My house is being attacked by birds.

shipps

I have a cedar siding home and I have had a long running issue of birds pecking holes into the siding. It started on one side of the house. I patched it up and they came back leaving more holes for me to patch. I then put one of them toy hawks in the shrub to scare them away. That didnt really work because they still poked holes just not as frequently. Now they have graduated to the other side of the house and are putting holes there.

I googled how to handle this issue but everything seems to be just using scare tactics which the birds dont seem to react to.

Do any of you guys have any experience with this? What the hell can I do before they eat my house?

I am not really sure if its a woodpecker if its another species of bird that pecks to be honest. They do it during the day when I am at work.

One thing that I forgot to mention is that when we used to let our cat go outside and roam it was a fairly effective deterrent. However we had to stop letting her go outside because she kept on murdering rabbits and bringing them to the door. I am not exaggerating either, I don't know how she would bring at least one rabbit a day and one time a family of rabbits including its little bunnies. So yeah, the cat just cant be the security guard anymore.

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 12:18 PM)
I am not really sure if its a woodpecker if its another species of bird that pecks to be honest. They do it during the day when I am at work.

One thing that I forgot to mention is that when we used to let our cat go outside and roam it was a fairly effective deterrent. However we had to stop letting her go outside because she kept on murdering rabbits and bringing them to the door. I am not exaggerating either, I don't know how she would bring at least one rabbit a day and one time a family of rabbits including its little bunnies. So yeah, the cat just cant be the security guard anymore.

It's like bringing Jason back from the dead and expecting him to not murder a few coeds. :huh

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 11:23 AM)
I smell side business.

"Shipps Cat Rental and Rabbit Stew Emporium"

I am really scarred from having to cleanup the carnage. When my daughter looked out our sliding doors yelling for me to "come look at the blood" while I was eating dinner was pretty rough but what I saw was even worse then what I could have imagined. LOL

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 09:22 AM)
I have a cedar siding home and I have had a long running issue of birds pecking holes into the siding. It started on one side of the house. I patched it up and they came back leaving more holes for me to patch. I then put one of them toy hawks in the shrub to scare them away. That didnt really work because they still poked holes just not as frequently. Now they have graduated to the other side of the house and are putting holes there.

I googled how to handle this issue but everything seems to be just using scare tactics which the birds dont seem to react to.

Do any of you guys have any experience with this? What the hell can I do before they eat my house?

Move.

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 09:22 AM)

Check and see if Guaranteed Rate is still looking for other sponsorship deals. That seems to keep people away.

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 07:22 AM)

Well, if I asked my wife, she would tell you to move (as she is deathly afraid of birds).

I had a pigeon problem at my old house. They nested under the eaves and made a mess of my entry walkway with their droppings. My wife was always complaining about it and looking up different scare tactics on the computer.

So, I tried the plastic owl. No good.

I hung fishing line (because they fear getting their wings entangled). Didn't work - and a huge pain to do.

I glued plastic spikes to the roof. They would land and walk right between them. I had surveillance cameras (due to a wacky neighbor - different thread), so I saw them doing it. They'd land and weave between the spikes to their nest. One even pecked and broke my camera lens.

Nothing really worked until I started going up and knocking down the nest every few weeks. Finally they left.

So, figure out why they're there (nesting or feeding), and eliminate that problem.