Stanton deal could reach 13 years/ $325 to $350 million

southsider2k5

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 05:05 PM)
LOL dumbest contract ever. I thought MLB teams learned after all these years of these inflated outrageous contracts blowing up in their face.

well he will be 25 on opening day and he should have atleast 10 prime years barring injury, which will have him at just 34 years old after 10 years into this contract.

the Pujols contract is much,much worse.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 04:05 PM)
LOL dumbest contract ever. I thought MLB teams learned after all these years of these inflated outrageous contracts blowing up in their face.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 15, 2014 -> 07:02 AM)
I wouldn't sign '01-'04 Bonds to that contract. Baseball is so dumb.

Agreed with both of you. The Marlins are banking on Stanton playing at a high level well into his thirties, which is certainly possible, but if his performance falls off or he becomes injury prone he will easily have the worst contract in baseball, ever. If Stanton ever becomes riddled with injury or his performance regresses, he can choose not to opt out and stay under the contract while not even allowing the Marlins to trade him due to the NTC. To boot, the Marlins are an NL team so if Stanton does develope injury problems at some point they don't have the DH spot to utilize in an effort to keep him off the field yet his bat in the lineup.

The Marlon's are potentially burying their self alive with such a long and expensive contract.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 15, 2014 -> 01:49 PM)
It's worth bearing in mind that 13 years from now, $30 million per year is going to be the number that guys like Nick Swisher get

Depending on the NTC and him agreeing, he'll still be completely tradeable with this contract. Sure, it rules out teams like the Padres and so on, but >1/3 of the league would still give up something useful to take that contract on.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 15, 2014 -> 01:43 PM)
The length of the deal is risky of course, but I don't hate it. He's 25, not 31, you are getting his prime years.

You are pretty much getting all his years. I don't think its as horrible as some do and I bet its a trade-able asset at some point.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 15, 2014 -> 12:49 PM)
It's worth bearing in mind that 13 years from now, $30 million per year is going to be the number that guys like Nick Swisher get

Maybe, but the Cubs aren't cashing in on a TV contract, and that $2 million a game ship may have sailed.

Of course 13 years from now, they will probably be making money off things we can't even think of now.

QUOTE (MAX @ Nov 15, 2014 -> 02:57 PM)
You are pretty much getting all his years. I don't think its as horrible as some do and I bet its a trade-able asset at some point.

Its only a tradeable asset if 1- the player agrees to be traded 2- another team is willing to take on the salary. Just look at the Phillies and Jimmy Rollins, the Phillies would like the salary relief and Rollins doesn't want to leave.

If Stanton's production ever regresses like Hamilton/ Texeira/ARod and others; Stanton's salary, contract length, poor production and no trade clause all work against the idea of Stanton being tradeable by the Marlins. If Stanton can continue to produce then its great value but if not, the Marlins have dug their own grave.

Stanton is an amazing talent, but I'm glad its not the Sox that are involved with this type of contract.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 15, 2014 -> 12:49 PM)

Yeah, I was trying to guess in my mind what the Mike Stanton of 2027 would be getting as a free agent $40 million? $50 million?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 10:11 AM)
Yeah, I was trying to guess in my mind what the Mike Stanton of 2027 would be getting as a free agent $40 million? $50 million?

A-Rod's $25 mill deal was about 10 years ago right? Not a ton has changed since then