High School Football in Illinois

greg775

I like to follow Illinois high school football from afar.

My question to you is: Do you think high schools should run the spread? I see Loyola QB had six interceptions in one half in its opener.

I was watching Brother Rice play Loyola on The Cube and I just don't think high school QBs should be passing so much. Seems like it's not a winning formula in high school. I would think a more old school ball control offense would work better in high school.

As far as the games ...

Are you surprised Rice beat Loyola? I wasn't a big fan of Rice's third-year coach til that big upset victory over Loyola making me think he may have a clue since the defense excelled.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 11:13 PM)

My question to you is: Do you think high schools should run the spread? I see Loyola QB had six interceptions in one half in its opener.

I was watching Brother Rice play Loyola on The Cube and I just don't think high school QBs should be passing so much. Seems like it's not a winning formula in high school. I would think a more old school ball control offense would work better in high school.

As far as the games ...

Are you surprised Rice beat Loyola? I wasn't a big fan of Rice's third-year coach til that big upset victory over Loyola making me think he may have a clue since the defense excelled.

I played for Badke at St Xavier back in the day. A great coach and personality that will get kids to come to Rice. I wouldn't be shocked to see them be a championship contender soon

Plenty of teams are having success with the spread in high school. Why do you think there are so many college QBs coming in so ready at such a young age? You need to have the personnel to run a pass-heavy spread, but plenty of the big schools have that and Illinois isn't even that good when it comes to high school football.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Sep 14, 2014 -> 04:38 AM)
I played for Badke at St Xavier back in the day. A great coach and personality that will get kids to come to Rice. I wouldn't be shocked to see them be a championship contender soon

Cool, Lord Chas. Is he big on defense? Defense wins.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 14, 2014 -> 05:23 AM)
Plenty of teams are having success with the spread in high school. Why do you think there are so many college QBs coming in so ready at such a young age? You need to have the personnel to run a pass-heavy spread, but plenty of the big schools have that and Illinois isn't even that good when it comes to high school football.

Interesting, danman.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 07:18 AM)
I hear New Trier is 3-0. They haven't been very good the past few years.

Saw them play Warren in week 2. Warren is awful on offense but NT has a couple of soph that are good. The QB is really mobile.

Warren should've won but their QB is the worst I've seen at Warren ever.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 01:37 AM)
Where does St. Xavier play its games, Chaz. Is there a football stadium on campus? That'd be two stadiums really close to each other: Rice's and St. X.

Brother Rice and SXU stadiums are very close. SXU is on campus. Greg it is just over that hill that was there when you went to Rice. Both schools have too many activities to share although Rice uses SXU for hoops sometimes.

Badke's only downfall is he wants to train like a CCL Blue team (MC or Rita) and I am not certain the kids that go to Rice are looking for that. A good number of those guys are still looking to be three sport guys.

Badke is doing a nice but it is a tough spot as the CCL Blue is tough.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)
Brother Rice and SXU stadiums are very close. SXU is on campus. Greg it is just over that hill that was there when you went to Rice. Both schools have too many activities to share although Rice uses SXU for hoops sometimes.

Badke's only downfall is he wants to train like a CCL Blue team (MC or Rita) and I am not certain the kids that go to Rice are looking for that. A good number of those guys are still looking to be three sport guys.

Badke is doing a nice but it is a tough spot as the CCL Blue is tough.

Thanks for the update.

I just did a google on Steve Nye and see he was canned at York and is an assistant now at Montini. Seems like a guy with a good attitude from the article I read.

It's funny. I was at the Kansas football game against Central Michigan and Martez Walker scored his first college touchdown and looked damn good in a 14-point loss to horrific Kansas. I thought I recognized the name. After the game I went down there and found him by the bus and indeed he's the Brother Rice grad. We had a nice chat and he said he enjoyed his time at Rice. He said he drove in every day from Orland Park, wherever that is. We talked some Rice Xs and Os but I won't violate his trust. Very nice kid and I think he might be a good one at Central Michigan. I hope so.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 11:13 PM)

As far as the games ...

Yes high schools should run the spread if they have the personnel. I coach at Lockport and we just installed a new offense this year under the new coaching staff.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2014 -> 11:23 PM)
Thanks for the update.

I just did a google on Steve Nye and see he was canned at York and is an assistant now at Montini. Seems like a guy with a good attitude from the article I read.

It's funny. I was at the Kansas football game against Central Michigan and Martez Walker scored his first college touchdown and looked damn good in a 14-point loss to horrific Kansas. I thought I recognized the name. After the game I went down there and found him by the bus and indeed he's the Brother Rice grad. We had a nice chat and he said he enjoyed his time at Rice. He said he drove in every day from Orland Park, wherever that is. We talked some Rice Xs and Os but I won't violate his trust. Very nice kid and I think he might be a good one at Central Michigan. I hope so.

You do not know where Orland Park is?

Google him, there is a pretty good story behind his upbringing he was from Robbins and hada poor family life and then moved in with a family in Alsip. If he makes the NFL they may make a movie about it. Really good kid.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2014 -> 11:11 PM)
Brother Rice is trending upward, baby. Looking like a contender.

They are good. I've always hated Brother Rice. I was on the 2003 state championship team at Lockport and those fans at BR were the worst I ever heard in 4 years of HS football. Old Irish cops dropping f bombs and other expletives at opposing HS players. Real classy bunch back then. Whipping their ass was fun.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 04:00 AM)
We'll see in Week 8 and 9 when they have Providence and Rita back to back. Did beat Loyola though.

Mt Carmel and St Rita are both down this year. St Rita looks to be down for a couple of years.

Providence is pretty damn good should win state at 6A rather easily.

Loyola and Brother Rice are interesting.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)
They are good. I've always hated Brother Rice. I was on the 2003 state championship team at Lockport and those fans at BR were the worst I ever heard in 4 years of HS football. Old Irish cops dropping f bombs and other expletives at opposing HS players. Real classy bunch back then. Whipping their ass was fun.

Are u sure they we're br fans? Disappointing if so

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
Rice's student section might be the best in the state.

It can go both ways. While it is very cool they can get out of hand. They cheered when Marist RB went down this year. They also got in hot water for a buckwheat chant when they were playing thorton years back although the kid did look like buckwheat. A good amount of those kids are from the area so the games are very accessible which is not the case with Rita and MC.

Rita and MC are down this year which is helping Rice and Provi. Loyola is a down a step as well but not as much as Rita and MC.

Rita may be down for a while, their lower levels are not drawing as they had in the past. Same with Marist.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
Are u sure they we're br fans? Disappointing if so

Oh yeah I'm sure. It doesn't mean they are all bad. It was just my experience from 10 years ago. I coach at Lockport now and BR isn't really on my radar. We wouldn't play them until the playoffs and we haven't been good enough lately for that to happen.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 08:54 AM)

Sounds like most Catholic League fans I've come across.