Giolito named starter for Tuesday

Nokona

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 01:50 PM)
Miguel Gonzalez could be traded by then. Giolito will probably be in the rotation as much as Lopez is by next Monday.

Giolito has done very little to deserve a call up in my opinion. I would let him finish the season in Charlotte. A 1.41 WHIP in AAA isn't going to translate real well.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 04:15 PM)
Giolito has done very little to deserve a call up in my opinion. I would let him finish the season in Charlotte. A 1.41 WHIP in AAA isn't going to translate real well.

Tough crowd. This is a guy who had to change his mechanics at the beginning of the season.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 08:06 PM)
Tough crowd. This is a guy who had to change his mechanics at the beginning of the season.

I just don't see the point in calling him up this year. Save the service time and let him earn a spot next season.

4.23 ERA since beginning of June, 3.90 since ASB, I'm okay with him getting a shot. I've articulated this before, but I'd like to have him work with Cooper. Such a Gavin Floyd vibe to him, I think he needs to just take the ball every five days.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 08:14 PM)
I just don't see the point in calling him up this year. Save the service time and let him earn a spot next season.

You're not going to get more service time out of him unless you wait until like June next year. He's very likely to be a part of the 2018 opening day rotation and if that's the case, give him six weeks up in the majors now to start his adjusting to the big leagues.

I'm really starting to buy into us being a fringe contender in 2019 and having Lopez & Giolito a bit more seasoned will only help that cause.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 09:47 AM)
If you plan on having him up next year, his service time doesn't matter anymore.

I don't plan on him breaking camp with the team. I would go with a rotation of:

1) Rodon

2) Lopez

3) 1 year deal FA

4) 1 year deal FA

5) Shields

Make Giolito, Fulmer, Stephens and Guerrero earn a promotion in AAA, and have a couple guys that are flip candidates in the rotation.

All that said, if the Sox plan on having Giolito be on the opening day roster next season, then I can't argue them bringing him up for a few starts this year as it will make no difference. I am not THAT passionate about it one way or another, and Gio has been quite good over his past several starts. I just hate wasting service time on our precious assets in what we know is going to be a another awful team in 2018, but it is inevitable. I'd honestly prefer to see fringe guys like Stephens or Guerrero get an opening day rotation spot. Again...just an opinion.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 10:16 AM)
I don't plan on him breaking camp with the team. I would go with a rotation of:

1) Rodon

2) Lopez

3) 1 year deal FA

4) 1 year deal FA

5) Shields

Make Giolito, Fulmer, Stephens and Guerrero earn a promotion in AAA, and have a couple guys that are flip candidates in the rotation.

All that said, if the Sox plan on having Giolito be on the opening day roster next season, then I can't argue them bringing him up for a few starts this year as it will make no difference. I am not THAT passionate about it one way or another, and Gio has been quite good over his past several starts. I just hate wasting service time on our precious assets in what we know is going to be a another awful team in 2018, but it is inevitable. I'd honestly prefer to see fringe guys like Stephens or Guerrero get an opening day rotation spot. Again...just an opinion.

Giolito has 39 days of service as of today. When you add in a couple of weeks to pass the service time deadline that would put him at need to join the Sox roster sometime around the 3rd week of May for the extra year of control. I just don't see that happening. Get him up here September 1st or whenever the next starter is dumped.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
Giolito has 39 days of service as of today. When you add in a couple of weeks to pass the service time deadline that would put him at need to join the Sox roster sometime around the 3rd week of May for the extra year of control. I just don't see that happening. Get him up here September 1st or whenever the next starter is dumped.

Two months in AAA for Giolito isn't inconceivable if the Sox signed two guys like Santiago/Bucholz/Estrada/Chatwood as flip candidates to fill out the rotation, but I totally understand your logic.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 10:28 AM)
Two months in AAA for Giolito isn't inconceivable if the Sox signed two guys like Santiago/Bucholz/Estrada/Chatwood as flip candidates to fill out the rotation, but I totally understand your logic.

I think we see Gio up in sept, then up after they get an additional year of control out of him next year. I see our pitching staff looking like this next year.

SP Rodon*

SP Lopez

SP Chatwood - FA

SP Santiago* - FA

SP Shields

CL - Petricka - Jones if he comes back healthy

SU - FA scrap heap

SU - Bummer*

MR - Goldberg

MR - Rule V

LO - Clark*

LR - Danish

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 10:54 AM)
I think we see Gio up in sept, then up after they get an additional year of control out of him next year. I see our pitching staff looking like this next year.

SP Rodon*

SP Lopez

SP Chatwood - FA

SP Santiago* - FA

SP Shields

CL - Petricka - Jones if he comes back healthy

SU - FA scrap heap

SU - Bummer*

MR - Goldberg

MR - Rule V

LO - Clark*

LR - Danish

If Giotlito spends September with the Sox, he would need to stay in Charlotte until almost July to get the extra year of control. That doesn't make much sense to me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 10:58 AM)
If Giotlito spends September with the Sox, he would need to stay in Charlotte until almost July to get the extra year of control. That doesn't make much sense to me.

I agree. Hahn clearly has his eye on being semi-competitive in 2019, which means giving Giolito a full season or more to work through things next year. Might as well call him up now if that's the case.

Chicago White Sox @whitesox

now

RHP Lucas Giolito will join the White Sox on Monday and make his debut as a starter during the doubleheader vs. Minnesota.

now

RHP Michael Kopech will be promoted to Class AAA Charlotte and make his Knights debut on Monday night at Norfolk.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Aug 18, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)

now

RHP Lucas Giolito will join the White Sox on Monday and make his debut as a starter during the doubleheader vs. Minnesota.

now

RHP Michael Kopech will be promoted to Class AAA Charlotte and make his Knights debut on Monday night at Norfolk.

sweet.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Aug 18, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)

now

now

I hope Giolito starts the 2nd game so I can watch.