295 dead aboard Malaysian Airlines shot down over Ukraine.

Buehrle>Wood

Reuters Top News @Reuters

1m

#BREAKING: Malaysian plane was brought down by a ground-to-air missile: Interior Ministry adviser, quoted by Interfax

2m

#BREAKING: Ukrainian Interior Ministry adviser says 280 passengers, 15 crew dead in Malaysian airliner crash: Interfax

Very strange story. Like the two top stories of the year decided to marry. Nobody needs innocents involved like this. Going to be a political disaster one way or the other.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the heck. Total disaster and extremely scary situation. I don't know that I can remember a time in my lifetime, other then some of the conspiracy theories regarding some various plane crashes, that a large passenger plan was shot down by a military (non terrorist attack).

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 10:40 AM)

1m

#BREAKING: Malaysian plane was brought down by a ground-to-air missile: Interior Ministry adviser, quoted by Interfax

2m

#BREAKING: Ukrainian Interior Ministry adviser says 280 passengers, 15 crew dead in Malaysian airliner crash: Interfax

Very strange story. Like the two top stories of the year decided to marry. Nobody needs innocents involved like this. Going to be a political disaster one way or the other.

Sad and strange indeed.

Looks like CNN's got a new Malaysian Airline story to cover.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 08:58 AM)
Assuming the plane was at cruising altitude, this wasn't just some foot soldier with a small piece of weaponry. This had to be a serious type of military missile owned by the government. My bet is that was just a major, major f***-up.

That is my presumption as well. I presume this was a military strike, likely accidental, but still completely inexcusable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KAL_007

The Russians killed 269 on a Korean Airlines flight in 1983 by shooting it down (on that occasion, an air to air missile as the plane was misidentified as being American and breaching their airspace). They also shot down a KAL flight in 1978, but there were 107 survivors.

Edited by caulfield12

Latest "reports" are that Russian separatists were bragging about shooting down a Ukrainian military cargo plane.

Sky news reporting that it had gone as far as the Russian news agency posting a story about it on YouTube which was taken down as soon as they figured out it was a commercial plane.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KAL_007

The Russians killed 269 on a Korean Airlines flight in 1983 by shooting it down (on that occasion, an air to air missile as the plane was misidentified as being American and breaching their airspace). They also shot down a KAL flight in 1978, but there were 107 survivors.

Also the US accidentally shot down an Iranian Airlines plane in the Gulf, I want to say in the 80's maybe?