9-11 rememberance thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most particularly to those on Flight 93 who saved hundreds, if not thousands of lives, by giving theirs.

For whatever reason, I still find it weird that 9/11 is treated as any other day now. Not that it shouldn't be, but it's weird to me.

I too am surprised that more isn't made of 9/11. I don't necessarily think that it needs to be a holiday, but you don't hear as much as you'd think. I imagine 9/11/11 will be a big deal, being the 10th anniversary.

My oldest daughter was 2 weeks old when 9/11 happened. Last year we were watching the special on the History Channel, and she kept saying she can't believe that actually happened. I still feel the same way. It was something so horrible and intense that we tend to almost think it was a movie...maybe to deal with the fact that something so terrible can actually happen.

I think some of the reasoning is that we cannot treat it as a "holiday" because it would draw so much attention to the acts of the terrorists. Terrorism is a regular occurrence in many places, and we should count ourselves as pretty lucky that it is relatively infrequent here. It's important to remember what happened, and especially the lives lost, but I'm not sure we should dedicate a great deal of news and programming on it. I don't know, I sort of like the way they handle it.

Either way, it's hard to believe it happend eight years ago. I remember it so vividly.

Edited by Milkman delivers

I overslept that day and awoke to a report on 'XRT that a plane had crashed into one of the towers. I'm sure like a lot of people, I assumed that some small, private plane had hit it, like would later happen with pitcher Corey Lidle. I turned on the tube with my mind predisposed to believing that's what happened, and my first thought upon seeing the damage was a naive, "they can fix it."

A few moments later, I watched the second jet crash into the other tower live on TV. I still can't believe I actually saw that happen and often wish I hadn't.

I'll never forget where I was when that happened.

This will tell you how much things have changed in those 8 years. I was working at an MCI Call center during my freshman year of college (doing night classes, did communicty college before going to NIU).

I called a lady to offer her some bulls***, she goes "haven't you heard, a plan hit the world trade center!" It was pretty early still, so I said "f*** it" and went to the break room in time to see the second plane crash.

Obviously MCI closed that day... wound up quitting a couple weeks later and went on with my life. I just watched the news that whole day and drove out to DeKalb to see my future wife, whom I'd been dating for about only 3 months at the time and took her to dinner to take her mind off it.

Crazy.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 12:49 PM)
I overslept that day and awoke to a report on 'XRT that a plane had crashed into one of the towers. I'm sure like a lot of people, I assumed that some small, private plane had hit it, like would later happen with pitcher Corey Lidle. I turned on the tube with my mind predisposed to believing that's what happened, and my first thought upon seeing the damage was a naive, "they can fix it."

A few moments later, I watched the second jet crash into the other tower live on TV. I still can't believe I actually saw that happen and often wish I hadn't.

My day started off very similar as yours, instead I was listening to the Score, about to get up to get ready for a college class. The Score was talking about the first plane crash, and in my dazed state, I thought it was a smaller plane that hit the top of the tower (or like a lightning rod).

I walked downstairs, and as my parents asked me if i heard what happened, the 2nd plane crashed. Fricken unreal

I was one year and a month removed from going to New York (to visit my aunt) and taking pics of the WTC (2000). Crazy to think that happened a year later. At that time I was a freshman in high school, just barely awake about to leave for school when my parents called me in the living room about it. My aunt was working across the street in NY and still never forgot about people falling out of the building dieing, and the whole ground basically shaking from the impact.

Crazy s***. Needless to say, she lives here in Chicago now. I'll never forget 9-11. Man I can't believe it's gonna be 8 years already.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 09:27 AM)
I too am surprised that more isn't made of 9/11. I don't necessarily think that it needs to be a holiday, but you don't hear as much as you'd think. I imagine 9/11/11 will be a big deal, being the 10th anniversary.

My oldest daughter was 2 weeks old when 9/11 happened. Last year we were watching the special on the History Channel, and she kept saying she can't believe that actually happened. I still feel the same way. It was something so horrible and intense that we tend to almost think it was a movie...maybe to deal with the fact that something so terrible can actually happen.

It's cuz it was 8 years ago now, it's not that people don't care. Ask an 85-year old (one who is still alert and has a sharp memory obviously) where they were and what they were doing on 12/7/41. I bet you they can tell you where they were and what they were doing the same way we can.

I was a freak'n 6th grader and a scared one at that when my social studies teacher warned us of the footage he would present before the classroom. I'm now a sophomore in college and more informed on the happenings of the modern world we live in.

QUOTE (Yoda @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
I was a freak'n 6th grader and a scared one at that when my social studies teacher warned us of the footage he would present before the classroom. I'm now a sophomore in college and more informed on the happenings of the modern world we live in.

Informed of the modern world you are.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 03:26 PM)
My day started off very similar as yours, instead I was listening to the Score, about to get up to get ready for a college class. The Score was talking about the first plane crash, and in my dazed state, I thought it was a smaller plane that hit the top of the tower (or like a lightning rod).

