8/9

BaconOnAStick

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 12:35 PM)
also A.J Puckett's WS debut

Fulmer should be converted to being a reliever sooner rather than later. Barring a massive turnaround I do not see the future rotation having room for him.

He should focus on becoming a quality reliever, which is still a very valuable player.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)
Fulmer should be converted to being a reliever sooner rather than later. Barring a massive turnaround I do not see the future rotation having room for him.

He should focus on becoming a quality reliever, which is still a very valuable player.

I still think they give him until Mid-2018 or maybe all 2018 to work out as a starter. Not saying I fully agree but I can't see them basically giving him up yet especially with how they rushed him.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)

There is no reason as of yet to convert him. This is his first full season as a minor league starting pitcher. Realistically he shouldn't even be at AAA yet. He can be made a reliever at any time. He can't be made a starter at any time. Let him start, give him his reps, let him work on mechanics, release point, and mental approach.

I've always been of the mindset that Fulmer was just rushed through the system. I believe they were doing that when they thought they had a window to compete, and wanted to be apart of it. None the less, I think that he should keep getting starts at the Triple-A level. Worst case scenario to me, is that he is a solid reliever for the White Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 01:47 PM)
There is no reason as of yet to convert him. This is his first full season as a minor league starting pitcher. Realistically he shouldn't even be at AAA yet. He can be made a reliever at any time. He can't be made a starter at any time. Let him start, give him his reps, let him work on mechanics, release point, and mental approach.

This. No reason to give up yet.

I don't see how pitching out of the pen is going to help Fulmer's problems. It would be one thing if he was having control problems but still missing bats, but that's just not the case. His K/BB ratio is comically bad and wasn't much better when he was 22 in AA last year. Bad control and inability to miss bats just isn't a good combo.

Maybe I'm biased because I didn't like the pick form day 1, but I have very little hope for Fulmer ever being a quality pitcher in any role. Hopefully he can prove me wrong though.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 06:20 PM)
I don't see how pitching out of the pen is going to help Fulmer's problems. It would be one thing if he was having control problems but still missing bats, but that's just not the case. His K/BB ratio is comically bad and wasn't much better when he was 22 in AA last year. Bad control and inability to miss bats just isn't a good combo.

Maybe I'm biased because I didn't like the pick form day 1, but I have very little hope for Fulmer ever being a quality pitcher in any role. Hopefully he can prove me wrong though.

They f***ed up the pick the minute they let any "he can help us this year" thinking enter the equation. Thankfully that thinking has gone out the window.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Aug 10, 2017 -> 12:20 AM)

I'm with you here, if he wasn't a high pick, he would be an afterthought in the organization.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 10, 2017 -> 07:37 AM)
Isn't he kinda old? Was taking in DSL but I thought he was like 23

He's 20 but turns 21 in October. If they push him to Kannapolis next year, he'd be age appropriate. And I'm not sure there is anyone ahead of him on the 2B depth chart. I honestly don't know much about him, but assuming he has some tools I'd give him a shot based on his results so far. The plate discipline is pretty impressive for a young LatAm prospect in our system.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 01:47 PM)

Agree completely with this. He just needs to rebound and I think he can. He can come out of the pen worst case scenario. I feel like due to his struggles and the load of new prospects, he's forgotten about. Sox rushed him and he clearly wasn't ready last season. I do think he can be nasty out of the pen and I envision him a late inning guy maybe setting up Burdi in a couple years.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 10, 2017 -> 07:53 PM)
Agree completely with this. He just needs to rebound and I think he can. He can come out of the pen worst case scenario. I feel like due to his struggles and the load of new prospects, he's forgotten about. Sox rushed him and he clearly wasn't ready last season. I do think he can be nasty out of the pen and I envision him a late inning guy maybe setting up Burdi in a couple years.

I agree Fulmer was rushed, but I also feel that other pitching prospects in the system have overtaken him and are more likely to pan out as starting pitchers at this point (Giolito, Lopez, Hansen, Dunning, Adams, Guerrero, Stephens).