> 2016-2017 NFL Thread
Sox-35th
post Today, 12:22 PM
Post #3901

Starter

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,665

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 12:14 PM) *
At the time of their drafts, Brady, Rodgers, and Brees would have been considered pretty big reaches at pick #3.

If everyone performs to their pre draft ranking, then the Bears shouldn't take a QB at 3. One thing is for sure, they can make the playoffs with a game manager, but for some sustained success, they need a star.

Problem is for every Brady, Rodgers, and Brees, there are about 100 teams that set themselves back 5 years choosing the wrong guy.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JUSTgottaBELIEVE
post Today, 12:23 PM
Post #3902

September Call Up

Member No.: 4,102

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 09:47 AM) *
I certainly hope so. Thompson and McCarthy have gotten away with being very mediocre due to the fact that they have had back to back Hall of Fame QB's on their team to cover for glaring holes.

For example, their #1 corner has been out since week 1 and they have not done anything to even bring in some depth to cover for that huge loss. Thankfully vets like Micah Hyde have stepped up to at least be a serviceable bandage.

Thompson has been a pretty good GM overall. Aside from his annoying refusal to plug obvious holes with free agents (one of mine and many GB fans' pet peeves), he has done a good job drafting particularly in the later rounds. He recognized the secondary needed help a few years ago and spent their first pick in 2014 and first two picks in 2015 attempting to address this need. His biggest mistake last offseason was placing too much faith in Randall and Rollins (top two picks from 2015) while letting Hayward walk. Also, trusting Shields to get through an entire season given his injury history. This team would be much better with Hayward still on the team and they could have easily afforded him.

http://www.packers.com/history/draft-history.html

I am indifferent on McCarthy and the rest of the coaching staff. There are worse coaches out there for sure but there are also a number of better coaches. I know many GB fans despise Capers but in general the coaching staff is kinda just blah to me.

+Quote Post
SoxAce
post Today, 12:30 PM
Post #3903

Retired FutureSox Member

Member No.: 1,314

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 12:14 PM) *
At the time of their drafts, Brady, Rodgers, and Brees would have been considered pretty big reaches at pick #3.

Rodgers was a consensus top 3-5 pick in that draft. Hell, Kiper Jr. had him only slightly behind Alex Smith in that draft and that was only because he felt Smith was more NFL ready off the bat. Rodgers just happened to slip in the draft because every other team was set (or believed they were) at QB. (Kind of like Greg Olsen falling to the Bears lap and other players as well) And guys like Brady and Brees are not the usual standard. Noone and I mean noone would've predicted Brady to be the player that he is. One of the rare players who was way better in the NFL than in college. And Brees had questions about his height which was very common during that time.

This post has been edited by SoxAce: Today, 12:34 PM

+Quote Post
Dick Allen
post Today, 12:37 PM
Post #3904

Third Base Coach

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 12:30 PM) *
Rodgers was a consensus top 3-5 pick in that draft. Hell, Kiper Jr. had him only slightly behind Alex Smith in that draft and that was only because he felt Smith was more NFL ready off the bat. Rodgers just happened to slip in the draft because every other team was set (or believed they were) at QB. (Kind of like Greg Olsen falling to the Bears lap and other players as well) And guys like Brady and Brees are not the usual standard. Noone and I mean noone would've predicted Brady to be the player that he is. One of the rare players who was way better in the NFL than in college. And Brees had questions about his height which was very common during that time.

He went 24th. If teams had a top 3-5 grade on him he would have gone a lot sooner. Kiper loved him, there is no question about that, but teams don't listen to him. Sometimes they should, sometimes they are probably happy they don't.

This post has been edited by Dick Allen: Today, 12:39 PM

+Quote Post
SoxAce
post Today, 12:41 PM
Post #3905

Retired FutureSox Member

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 12:37 PM) *
He went 24th. If teams had a top 3-5 grade on him he would have gone a lot sooner.

I'll bet the house the 49ers are still regretting passing on him. Lets just leave it at that. Some teams also drafted on need at that time, not BPA. Hell, some still do.

