Asdrubal Cabrera?

GGajewski18

What are your guys/gals thoughts on him? He's had a pretty bad 2 years but he is tremendous on defense. He just recently turned 29 so he's still fairly young.

My thought is if you can get him on a 1 or 2 year deal and hit in lower in the order, I think he can do really good for this team, especially on the defensive side.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cabreas01.shtml

There is his career stats. Also, Chris Rose on IT predicts that he goes to the Sox for 1 year/8 million. I know he isn't an insider, just a tidbit throwing at you guys.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 02:23 PM)
What are your guys/gals thoughts on him? He's had a pretty bad 2 years but he is tremendous on defense. He just recently turned 29 so he's still fairly young.

My thought is if you can get him on a 1 or 2 year deal and hit in lower in the order, I think he can do really good for this team, especially on the defensive side.

There is his career stats. Also, Chris Rose on IT predicts that he goes to the Sox for 1 year/8 million. I know he isn't an insider, just a tidbit throwing at you guys.

I wouldn't hate it on a 1-year deal so as to not rush Micah Johnson, but I am actually looking forward to seeing him out there. Asdrubal also is a pretty poor defensively. I'd pass.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)
Sign Bonifacio instead and to be on the bench. Sanchez or Johnson can start, but if we are in the middle of a division race and one is struggling, play Bonifacio.

.252/.307/.333 .639 OPS over the last 3 years. That's what Bonifacio has done. It's similar but worse than what Beckham did over 3 years, and most people were calling for his head the whole time. I'd think Sanchez and or Micah and or Saladino can do that. If not, I'd hope the Sox could find a bigger upgrade at the deadline.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 03:23 PM)
.252/.307/.333 .639 OPS over the last 3 years. That's what Bonifacio has done. It's similar but worse than what Beckham did over 3 years, and most people were calling for his head the whole time. I'd think Sanchez and or Micah and or Saladino can do that. If not, I'd hope the Sox could find a bigger upgrade at the deadline.

Bonaficio brings more to the table than Beckham though. If he were brought in to be the starter at 2B, I'd be very upset, but as a bench player he wouldn't be the worst player in the world. Basically Leury Garcia with a much better bat as a guy who is fast and flashes leather and versatility but just doesn't hit enough to start.

The starter frankly needs to be one of Sanchez or Johnson at this point in time.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 03:43 PM)
Bonaficio brings more to the table than Beckham though. If he were brought in to be the starter at 2B, I'd be very upset, but as a bench player he wouldn't be the worst player in the world. Basically Leury Garcia with a much better bat as a guy who is fast and flashes leather and versatility but just doesn't hit enough to start.

The starter frankly needs to be one of Sanchez or Johnson at this point in time.

I wouldn't even be upset with a cheap Gordon Beckham being brought in as a bench player. We know he can play 2B and 3B defensively. I am sure with some reps, he'd serve as a serviceable enough SS to cover the few games that Alexei takes off.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 03:51 PM)
Where we need to bring in a bench player is for the outfield. We have nothing in AAA to help.

We have 3 guys ready to go for the infield. Let them fight it out. Why bring in someone we know is terrible like Beckham or Cabrera?

Unlike most, I have very low expectations of those 3.

No, if for no other reason that if the Sox signed him, I wouldn't be able to continue calling him Assdribble.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 04:05 PM)

Does anyone here have high expectations for any of those guys this year? I think Micah will probably be the guy but I'd personally be real happy with giving the job to Sanchez and letting him suck at the plate as long as he provides an above average glove which I think he can do at 2b.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 06:05 PM)

Second base is a pretty low bar. League average seems to be around a 80 wRC+, a .670ish OPS. Sanchez probably comes in short of that but with above average defense. A healthy Micah, maybe with a little more seasoning in AAA might be able to best that, be a plus base runner, and a ? on defense.

My expectations aren't too high for those 3, or most of the other second basemen in baseball.

I have absolute confidence that they can handle the position defensively.

I have absolute confidence that any of them are as good as Cabrera or Beckham.

Johnson has good upside. He could easily be at least a Dee Gordon type. and we'd have had to trade a heck of a lot more than him to get a Dee Gordon.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 09:52 PM)
I wonder how much of a look they'll give Saladino at 2B. He very well could be the best of the bunch, especially for this season.

As of right now he's the backup utility IF who can also play a "solid" SS. If they bring someone in to fill that role, you'll have a clear statement about how much confidence they have in him starting the season.