Hahn wanted to finish his rebuild this offseason and hope they do better next year. He isn't going to fire sale this team. They are far too talented, and it's a bad sign for future FA if you just dump everyone you just signed this offseason. LaRoche, Melky, Robertson, Duke, those guys aren't going anywhere.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 3, 2015 -> 10:12 PM)
I could see everybody getting dealt except for Sale and Abreu and Avi and Eaton.

Think about it, there's no reason to keep ANY of last season's acquisitions and I think if we deal LaRoche and Melky early enough, we'll get something for them that's good. Cmon. An NL team will want Melky's bat. How bout the Mets or Cardinals?

Trade Robertson first and ask for a haul of prospects. The guy is amazing. Somebody must need a nails closer. Then trade LaRoche. Try to get 3 minor leaguers for him, one with good potential. Then trade Shark and go for a HAUL. Somebody must need a starter that is a contender.

Then trade Duke. Sox will get a ton of players for these guys. Also trade Lexi. Again we should be able to get a lot from a contender that needs a good ss. And trade Boni for anything. Also trade Soto for anything. There's no emotional involvement between the fans and any of these guys, so please Mr. Hahn, start thinking TRADES and rebuild the team this year for Gardy or Leyland.

The Cardinals already are set in the outfield, and have Piscotty and Grichuk as well.

No sale on that one.

The one asset they're going to be most interested in is Jeff Samardzija.

They aren't trading Robertson in the first year of a 4 year deal. I could see Samardjiza or Alexei going.

EVen though we blow, it's not like mass changes are needed to compete next year or even the rest of this year.

well, if the sox decide to sell and only few pieces, so to speak. i can see JS bringing in the most as of now. several team who want to contend are down a pitcher. so buyer beware b/c if JS goes, he will go to the highest bidder.

the rtn should be much higher and better than what can be gained in a draft pick.

If the White Sox are awful in July, they will weigh whether they can get a better deal for Shark than a comp pick. I could see them dealing Ramirez as well. I think they are more likely to add at catcher and 3B though. It's an 8-14 start. It's really bad. There's no way they aren't going to hit eventually though. It just doesn't make sense. They don't look like a playoff team but they could finish .500.

As I stated in the thread entitled "Who can the Sox acquire," this team is not in need of a total rebuild. Moreover, the front office would be too worried about the fan

reaction, if they did. It wouldn't even be too late for them to get back into the race, if they were a really good team. Unfortunately, while most of this team is pretty solid and

well balanced, there are some serious flaws. The hole which they have dug themselves into, is too deep, from which this team is probably capable of digging themselves out.

If they had all of the pieces, one might have confidence in their ability to overcome this horrendous start. However, they simply don't.

The team is flawed, not enough to merit a total rebuild, but enough to keep them from going 80 and 60, the rest of the way. That would get them to the 88 wins, which will

most likely be required to win at least a Wild Card spot, in the playoffs.

So, the question is: Who can they trade, to set them up better for 2016? My original post, in the other thread, was to trade Samardzija, and most of you seem to agree.

I also stated that they really need to try to dump La Roche's salary, and look for a better option for next year. The more I think about that, the more convinced I am that it

should be a high priority. He is the same hitter that Dunn was, in his worst seasons with the Sox. He's a strikeout machine, and completely incapable of doing anything against

LH pitching. It might not be so hard to accept, if he weren't the clean up hitter.

This team was put together to be competitive for the next several seasons....while they may say that they expected to be competitive this season, I think that this season is still considered part of the rebuild given some of the glaring holes we went in with. I don't think we deal anyone but Shark, assuming he doesn't want to extend.

Hedges was promoted by the Padres while Derek Norris himself is doing well. Maybe the Padres are trying to showcase him for a potential June/July deal? If Alexei starts hitting between now and then, perhaps we can see a deal with Alexei and Hedges as the base with other moving pieces since the Padres will likely be buyers.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ May 4, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
This team was put together to be competitive for the next several seasons....while they may say that they expected to be competitive this season, I think that this season is still considered part of the rebuild given some of the glaring holes we went in with. I don't think we deal anyone but Shark, assuming he doesn't want to extend.

i am going to be pissy with this post, but what makes you believe it was built to be competitiveness as oppose to show the fans of actually caring, to sell tickets and advertising.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 4, 2015 -> 08:19 AM)
i am going to be pissy with this post, but what makes you believe it was built to be competitiveness as oppose to show the fans of actually caring, to sell tickets and advertising.

The team friendly contracts that have been signed. We have a very nice core locked up for several years and at a very reasonable price....surely we don't need to dig up the offseason threads where we were all swinging from RH's nut hairs for securing our core? All that didn't go out the window because we've gotten off to a bad start. I think the plan all along was to compete in 2016 and beyond, with 2015 being a "let the cards fall where they may" kind of season, with the hope that we'd be at least in the hunt for a wild card spot.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ May 4, 2015 -> 03:42 PM)
The team friendly contracts that have been signed. We have a very nice core locked up for several years and at a very reasonable price....surely we don't need to dig up the offseason threads where we were all swinging from RH's nut hairs for securing our core? All that didn't go out the window because we've gotten off to a bad start. I think the plan all along was to compete in 2016 and beyond, with 2015 being a "let the cards fall where they may" kind of season, with the hope that we'd be at least in the hunt for a wild card spot.

don't get me wrong, i was the major one, and i will not speak for anyone else. but i was singing Hahn praises and still am.

but then it hit the wall and stop. many a posters were saying at that time, the sox were a couple more players away from rebuilding. but it stop, instead, the sox got penny and beckham.

the put all their eggs in danks, hector, t.flowers, conors and beckham. ok beckham as of today maybe the perfect backup that the team needed, but they still had holes..