kenta maeda

Whisox05

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 06:42 PM)
Still no word on if kenta maeda will be posted. He is a 26 yr old right hander in the Japanese league. Wonder if the sox would have interest or not. He pitched last night and shutout the mlb all stars. Here is a article on him

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/101216162/ke...in-japan-series

I like him, but at the same time overly cautious with how many innings he has

pitched.

I like it that he pitch and won. I wonder what the cost will be.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 08:16 PM)
I've been interested since first reading about him months ago. He's not gonna get Tanaka type money,

and I think being scared off completely by what happened to Tanaka is a little silly.

yeah you are right, however the Japanese pitchers throw a lot on innings and

sometime back to back games.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)

This is true. What scares me is how many innings that skinny 6' 154 pound frame of his has thrown. His innings pitched and skinny frame makes me question his long term durability. Plus, his body will have to try and adapt to pitching every fifth start. Just not willing to to take the chance.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 08:36 PM)
This is true. What scares me is how many innings that skinny 6' 154 pound frame of his has thrown. His innings pitched and skinny frame makes me question his long term durability. Plus, his body will have to try and adapt to pitching every fifth start. Just not willing to to take the chance.

esp with the wild arse money being thrown that way.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 03:23 PM)

I mean you can point to Tanaka as a negative, but I can also point to Darvish who's thrown the 8th most innings since coming over. Hisashi Iwakuma, who came over the same year, ranked 35th in innings and he was a reliever for the first half of his first year. Or Hiroki Kuroda who in all but 1 season recorded 30+ starts

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)

Have to wonder when that weight was taken. He doesn't look THAT thin in the video in the OP.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 01:41 PM)
esp with the wild arse money being thrown that way.

You ain't lyin!

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
Have to wonder when that weight was taken. He doesn't look THAT thin in the video in the OP.

I'm glad you brought that up because I never did stop to question that so I just looked up Maeda on the NPB site. NPB lists Maeda at 81kg which translates to 178 lbs. Much better than than the 154 lbs baseball reference has him listed at.

I'm still leery, though not as much. I guess it would come down to how many years and his annual salary he was looking for. Not a pitcher I would go for broke on.

The innings maeda pitched in Japan is only 12 innings more then tanaka pitched when he came over. That didn't stop the sox from trying to get him. Maeda may not have as higher talent has Tanaka tho. It would be more interesting if maeda can adjust to mlb. Iwakuma had over 1500 innings before he came over. If your worrying about him being thin then you have to worry about sale also. If you are worriying about innings then does anyone know what the average is for a pitcher in the states to pitch a high school level to college and then have to pitch in the minors to make it to the major leagues is.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 08:48 PM)
I mean you can point to Tanaka as a negative, but I can also point to Darvish who's thrown the 8th most innings since coming over. Hisashi Iwakuma, who came over the same year, ranked 35th in innings and he was a reliever for the first half of his first year. Or Hiroki Kuroda who in all but 1 season recorded 30+ starts

yes I did after hearing about his arm problems in ny. I found an article and posted the

link on this site. the reporter wrote up a story of Tanaka pitching in the playoff, before

he came over to the states, that he threw in 1 game 160+ pitches. the next game which

was the next day he came in to relief and pitched an additional 3 innings. that whole series

had him pitching like this. normal pitchers should have been resting.

that was also the same during the season leading up to the playoff.

so yeah after reading that and other articles I am leery. I have to give it to Darvish, he is

a great pitcher. I wonder if he had to do something like that.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)

Wei-Yin Chen of the Orioles, while Taiwanese, also fits that Iwakuma profile of being relatively unheralded and over-performing expectations.

For every two Hideki Irabu's or Kei Igawa's, there's one success story. (The original "hit and miss" Asian pitchers were Nomo and Chan-Ho Park, along with Mac Suzuki).

The Red Sox in particular have had a good stretch with Japanese relievers, especially Uehara.

But, in the end, Dice-K and what transpired with Tanaka still stick in the craws of most GM's. Darvish was ouchy last year, too.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
Wei-Yin Chen of the Orioles, while Taiwanese, also fits that Iwakuma profile of being relatively unheralded and over-performing expectations.

For every two Hideki Irabu's or Kei Igawa's, there's one success story. (The original "hit and miss" Asian pitchers were Nomo and Chan-Ho Park, along with Mac Suzuki).

The Red Sox in particular have had a good stretch with Japanese relievers, especially Uehara.

But, in the end, Dice-K and what transpired with Tanaka still stick in the craws of most GM's. Darvish was ouchy last year, too.

I don't think Chan Ho missed. He won over 100 games with a career ERA 4.45 and threw nearly 2000 innings. He was very very good with the Dodgers and then went downhill after he got his big FA contract w/Rangers.

Lets give this thread a bit more play here instead of hijacking the other thread....here was my last post.

No need to back off the "argument".....Though this should all probably be done in the Maeda thread

Like you've said it's all subjective.

It keeps being said the last few years that 1 WAR=5M in value. John Danks wasn't a 3 WAR player. In my opinion, this of course being key here, Maeda can indeed be a 3 WAR player and thus be worth 15M.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
arguement???? i thought it was a nice discussion.

I put argument in quotes for lack of a better word...discussion is what I was looking for.

Anyway, I think Maeda has a chance to be much better than all those guys you mentioned.

Villanueva has a career era of 5.00 as a starter

Volquez like eminor said is a ticking time bomb and I'm not buying his season .

Vogelsong would get lit up in the cell/AL.

Here's another interesting article I liked on Maeda. http://seattlesportsinsider.com/tags/kenta-maeda

Edited by scs787

• 4 weeks later...