The Optimism Thread

Quin

Optimism thread? In my Soxtalk?

There is nowhere to go but up. Because things look grim.

This is the optimism thread, for optimistic ideas and such.

We got Swirsky already, Bulls want to fire Thibs...make Thibs the manager! We know he'll light a fire under the defense's ass. And possibly the other stuff maybe.

But a team of vets not performing like vets, they'll come around. Because law of averages or something.

Because oy vey.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 26, 2015 -> 09:42 PM)
With as much as has gone badly this year, it is amazing this team isn't dead and buried already. If we even get average seasons going from our top players, this team has a lot of run left in them.

I love your optimism and I will board that train

I think a big part of being a Sox fan is we are notably the most pessimistic fans in the country. We will watch the team from a far when they are bad and every loss is the end of the season. Optimism my friend, only comes when they win it all.

I am optimistic. They played wll for a week and were back in it. I have to assume most guys will at least come closer to their career norms, and I am not as down on Abreu as others. I think he will snap out of it in a big way Melky's slump started with a lot of at em balls. I think he will eventually be OK. Tonight would be a good time to start hitting again.

I will try to be optimistic. Save the bullpen dumpster fire, I loved every game from april-all star break last year. That was largely the same core here. If you show it once you can show it again.

I am always fairly optimistic when it comes to the Sox, because why not? Baseball is the best sport in the world to follow, and it's much more enjoyable when you're not a Debby downer.

I am realistic, but when you're 4 games under .500 if May, and things literally couldn't have gone much worse, just enjoy the season until they're mathematically out.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 26, 2015 -> 04:06 PM)
I think a big part of being a Sox fan is we are notably the most pessimistic fans in the country. We will watch the team from a far when they are bad and every loss is the end of the season. Optimism my friend, only comes when they win it all.

Phillies fans are just the same. We keep thinking we're unusual, but we're not...

"They (the fans) don't understand the game," he said. "They don't understand the process. There's a process. And then they b---- and complain because we don't have a plan. There's a plan in place and we're sticking with the plan. We can't do what's best for the fan. We have to do what's best for the organization so the fan can reap the benefit of it later on. That's the truth."

Ruben Amaro was born here, grew up here, played major-league baseball here, and has worked as a Phillies executive here. Of the 50 years he's been alive, he's spent more than 40 of them here. He graduated from Stanford. He's a smart guy. Yet he couldn't avoid making what amounted to a rookie mistake: He failed to remember that he's not in a position to b---- about fans who b---- about his baseball team.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/philli...FmM5OFWKY8Uk.99

QUOTE (shipps @ May 26, 2015 -> 10:06 PM)

I disagree. We're actually knowledgable. How can you be that fired up when the defense is this bad? When the baserunning (and base stealing, lol) is so bad? When the pitching has been blah for the most part and the hitting has been rotten? At least tonight's game had highlights. A lot of games have no highlights. Didn't somebody post that the Sox have scored one run seven times and been shutout twice already? Yikes. We're not that pessimistic; we've just been given very weird baseball to watch the past few seasons. What are we supposed to do? Actually believe the Sox can beat Central Division teams, catch the damn ball and play smart baseball before the team does it for a month at least? And not fall 8 games back in May?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 26, 2015 -> 09:19 PM)
I disagree. We're actually knowledgable. How can you be that fired up when the defense is this bad? When the baserunning (and base stealing, lol) is so bad? When the pitching has been blah for the most part and the hitting has been rotten? At least tonight's game had highlights. A lot of games have no highlights. Didn't somebody post that the Sox have scored one run seven times and been shutout twice already? Yikes. We're not that pessimistic; we've just been given very weird baseball to watch the past few seasons. What are we supposed to do? Actually believe the Sox can beat Central Division teams, catch the damn ball and play smart baseball before the team does it for a month at least? And not fall 8 games back in May?

Somehow we're still managing to lose ground to KC when they've uncharacteristically lost 3 in a row...

Quinavry. I can appreciate you trying to get some optimism going during these tough times. :)

Things I'm optimistic about,

Players like Sale, Q and Abreu returning to performing at the higher level they usually play at.

Players such as Shark, Alexei, Cabrera and LaRoche improving enough to become viable trade options or at least show they have something positive to contribute to future Sox teams. Not something I'm counting, probably wishful thinking on part.

David Robertson. Despite last nights blown save, I'm still very happy he is the closer and consider Robertson one of very few positive things about the 2015 season so far.

Carlos Rodon. Yes he has struggled but that's just growing pains and am very optimistic on his future. He will be fine.

Still optimistic about the Sox long term future rotation built around Sale, Q and Rodon.

Avi has been a pleasant surprise with the bat.

Beckham becoming a solid contributor off the bench.

There are some things to be optimistic about, they are just out weighed by the teams overall s***ty performance.

In all honesty. Looking at team stats and individual stats, I'm surprised the Sox record is not worse than it is.