A Haystack of Needles

hi8is

Every time Jeff Samarjdza, David Robertson, Adam LaRoche, and the rest of our new acquisitions come up on my screen - I can't seem to reflect back ten years. I've said it before and I'll say it again now... this off season feels like 2004.

Let's take a deeper look and see what the landscape looked like.

2004 Offseason:

December 9, 2004: Jermaine Dye was signed as a free agent

December 9, 2004: Dustin Hermanson was signed as a free agent

December 13, 2004: Carlos Lee was traded by the White Sox to the Milwaukee Brewers for Scott Podsednik and Luis Vizcaíno.

December 17, 2004: Bobby Jenks was claimed off waivers

January 3, 2005: Orlando Hernández was signed as a free agent

January 6, 2005: A. J. Pierzynski was signed as a free agent

January 27, 2005: Tadahito Iguchi was signed as a free agent

That's 8 new players moving from 04 => 05.

2014 Offseason:

November 18, 2014: Zach Duke was signed as a free agent

November 20, 2014: Onelki Garcia was claimed off waivers

November 25, 2014: Adam LaRoche was signed as a free agent

November 28, 2014: Tony Campana was signed as a free agent

December 8, 2014: Rob Brantly was claimed off waivers

December 9, 2014: Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa were traded to the White Sox by the Oakland Athletics for infielder Marcus Semien, righty Chris Bassitt, Josh Phegley and Rangel Ravelo

December 10, 2014: David Robertson was signed as a free agent

December 11, 2014: Dan Jennings was traded to the White Sox by the Miami Marlins for Andre Rienzo.

December 14, 2014: Melky Cabrera was signed as a free agent

December 16, 2014: Brad Penny was signed as a free agent

That's 11 new players moving from 14 => 15

I think it's likely that 7 or 8 of those players stick.

About to land on an airplane - so you guys can beat this topic up... and I'll circle back another time when I've got nothing to do again.

:D

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)
Every time Jeff Samarjdza, David Robertson, Adam LaRoche, and the rest of our new acquisitions come up on my screen - I can't seem to reflect back ten years. I've said it before and I'll say it again now... this off season feels like 2004.

Let's take a deeper look and see what the landscape looked like.

2004 Offseason:

December 9, 2004: Jermaine Dye was signed as a free agent

December 9, 2004: Dustin Hermanson was signed as a free agent

December 13, 2004: Carlos Lee was traded by the White Sox to the Milwaukee Brewers for Scott Podsednik and Luis Vizcaíno.

December 17, 2004: Bobby Jenks was claimed off waivers

January 3, 2005: Orlando Hernández was signed as a free agent

January 6, 2005: A. J. Pierzynski was signed as a free agent

January 27, 2005: Tadahito Iguchi was signed as a free agent

That's 8 new players moving from 04 => 05.

2014 Offseason:

November 18, 2014: Zach Duke was signed as a free agent

November 20, 2014: Onelki Garcia was claimed off waivers

November 25, 2014: Adam LaRoche was signed as a free agent

November 28, 2014: Tony Campana was signed as a free agent

December 8, 2014: Rob Brantly was claimed off waivers

December 9, 2014: Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa were traded to the White Sox by the Oakland Athletics for infielder Marcus Semien, righty Chris Bassitt, Josh Phegley and Rangel Ravelo

December 10, 2014: David Robertson was signed as a free agent

December 11, 2014: Dan Jennings was traded to the White Sox by the Miami Marlins for Andre Rienzo.

December 14, 2014: Melky Cabrera was signed as a free agent

December 16, 2014: Brad Penny was signed as a free agent

That's 11 new players moving from 14 => 15

I think it's likely that 7 or 8 of those players stick.

About to land on an airplane - so you guys can beat this topic up... and I'll circle back another time when I've got nothing to do again.

:D

Landing on an airplane has to hurt. I hope you are OK.

QUOTE (MEANS @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 06:04 PM)
yeah this off-season has been a nice turn around to looking like we can compete where as 2004-5 was like WTF is going on? However one can't argue with the results of that off-season.

I still remember that offseason being looked at very favorably. I remember most thinking we had filled all holes when Iguchi was signed.

Remember, all the 01-04 sox people complained about it being all or nothing, only home run based. People were excited for a high obp player like pods that could run.

I can agree with that, it was more that we were making some smaller "non-sexy" moves that the average fan would question. In previous seasons we underachieved and we were about to go a different unproven direction, which turned out perfectly.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 12:04 PM)
Only thing I'll say is the 2004 white sox were chock full of injuries and were 83-79. This sox team was 73-89. THere's just a lot more to overcome.

OTOH, if we get 16 games improvement we are in the playoffs.

I really believe that if Maggs and Frank hadn't gone down in 2004, they would have had a real legit shot to win it all. Their pitching wasn't all that great but a front three of Buehrle, Garcia and Garland could have been good enough in the playoffs with the offense the Sox would have had that year.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 07:15 PM)
I really believe that if Maggs and Frank hadn't gone down in 2004, they would have had a real legit shot to win it all. Their pitching wasn't all that great but a front three of Buehrle, Garcia and Garland could have been good enough in the playoffs with the offense the Sox would have had that year.

I loved those teams. I was too young to really remember much about early 90s except for I know I knew the players and watched. I remember Bo's home run, but not much other specific memories even in 94.

I didn't really get back into baseball after the strike until the 2000 team, so those 01-04 teams are the real memories I have.