+Quote Post
Dick Allen
post Today, 12:45 PM
Post #3906

Third Base Coach

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 12:41 PM) *
I'll bet the house the 49ers are still regretting passing on him. Lets just leave it at that. Some teams also drafted on need at that time, not BPA. Hell, some still do.

The Bears spent the 4th pick on Ced Benson. It would have been doubly good if they drafted Rodgers because not only would they have him, the Packers would not.

+Quote Post
Y2JImmy0
post Today, 12:49 PM
Post #3907

MVP

Member No.: 7,420

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 12:41 PM) *

They would have played him right away and he wouldn't have been anywhere near as good though. Rodgers needed a ton of mechanical work to turn into what he has.

+Quote Post
SoxAce
post Today, 12:50 PM
Post #3908

Retired FutureSox Member

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 12:45 PM) *
The Bears spent the 4th pick on Ced Benson. It would have been doubly good if they drafted Rodgers because not only would they have him, the Packers would not.

They believed Rex was their guy. Noone thought Rodgers would fall into the Packers lap, which helped coincide with Favre getting up there in age. You gotta remember even with injuries, Rex was only 2 years removed from being drafted in the 1st round by the Bears. They just didn't know what they had in him since he got injured his first couple of years there.

+Quote Post
zenryan
post Today, 12:51 PM
Post #3909

MVP

Member No.: 3,292

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 01:45 PM) *

And the Bucs picked Cadillac Williams and decided to roll the dice with Brian Griese and Chris Simms as their QBs. Thanks a lot Gruden....

+Quote Post
SoxAce
post Today, 12:53 PM
Post #3910

Retired FutureSox Member

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 12:49 PM) *
They would have played him right away and he wouldn't have been anywhere near as good though. Rodgers needed a ton of mechanical work to turn into what he has.

We will never know. Did it help he watched Favre all that time? Maybe. But I still think he would've been great regardless.

+Quote Post
Dick Allen
post Today, 12:55 PM
Post #3911

Third Base Coach

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 12:50 PM) *
They believed Rex was their guy. Noone thought Rodgers would fall into the Packers lap, which helped coincide with Favre getting up there in age. You gotta remember even with injuries, Rex was only 2 years removed from being drafted in the 1st round by the Bears. They just didn't know what they had in him since he got injured his first couple of years there.

Favre was with GB for 3 more seasons. Rodgers only threw 59 passes total his first 3 years. So maybe there is something to he's as good as he is because he had that opportunity to develop. I have no idea. But there are many teams that wish they had their pick before him back.

+Quote Post
Dick Allen
post Today, 12:57 PM
Post #3912

Third Base Coach

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 12:51 PM) *
And the Bucs picked Cadillac Williams and decided to roll the dice with Brian Griese and Chris Simms as their QBs. Thanks a lot Gruden....

Gruden said the other day the reason he isn't coaching Oakland was because he picked a kicker in round 1 and a punter in round 5 the draft Brady went in round 6.

+Quote Post
SoxAce
post Today, 01:00 PM
Post #3913

Retired FutureSox Member

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 12:55 PM) *
Favre was with GB for 3 more seasons. Rodgers only threw 59 passes total his first 3 years. So maybe there is something to he's as good as he is because he had that opportunity to develop. I have no idea. But there are many teams that wish they had their pick before him back.

Exactly. Because he was a top 3-5 consensus pick. Greg Olsen for example knows a thing or two about slipping from where you were projected to get picked. (Top 15)

+Quote Post
RockRaines
post Today, 01:04 PM
Post #3914

One toke over the line

Member No.: 2,022

Brady is literally the ultimate outlier in the history of drafts. It proves nothing whatsoever. A guy who wasnt all that great in college ends up being drafted about where his performance and athletic appearance dictated, and then became an all-timer.

If I put his stats next to JT Barrett's for example, you would probably pick JT

This post has been edited by RockRaines: Today, 01:05 PM

+Quote Post

261 Pages V  « < 259 260 261
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th January 2017 - 01:27 PM