White Sox Farm System Ranked 2nd in MLB

GGajewski18

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 02:16 PM)
I'm a bit surprised its this high. I love our star power now but to me it doesn't have depth of yankees or padres, where 30 deep has players that could be MLBers.

Yeah that seems a bit high right now. Guy in an mlbtr chat the other day said they could have the best farm system after the next draft.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
If they trade literally all of them, yeah, that seems likely. But I doubt they move every single one of them this offseason.

My guess is Frazier, Q and Robertson go. Jones, Jennings and Melky by the deadline.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 12:50 PM)
OK, in that case, those two trades could surely make for a super-large jump.

But when it comes to overall farm systems, top 10 is going to be a heavy component of the overall rankings (including how elite your top guys are). 2 might be high, but clearly a top 5, and I'd be dissapointed if we were anything but #1/#2 after a Q deal.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 04:12 PM)
I'll be VERY disappointed if we don't have THE best farm in baseball, after getting 5-6more Top 100 talents and a few more lottery tickets.

They measure the farm by going at least 20 deep.

The Sox drafting has been consistently below par for years, although some argue it's been better recently and perhaps it has been (last year's draft may turn out a lot better than usual, but the drafting still displayed a lot of Hahn/Williams ongoing bad habits).

They also short-shrift the international market and were more than willing to throw in their top international prospect when the Padres were just looking to salary dump James Shields.

That kind of nonsense has to be corrected or the Sox will rebuild for 10 years.

But or now, a top 8 or so system I'd say and the top 10 is in the top 3 or 4.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 04:27 PM)
If you go purely off of MLB Pipeline's top 100 prospects, Yankees have six players and White Sox have six players.

Yankees: #15, #17, #18, #22, #51, and #78.

White Sox: #1, #3, #30, #38, #58, and #80.

Yankees system is insanely deep due to int'l spending. There's a reason they had 5 rule 5 picks.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 04:23 PM)
They measure the farm by going at least 20 deep.

The Sox drafting has been consistently below par for years, although some argue it's been better recently and perhaps it has been (last year's draft may turn out a lot better than usual, but the drafting still displayed a lot of Hahn/Williams ongoing bad habits).

They also short-shrift the international market and were more than willing to throw in their top international prospect when the Padres were just looking to salary dump James Shields.

That kind of nonsense has to be corrected or the Sox will rebuild for 10 years.

But or now, a top 8 or so system I'd say and the top 10 is in the top 3 or 4.

If we gut out the big league club (Q, Frazier, Abreu, Jones, Robertson, Melky), we'd have 10-11 guys in the Top 100, with 2 of the likely Top 5 (and Fulmer, Adams, and Burdi are firmly in the 100-150 range). While Frazier, Robertson and Melky will not likely to haul in any Top 100 prospects, our return would likely be a number of quality prospects from other org's top 10-20 list. When the dusts settles, the homegrown guys like Hawkins, May, Barnum, and Adolfo would not even crack our Top 30. Seriously, how many far systems in the past 10 years carry that kind of top end talent and depth?

That's why if we don't end up with the best farm after trading all of those guys, I might just stop following this team.

I think a lot of this is based on the fact that MLB Pipeline thinks Moncada and Gio are top 3 prospects. I would bet Fangraphs, BA, BP would all have Moncada somewhere closer to 10, and Gio closer to 20-25.

I really dont undestand why Moncada would be losing stock because of 19 AB's. Giolito sure, but I dont think Moncada falls off much if at all.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 04:59 PM)
I really dont undestand why Moncada would be losing stock because of 19 AB's. Giolito sure, but I dont think Moncada falls off much if at all.

Because of his high K-rates and tools over results.

I did hear one scout/analyst who said Moncada has a similar swing to Bryant, and Bryant was a high strikeout rate guy in the minors (28.6% in AAA) and even his rookie season in the majors (30.6%), but lowered it to a ton for his MVP season (22%). Said if Moncada can do that, then he's pretty much a 5 plus-tool guy.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 02:16 PM)
I'm a bit surprised its this high. I love our star power now but to me it doesn't have depth of yankees or padres, where 30 deep has players that could be MLBers.

I was thinking 8 to 10 range is more realistic.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 04:50 PM)
I think a lot of this is based on the fact that MLB Pipeline thinks Moncada and Gio are top 3 prospects. I would bet Fangraphs, BA, BP would all have Moncada somewhere closer to 10, and Gio closer to 20-25.

Why in the world would Moncada drop to #10?

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 05:02 PM)
Because of his high K-rates and tools over results.

I did hear one scout/analyst who said Moncada has a similar swing to Bryant, and Bryant was a high strikeout rate guy in the minors (28.6% in AAA) and even his rookie season in the majors (30.6%), but lowered it to a ton for his MVP season (22%). Said if Moncada can do that, then he's pretty much a 5 plus-tool guy.

Moncada put up wRC+ in the 150s range at both A+ & AA. That is the definition of results. If people want to overreact to a handful of major league at-bats (when he had no business being up in the first place) more power to them.