Alexei Ramirez, option buyout, and comp pick

NorthSideSox72

Alexei Ramirez has an option with a buyout clause after this year. If the Sox hang onto him, but buy out his 2016 option (as opposed to taking it), can the team then offer him arb and get a comp pick if he turns it down?

Someone asked on Twitter, I honestly can't find the answer.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:27 PM)
Alexei Ramirez has an option with a buyout clause after this year. If the Sox hang onto him, but buy out his 2016 option (as opposed to taking it), can the team then offer him arb and get a comp pick if he turns it down?

I believe we make him a qualifying offer, but IIRC, the qualifying offer would be like a $15M (or something along those lines) to be able to actual get the comp pick and thus, by all intents and purposes, we can't get a comp pick (since we would be insane to offer that sort of qualifying offer and even if we were insane enough to do it, no other team would be more insane to then sign him for more.

What is a qualifying offer?

Teams must make their departing players a qualifying offer in order to be eligible for draft pick compensation. The value of the qualifying offer changes from year to year and is determined by averaging the top 125 player salaries from the previous season. That value is set at $15.3 million for this offseason.

Only players who played the entire previous season with the same club can be extended a qualifying offer. For example, the A's cannot submit one to Jon Lester because they acquired him at the trade deadline.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/11/3/7152...ion-free-agency

Offering him arbitration is the old rule. The new rule is making a qualifying offer. The qualifying offer a one year offer for the average of the top 125 salaries from the previous year. For 2015, this figure was $15.3M. Since his 2016 team option is only $10M, there is zero chance the Sox would make him a qualifying offer and a less than zero chance that Alexei would turn it down, so no, there is no scenario in which the Sox get a comp pick for Alexei.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 02:27 PM)

The question is pretty silly. We hold an option that will be cheaper then what he would cost for the one year qualifying offer. If he thought he was worth that much, we'd just pick up his option.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 02:35 PM)
I believe we make him a qualifying offer, but IIRC, the qualifying offer would be like a $15M (or something along those lines) to be able to actual get the comp pick and thus, by all intents and purposes, we can't get a comp pick (since we would be insane to offer that sort of qualifying offer and even if we were insane enough to do it, no other team would be more insane to then sign him for more.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/11/3/7152...ion-free-agency

This is correct. Yes, we could but no, we shouldn't/wouldn't.

But as far as whether the Sox could legally make him a QO, I think they could. Once his current contract was bought out, he'd just be a pending free agent who spent the previous season with the team, and that makes him eligible for a QO. Right?

I'd be surprised if the Sox picked up his 10 million dollar option next season. He's 35 or so (being born in Cuba who knows for sure...) and is clearly slowing down.

I'd have to think you could find a stop gap shortstop for one year (until Anderson is ready) for less then 10 million and use whatever money you save on another position.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 03:24 PM)
I'd be surprised if the Sox picked up his 10 million dollar option next season. He's 35 or so (being born in Cuba who knows for sure...) and is clearly slowing down.

I'd have to think you could find a stop gap shortstop for one year (until Anderson is ready) for less then 10 million and use whatever money you save on another position.

Mark

With the price of SS's and the lack of them out there, the only way Alexei doesn't get picked up is if he completely falls apart the rest of this year.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 07:50 PM)
is Saladino all of the sudden not a shortstop? People seem to completely forget that for whatever reason. I'd wager money that Saladino is more productive than Alexei next year at SS.

Technically Sanchez has played there a decent amount too, although Saladino likely best defender.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 06:52 PM)
Technically Sanchez has played there a decent amount too, although Saladino likely best defender.

Yeah, I thought I heard that Saladino is a viable option there defensively. I don't see what Alexei has on Saladino next year. Or this year tbh. We just don't have a 3rd baseman

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 07:56 PM)
Yeah, I thought I heard that Saladino is a viable option there defensively. I don't see what Alexei has on Saladino next year. Or this year tbh. We just don't have a 3rd baseman

Sanchez has played there some also and we do have a viable 2b option...but that's not an IF you have a whole lot of confidence in, in terms of experience & such.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 06:50 PM)
is Saladino all of the sudden not a shortstop? People seem to completely forget that for whatever reason. I'd wager money that Saladino is more productive than Alexei next year at SS.

I'll take that bet. Times like $10,000

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 06:50 PM)

I'd wager today that Alexei's option is picked up and he is the starting SS on opening day 2016, barring an injury.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 12:35 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 3m3 minutes ago

Alexei Ramirez is now 15th among 26 qualified shortstops in Defensive Runs Saved with minus-1. Was near bottom a month ago. #WhiteSox

Good for him, but it's time for him to go after this season.