HR

5/4

BB

10/13

Strikeouts

62/95

Batters Faced

253/246

For all the K lovers, mission accomplished I suppose.

----------------------------------------------------

His next 9 starts leading up to the All-Star Game:

5-3, 5.56 ERA (White Sox 5-4)

56.2 Innings

65 hits

35 ER

16 BB

61 K

12 HR

245 BF

So far the number of Ks haven't affected him being able to pitch deep in to games. That'll be something interesting keep note of as the season goes on. The number of Ks could just be that the AL East isn't used to seeing him as much so he's just getting more swings and misses. Not taking anything away from the guy though. He's finally getting recognized as one of the very best. Something he's been for years.

• 3 weeks later...

Sale is the best pitcher on the planet right now and it isn't close. He currently leads all pitcher in fWAR by 1.6. FIP currently sits below 2. He's leading the majors in K% and ranks 7th in BB% despite pitching in the tougher league.

I said this earlier in the thread but his ability to continually improve despite already being so great amazes me.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 08:54 PM)
Sale is the best pitcher on the planet right now and it isn't close. He currently leads all pitcher in fWAR by 1.6. FIP currently sits below 2. He's leading the majors in K% and ranks 7th in BB% despite pitching in the tougher league.

I said this earlier in the thread but his ability to continually improve despite already being so great amazes me.

In SIERA Sale has a 2.55 and Scherzer has a 2.71. They are the only 2 under three.

the only weakness he seems to have is his LOB%. It's only 69%, whereas Scherzer is 81%. Sale is below the league average even. He kind of falls apart when runners are on base or he isn't pitching out of the stretch well this year. I haven't watched him pitch to know which it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Sale now at 10-3 after beating the Twins.

Looking at those 3 Loses he pitched against Detroit for 7.2 IP giving up 2 ER, against NYY for 8.0 IP and 3 R (2 ER), and Philadelphia for 8.0 IP w/ just 1 ER.

He should be undefeated :P

This 2017 version of Chris Sale is for real.

Looking at fangraphs:

- Manged increased his swinging strike% by an incredible 5% this year, his 16.2% swstr now leads MLB, and is by far his career best.

- FB velo increased by 1.5 MPH, 2nd high FB velo since becoming a starter

- Mixing up his pitches, throwing 29.2% slider, by far the highest since 2013.

- BABIP is consistent with his career norm

- Benefited from move away from the cell. HR/9 is lowest since 2014, when he posted a 2.17 ERA

All in all, it seems like Sale is going all out and maximizing his talent, the only concern is if his skinny frame will hold up till playoff time.

Edited by 2005thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 10:50 AM)

Looking at fangraphs:

- Manged increased his swinging strike% by an incredible 5% this year, his 16.2% swstr now leads MLB, and is by far his career best.

- Benefited from move away from the cell. HR/9 is lowest since 2014, when he posted a 2.17 ERA

All in all, it seems like Sale is going all out and maximizing his talent, the only concern is if his skinny frame will hold up till playoff time.

This is all great, and I don't mean to take anything away from what he's doing, but haven't we seen this before? He pitches otherworldly for the first 5 months, then falls apart in September. That's going to be the real test for him, especially since he'll probably be pitching in October for the first time in his career.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 11:41 AM)
This is all great, and I don't mean to take anything away from what he's doing, but haven't we seen this before? He pitches otherworldly for the first 5 months, then falls apart in September. That's going to be the real test for him, especially since he'll probably be pitching in October for the first time in his career.

What were his numbers like right at the end of his strikeout run in 2015? That was perhaps the most dominant I'd seen him, but then he hit a wall in July.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 10:50 AM)

Looking at fangraphs:

That and his arm in general.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 11:41 AM)

I'm sure someone can spend time and do a more detailed year to date analysis, but on the surface it looks like his velocity, slider % and swinging strike % all seen dramatic increases. Even if he regresses in the second half, those number would still be better than in years past by year end.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 03:49 AM)
He didn't say this year (unless he meant to, then your right).

But if he didn't mean to, Kershaw must've died and I didn't get the memo. ;)

There is a reasonable argument to be made for any one of Kershaw/Sale/Scherzer. If Kershaw's "struggles" this year with HR's and his slider are correctable rather than some type of marginal decline, then he's still the best pitcher in baseball.

But this season I do think it has been Sale, and generally speaking I think Sale is better than Scherzer. Both pitchers are incredible, but they have essentially the same numbers (Scherzer lower ERA, Sale better peripherals) despite the fact Sale is pitching in a significantly tougher league and division. Let him face the Marlins, Phillies, & Braves in 1/3 of his starts and that would have a significant effect on his numbers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...