Internet Justice Fair or Foul

Texsox

I was reading some of the tweets and other comments that flame the parents from Nebraska whose 2-year old was killed by an alligator and started wondering is the internet too harsh? These parents had just watched their child being eaten by an alligator. Do they really deserve to be vilified as well?

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 07:16 PM)
I was reading some of the tweets and other comments that flame the parents from Nebraska whose 2-year old was killed by an alligator and started wondering is the internet too harsh? These parents had just watched their child being eaten by an alligator. Do they really deserve to be vilified as well?

I was in a real dark, sad place for about 5 minutes after reading they found the body. So incredibly sad.

I think it depends on the circumstances and facts. Quite often the Internet tends to react before the facts are available, and are more often than not wrong when the facts do emerge.

The Internet can be harsh, and sometimes deservedly so...

A small part of me wants to question them (who goes into a large body of water in Florida?), but, I mean, they lost their 2 year old son. Isn't that enough punishment? And it's not like they were swimming. He was just barely in the water.

These aren't new thoughts people are having, they are just publicly shared now.

The same people sat in their home 20 years ago, watched the news, and talked s*** about the parents. You just had no idea.

Anonymous internet posters are the dregs of society. The anonymity of the internet leads to disgusting comments. It's why they have the "mean tweets" segment on TV. People are bastards.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 07:27 PM)
A small part of me wants to question them (who goes into a large body of water in Florida?), but, I mean, they lost their 2 year old son. Isn't that enough punishment? And it's not like they were swimming. He was just barely in the water.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 07:53 PM)
Yea, you think about the horror of them seeing it and having to live with it, I don't think piling on is necessary

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 11:02 PM)
Yeah, the father tried to pry a gator's mouth open, failed and watched his son dragged away.

They're suffering plenty.

yup

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 08:16 PM)

It's rather monstrous to chide these parents. As someone who grew up in Florida I know enough to avoid gators/potential gator holes once the sun's gone down and it sounds like there was adequate signage on Disney's part. But 2 year olds are going to do what they f***ing want sometimes. Just like the kid at the zoo. It only takes the blink for the little bastards to trundle off to forbidden zones. Happened to me with my god son at Busch Gardens. I was holding his younger sister, his father standing next to me, we may have turned our heads for 15 seconds and next thing we know the kid is halfway across the Clydesdale paddock.

And yeah, the overall internet lynch mob thing is pretty gross. People are quick to read the lede, ditch the nuance, and completely eschew any sense of empathy.

Edited by Nixon

QUOTE (Nixon @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 09:56 AM)
It's rather monstrous to chide these parents. As someone who grew up in Florida I know enough to avoid gators/potential gator holes once the sun's gone down and it sounds like there was adequate signage on Disney's part. But 2 year olds are going to do what they f***ing want sometimes. Just like the kid at the zoo. It only takes the blink for the little bastards to trundle off to forbidden zones. Happened to me with my god son at Busch Gardens. I was holding his younger sister, his father standing next to me, we may have turned our heads for 15 seconds and next thing we know the kid is halfway across the Clydesdale paddock.

And yeah, the overall internet lynch mob thing is pretty gross. People are quick to read the lede, ditch the nuance, and completely eschew any sense of empathy.

The signs I saw, basically said no swimming. At other resorts and parts of beaches, they said, no swimming and referenced gators. If I saw a sign that said no swimming, I wouldn't have an issue with my kid watching the water or even having a foot in the water, potentially. I mean the lake by my house says no swimming (little man made lake, nothing fancy), but ducks in the water and if my daughter stuck her hand in, I wouldn't care in the slightest. I wouldn't let her swim (and there are tons of other kids feeding ducks, etc).

Not being from Florida, I could easily see where someone would be out of touch / not thinking of gators as it relates to the "no swimming" sign. They should have clearly stated, no swimming and beware of gators. I see a sign that says watch out for gators and my kids aren't anywhere near that water. Unfortunately that sign wasn't there (from the few pictures I saw at least).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 07:11 PM)
The signs I saw, basically said no swimming. At other resorts and parts of beaches, they said, no swimming and referenced gators. If I saw a sign that said no swimming, I wouldn't have an issue with my kid watching the water or even having a foot in the water, potentially. I mean the lake by my house says no swimming (little man made lake, nothing fancy), but ducks in the water and if my daughter stuck her hand in, I wouldn't care in the slightest. I wouldn't let her swim (and there are tons of other kids feeding ducks, etc).

Not being from Florida, I could easily see where someone would be out of touch / not thinking of gators as it relates to the "no swimming" sign. They should have clearly stated, no swimming and beware of gators. I see a sign that says watch out for gators and my kids aren't anywhere near that water. Unfortunately that sign wasn't there (from the few pictures I saw at least).

Well clearly you suck as a dad

But I think you speak for 99% of the parents not from areas with gators.

I saw an image on an article that showed the new signs / fence Disney put up after the event, mea culpa. I didn't realize the signs they had at the time of the accident were just "NO SWIMMING". That seems pretty s***ty. Even the National Parks have their ancient signs warning YOU not to molest the alligators. Heh.

Edited by Nixon