Cards swap Miller for Heyward

Bob Sacamano

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 11:18 AM)
If I'm Heyward, I sign an extension tomorrow. That team consistently competes in the playoffs and young enough where they will for a while.

Ya but it's his first chance at hitting the open market and he has a chance to make A LOT of money so we'll see.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 11:21 AM)
Ya but it's his first chance at hitting the open market and he has a chance to make A LOT of money so we'll see.

Exactly. I think money will take precedence over the team's chances to win over the next few years. If they offer him a market deal, he will sign with them.

Even though he's right handed, I would love to get Piscotty. Not sure what the Cards would want in return or if the Sox have what the Cards would want. Cards are so loaded with young talent, I don't see how the Sox could swing a trade with them unless Q's name became involved.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
They basically HAVE to move an OF now.

I don't think they have to...

They have Holiday (no one's going to take him with his contract at this point in his career), Jay, Heyward, and Bourjos. And let's face it, Bourjos is a 4th OFer at this point.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)
Miller was a top 10 prospect no so long ago and still has done a decent job on the major league level and is controlled for several more years. I don't understand why some think this is a steal. The Braves usually don't make really bad trades.

Exactly. If the Braves think they can get Miller to be that front of the rotation guy most envisioned him as, then it turns into a pretty good deal for them, especially when you factor in the finances of it. Braves are definitely taking the bigger gamble though. From a risk perspective, the bulk of the risk would appear to be on the Braves vs. St. Louis.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 11:44 AM)
Even though he's right handed, I would love to get Piscotty. Not sure what the Cards would want in return or if the Sox have what the Cards would want. Cards are so loaded with young talent, I don't see how the Sox could swing a trade with them unless Q's name became involved.

Piscotty's a guy I have wanted all along as well. .288/.355/.406 last year in AAA. Not a ton of power (only 9 HRs), but a good overall hitter who was very young for his level (age 23). Q's out of the question, but something a notch down from that would interest me.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 12:47 PM)
Miller was a top 10 prospect no so long ago and still has done a decent job on the major league level and is controlled for several more years. I don't understand why some think this is a steal. The Braves usually don't make really bad trades.

Miller was showing signs of a collapse in his stuff. I think I saw somewhere that his swinging strike rate HALVED over the course of one year.

So I think that's it. Otherwise, 5 years of control for one year of Heyward would be hard to stomach.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 06:01 PM)
The Cardinals have depth everywhere. They're the most insulated team in baseball.

Projected lineup of: Carpenter, Heyward, Holiday, Adams, Peralta, Molina, Jay, Wong

Rotation: Wainwright, Lynn, Lackey, Wacha, Gonzales/Garcia/Martinez

Bullpen: Rosenthal, Walden, Maness

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 12:04 PM)
Piscotty's a guy I have wanted all along as well. .288/.355/.406 last year in AAA. Not a ton of power (only 9 HRs), but a good overall hitter who was very young for his level (age 23). Q's out of the question, but something a notch down from that would interest me.

But would it interest the Cards? What do the Sox have to offer that the Cards don't already have? I agree with Q being out of the question, I just don't see the Cards being interested in anything the Sox have outside of Q. I leave Sale and Abreu out for obvious reasons. ;)

The Cards are so deep, the Sox could make an offer and the Cards could match or beat the return with what they already have. I really respect the hell out of the Cards for their scouting, drafting and player development abilities.

Time for Hahn to call St. Louis and scoop up Peter Bourjos. Almost got him a year ago and an ideal 4th outfielder who (when healthy) is better than Shuck and miles better than Danks. Underrated pop in bat plus speed and plus defense - just needs to stay healthy (easier said than done for him). Nice low cost/low risk pick up that should be right in Hahn's wheelhouse.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 12:17 PM)
But would it interest the Cards? What do the Sox have to offer that the Cards don't already have? I agree with Q being out of the question, I just don't see the Cards being interested in anything the Sox have outside of Q. I leave Sale and Abreu out for obvious reasons. ;)

The Cards are so deep, the Sox could make an offer and the Cards could match or beat the return with what they already have. I really respect the hell out of the Cards for their scouting, drafting and player development abilities.

It would have to be somewhat-random minor leaguers, I guess. They are pretty stacked everywhere. Their infield is crowded as well, so Semien/Johnson/Sanchez probably wouldn't interest them. Hahn may have to get creative, and persuasive!

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)
It would have to be somewhat-random minor leaguers, I guess. They are pretty stacked everywhere. Their infield is crowded as well, so Semien/Johnson/Sanchez probably wouldn't interest them. Hahn may have to get creative, and persuasive!

That's why I mentioned Q. Q for Piscotty and a few of the Cards young starters the Cards don't have room for makes more sense than say for example, Bassitt for Piscotty. What do the Cards need with Bassitt? To us Bassitt is a good young talent to have but to the Cards, not so much.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating trading Q and the above was just thrown out there as an example but I just don't see how the Sox could get a young talent like Piscotty from the Cards. Hopefully I'm under estimating Hahn's creativeness.

A trade for Piscotty and the signing of Melky would make the Sox outfield look so much better defensively and offensively. I know, I'm dreaming.