I walked downstairs, and as my parents asked me if i heard what happened, the 2nd plane crashed. Fricken unreal

Interestingly I was doing to the same thing. This was back when B&B were on in the morning. Bernstein broke and said "we are breaking from our normal broadcast as incidents of national importance take precedence." Or something like that. I turned on the Today show and watched. Then went to class where we all stared blankly at the prof before she let us leave after 10 minutes. What a day.

Edited by G&T

I was working 3rd shift and was just getting home (about a block away) when the news of the first plane crash came on the car radio. Like someone else said I just figured it was probably a small plane and nothing more. Terrible but not anything more than that. I got home went immediately to bed and woke up about 11:00am. I turned on the Score and thought something pretty bad must be going on if they're not talking sports. Flipped on the TV and was horrified by it all.

My ex-wife's aunt worked at the World Trade Center and her husband had worked at the Pentagon. As it turned out she had been late for work that morning and was on her way when it all went down. Her husband was in Washington on his way to the Pentagon just to see some old friends (he had recently retired). So as luck would have it, he hadn't got to the Pentagon yet.

I remember too how the White Sox were in New York at the time. When the schedule resumed about a week later it was the Yankees that the Sox were playing but in Chicago. I remember a very somber feeling in the ballpark.

It was my sophomore year & I found out in my 2nd period class when my math teacher was handed a note & you could see all the expression leave his face. It still didn't hit any of us until we actually got to see a visual of it. I say that because I knew a girl who said "Well at least I get to go home early." When it was announced that after-school activities were cancelled.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 07:10 PM)
It was my sophomore year & I found out in my 2nd period class when my math teacher was handed a note & you could see all the expression leave his face. It still didn't hit any of us until we actually got to see a visual of it. I say that because I knew a girl who said "Well at least I get to go home early." When it was announced that after-school activities were cancelled.

maybe i'm a monster or tried to block it out or something, but i was never really heartbroken over it. interested as hell, but never deeply saddened. It was a complete tragedy and i feel bad for everyone that knew someone killed of course.

I still remember it vividly. It was my freshmen year of college. I had gotten up, showered and dressed. I was heading into the bathroom to brush my teeth before my morning class. The service guy who cleaned our floors came in and was making small talk and said something along the lines of, "have you seen the news?"

I had no idea what he was talking about since I was just getting ready. I flipped on the TV and just like everyone else saw the second plane hit. I just had the most disgusting feeling in my stomach seeing that. It was just so shocking.

The only real memory I have similar to that was when we invaded Iraq. They were showing it on the news all day during the Invasion of Baghdad. I just remember coming back from class and hearing my roommate blasting Bombs Over Baghdad on the stereo in our room.

Funny how I can't remember what I did last weekend but I can recall things like that without a moment of hesitation.

Both my parents worked downtown, my mom in the Sears Tower. I think they both left home early that day.

It was just crazy, even in 7th grade I remember people being so scared that there was more to come. Unbelievable stuff, probably the most insane thing that will happen in any of our lifetimes.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 07:18 PM)
maybe i'm a monster or tried to block it out or something, but i was never really heartbroken over it. interested as hell, but never deeply saddened. It was a complete tragedy and i feel bad for everyone that knew someone killed of course.

Well same here, but I think it was still kind of heartless & greedy to say something like that.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 08:18 PM)

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 10:52 PM)
Well same here, but I think it was still kind of heartless & greedy to say something like that.

Out of curiosity, what does "never really heartbroken" mean? I'm not trying to be a dick, I just don't understand.

The 2nd tower went down at 9:28 CST. My alarm was set at 9:30 CST, had a late class that morning so I got extra sleep. I still remember the exact song I woke up to. "Mayonnaise" by the Smashing Pumpkins.

Fool enough to almost be it

Cool enough to not quite see it

Doomed

Pick your pockets full of sorrow

And run away with me tomorrow

June

We'll try and ease the pain

But somehow we'll feel the same

Well, no one knows

Where our secrets go

I send a heart to all my dearies

When your life is so, so dreary

Dream

I'm rumored to the straight and narrow

While the harlots of my perils

Scream

And I fail

But when I can, I will

Try to understand

That when I can, I will

Mother weep the years I'm missing

All our time can't be given

Back

Shut my mouth and strike the demons

That cursed you and your reasons

Out of hand and out of season

Out of love and out of feeling

So bad

When I can, I will

Words defy the plan

When I can, I will

Fool enough to almost be it

And cool enough to not quite see it

And old enough to always feel this

Always old, I'll always feel this

No more promise no more sorrow

No longer will I follow

Can anybody hear me

I just want to be me

When I can, I will

Try to understand

That when I can, I will

I still worry a bit when that song shows up on my Ipod.