Andrew Freidman leaving Tampa for the Dodgers

LittleHurt05

Bernie Pleskoff ‏@BerniePleskoff 5m5 minutes ago

#Dodgers have added #Rays GM Andrew Friedman as President, Baseball Operations. Ned Colletti stays with organization as advisor.

Bill Shaikin ‏@BillShaikin 5m5 minutes ago

#Dodgers get Friedman out of Tampa Bay after Angels, Astros, Cubs tried and failed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)
Money talks. It makes sense, as Friedman is a guy who is used to squeezing resources, and he is going to be required to do it in LA.

He has to clean up the mess now, but I'm very interested to see him work later with a large payroll. With Tampa every move had to be calculated given their limited resources. When you have money to spend, it's a lot easier to just throw money at a problem, but end up making it worse. Just look at the Yankees.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)
He has to clean up the mess now, but I'm very interested to see him work later with a large payroll. With Tampa every move had to be calculated given their limited resources. When you have money to spend, it's a lot easier to just throw money at a problem, but end up making it worse. Just look at the Yankees.

I was actually trying to remember, the last time a small market exec who had successes with a small resource team, took over a big market team and had success again?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)
I was actually trying to remember, the last time a small market exec who had successes with a small resource team, took over a big market team and had success again?

Pat Gillick comes to mind immediately not because he went from small to big but because he put together great teams everywhere he went (and saw them all burned to the ground shortly after he left).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)

I can't think of many small market GM's who had success and left their teams.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 12:48 PM)
Depending on how you would classify Detroit, Dombrowski?

I don't know that the Marlins were small market in terms of spending during Dombrowski's hayday there. In reality it doesn't happen often. Then again, there isn't exactly an extensive track record of small budget GM's doing really well. The list is extremely short and Friedman / Beane are/were the poster boys. Other small market teams (and I'll say that loosely) who have had extended success are Cardinals / Braves, however, they have had extreme continuity and made sure they spent money to take care of their baseball people. I also am pretty liberal in calling them "small market".

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2231597...us-mlb-marriage

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/ra...winning/2112336

"They're very good," players union chief Michael Wiener said. "Their baseball talent selection has worked well. They've been creative in terms of economics and contracting. … They are a well-run team. They are a smart team. That has to be admired and has to be respected."

Certainly they are intelligent, organized, prepared, creative, thorough and forward-thinking: like their aggressive posture in signing young players to long-term deals to limit costs and gain extra years of control.

They have developed some unique philosophies and priorities: like their offseason approach of considering any move that best improves the team rather than targeting only a specific need.

They devote tremendous time and energy into injury prevention: like their shoulder exercise program for pitchers that not only is individually tailored, but mandatory and monitored.

They have a cutting-edge computer system — named Uncle Charlie — run by a crew of researchers and analysts (some working off-site) who process and analyze massive amounts of data on topics ranging from umpire's strike-calling tendencies to forecasting when pitchers are likely to break down.

Besides all they do, stressing flexibility on the field and off, there is also a guiding principle about what not to do — like not having a set payroll, not paying players for past performance, and only making trades when they get what they want rather than settling for the "best" offer.

"Anytime you have to do something, it's not advantageous," principal owner Stuart Sternberg said. "So we would much prefer to have the option to … make the decision out of desire rather than need."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 10:50 AM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 1h1 hour ago

#Dodgers likely to hire GM under Friedman. Minniti would appear to be possibility. Here again is link: http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/los-ang...-rays-gm-101414

It's interesting how the new thing to do is become team President with a "GM" under you.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 12:00 PM)
Yeah I am not sure how I feel about it.

Whenever the Cubs make a move no one is talking about Jed Hoyer, they're talking about Epstein. I am sure LA will be the same with Friedman. Perhaps Hahn getting credit/flack for his moves is a result of both him and KW being internal?

I think it's because the Sox have some respect or it.

We all know Theo runs the show like how Friedman will. It's very clear that Hahn is running the show, not Kenny, who is acting more as an adviser.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)
I think it's because the Sox have some respect or it.

We all know Theo runs the show like how Friedman will. It's very clear that Hahn is running the show, not Kenny, who is acting more as an adviser.

It looks to me like Kenny is mostly back into his pre-GM work of scouting and recruiting, versus being a more Vice Presidential role of advising on the day to day moves.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 11:22 AM)
I read last night he was fleeing Tampa just in time. The Dodgers supposedly have far better prospects, not even bringing up payroll.

This article was written right before the 2013 season...I'm pretty sure Chris Archer broke the streak of not getting any drafted pitchers to the majors.

The Rays don't do everything well.

For an organization built on scouting and player development, they've had a rough stretch in the draft, the only one of the 30 teams without a player to reach the majors from the past five classes. Their Latin American program, while much improved, has yet to produce a big-league player. Their inability to find productive DHs, or better catchers, is perplexing and vexing.

They do, however, a solid job in identifying what they are looking for — like a player who profiles with a specific skill set or a certain value based on price/contract status point — and take advantage of the narrower scope to increase their focus on legit possibilities. (For example, not wasting time/resources this offseason on free agent Josh Hamilton but doing extensive research on first baseman James Loney.)

They have also made an art of assembling a roster of players with positional flexibility, maximizing their roster as if they have an extra couple of guys.

But if there is an overriding priority — one thing etched in the brains of every scout, coach, computer nerd and team exec — and primary reason for their success, it is stockpiling starting pitching.

They quickly, and correctly, identified how overpriced that market is, and they have found a way to not only develop enough to fill their own rotation (Roberto Hernandez on Thursday will be the first free-agent starter of the Friedman regime) but create a surplus to use as commodity in trade. The pitchers they've dealt in the past five years would be a pretty dominant (and expensive) rotation: Edwin Jackson, Jason Hammel, Kazmir, Garza and now Shields.

"They do the one thing that every teams needs to contend, and that's develop starting pitching," said Red Sox manager John Farrell, who knows, having previously been Toronto's manager and Boston's pitching coach. "You can look at the last four to six years and say they set the bar in drafting and developing starting pitching. You get the sense that there is clear alignment through their scouting and player development in how that assembly line works, from finding it to developing it to transitioning it to the big leagues.

"They've pitched so … consistently that it keeps them in games. They can shed big-name players but they're going to find a way to find athletic guys they can mix and match, and that's the style of game they play. It's very clear from across the field, you know what kind of game you're going to play against Tampa."

Not to mention Matt Moore's coming off an unexpected Tommy John, Longoria his career worst season, Price traded and even Ben Zobrist seems to be on the decline a bit.

Edited by caulfield12