Make it Milledge

macsandz

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's going to come down to Lillibridge or Milledge. Both have a lot of pros and cons. I have a feeling Milledge is going to win the slot and thrive with the White Sox though. Being on a team with other strong personalities will probably cause him to tone down some of his character issues.

Lillibridge offers flexibility, but that's really the only clear advantage over Milledge. But when you have Vizquel and Teahen (and Dunn can play 1b) also on the bench I don't really see the need for another infielder, especially one as bad as Lillibridge.

It amazes me how much better of a player Brent Lillibridge has become over the winter without playing with a good number of posters. This guy has no business being in the major leagues. The Sox have a back up infielder in Vizquel and Teahen can play everywhere but SS in a pinch. If Ramirez and Vizquel go down in the same game, Beckham can play SS in a pinch. Lillibridge sucks and always will suck. He's out of options, so what. Let him go suck for someone else.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (lord chas @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 08:41 PM)
what makes lillibridge so special that he cant be replaced?

Try to find another cheap, speedy player who can play 2nd, 3rd, ss, lf, cf, & rf.

If he gets playing time, he can put up good stats. He did it last year while Teahen was out.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 08:53 PM)
Try to find another cheap, speedy player who can play 2nd, 3rd, ss, lf, cf, & rf.

If he gets playing time, he can put up good stats. He did it last year while Teahen was out.

.224 .248 .378 .625 is far from good. And I doubt he even repeats that.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 08:57 PM)

You're looking at the entire season. Look at June and July when he got more playing time.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...ar=2010&t=b

He held an average over .270 until mid September.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...p;t=b&year=

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 09:07 PM)
You're looking at the entire season. Look at June and July when he got more playing time.

That's because he most likely won't see much playing time behind Teahen and Vizquel, you have to look at what he brings as an occasional bench player, and it's terrible.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 06:38 PM)
A bad player who is versatile is still a bad player.

Had they only used such basic logic in evaluating Kotsay.

Couldn't find the dead horse beating emoticon. Donde?

We have Teahen who can play 3B (awfully, of course), and we have Vizquel who can play SS, 3B, and 2B. I don't see why we need a 3rd backup infielder. Whereas we have only have 1 backup OF in Teahen, who isn't that great out there either.

I think having Vizquel pretty much makes Lillibridge's versatility moot.

Go with Milledge.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 04:32 AM)
We have Teahen who can play 3B (awfully, of course), and we have Vizquel who can play SS, 3B, and 2B. I don't see why we need a 3rd backup infielder. Whereas we have only have 1 backup OF in Teahen, who isn't that great out there either.

I think having Vizquel pretty much makes Lillibridge's versatility moot.

Go with Milledge.

That. Lillibridge won't need to play the IF with Vizquel.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 08:07 PM)

Yeah, don't look at the entire season. A smaller sample size will surely show what he's all about. C'mon, man. The only thing he does that isn't covered by De Aza/Teahen or Milledge/Teahen is play SS, and he's not very good at that, and the Sox already have a HOF back up at that position, plus another guy who could play there in a real pinch. You're not going to send Lillibridge to pinch hit. You can with De Aza or Milledge. Brent Lillibridge, despite being able to play several positions, is not a major league baseball player.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 07:57 PM)

yea and he sucks defensively in the infield. he had trouble making the throw from 2nd lol thats like saying teahen can play 3rd. is listed as being able to play 3rd but he clearly cant. ill take milledge, easily

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 07:44 AM)
yea and he sucks defensively in the infield. he had trouble making the throw from 2nd lol thats like saying teahen can play 3rd. is listed as being able to play 3rd but he clearly cant. ill take milledge, easily

He clearly isn't going to help you win. I just think people freak out because he's out of options thinking therefore, he has to make the team. What's the difference if he's playing in Charlotte or Rochester? Its time to move on. He's never going to start. The sudden affection for him is puzzling. He's at best 3rd string right now, who may eventually if all goes right, make his way up to a 2nd string guy. They are a dime a dozen, especially guys who don't hit for any average or power and strike out a ton.