Jose Abreu with 1st Sox cycle in 17 years

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Cycles are more rare than no hitters so tonight's cycle by Jose Abreu had to be commemorated. It's the 1st Sox cycle since Jose Valentin hit his in 2000. Perhaps more Jose's equal more cycles.

Meanwhile the Sox showed no compassion for former team mate Jeff Samardzija nor did they care about the large contingent of his family there to watch him.

Samardzija managed to last 5.2 innings but he gave up 8 hits , 4 of which were HR's. He allowed 6 Earned runs.

The Giants , especially their bullpen eerily resembled the Sox on their worst days.

This was not one of those days for the Sox offense. They belted out 18 hits. They smashed 6 HR's, 3 triples and 1 double.

The 1st 5 hitters in the lineup all had HR's (Sanchez, Moncada, Abreu, Delmonico and Avi Garcia.)

Tim Anderson also had a chance for the cycle only needing a double in his last AB but he K'd on 3 pitches. Final score 13-1

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the fine starting pitching of James Shields .

So, again congrats to Jose Abreu on accomplishing a rare feat of hitting prowess.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if it was just for one game, very refreshing to see. Moncada hit a homerun right handed!! And it wasn't a cheapy either. Anderson still showed signs of not being able to lay off sliders away but he did make real solid contact tonight for base hits. Yolmer is a keeper, he needs to be the starting 3B next year. Not only does he hit but he can do it from both sides and play tremendous defense. He has earned it. Shields has actually pitched decent in the last month or so. Never thought I would see that. Most of all, I loved seeing Jose smile with the team. The first couple years you just didn't see him smile, but this year, even though this has been their worst year record wise, he's been joyful. He's turning into a leader, which is what this club needs. I highly doubt he is anywhere else when this team starts to win in the 2020s.

QUOTE (Tony @ Sep 10, 2017 -> 04:41 AM)
It's not about advanced stats, it's about understanding teams exisit outside of Chicago and Kansas City.

People are so jaded with advanced stats they can't even congratulate Jose for excellence in one of the most pathetic seasons imaginable. I applaud him unconditionally.

QUOTE (Tony @ Sep 10, 2017 -> 04:41 AM)
It's not about advanced stats, it's about understanding teams exist outside of Chicago and Kansas City.

If you guys think Jose Abreu isn't a good ballplayer, I can't help you.

I'd love to see you do a study of all the players on last year's Cub team. And tell me who you identify as a great ballplayer advanced stat wise. Or this year's Dodgers. Who can survive the advanced stat scruity nowadays? two or three players in each league?

I'll take Avi's season and Abreu's season anyday. s*** even Davidson's season. Give him another 100 at bats or more and you've really got some production.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 10, 2017 -> 01:38 AM)
People are so jaded with advanced stats they can't even congratulate Jose for excellence in one of the most pathetic seasons imaginable. I applaud him unconditionally.

Greg, I love Jose. He's my favorite Sox player (tied with Q) since Konerko/Buerhle.

He's just not a STAR that he was his rookie year. Part of that is the team he's on, part of it is his defense.

He's also just an incredibly polite and soft spoken man. Jose is a great player, just not the MVP bat we had hoped. And that's ok, because he could still have a (shorter) Paulie-esque career and I'll take that.

QUOTE (Tony @ Sep 10, 2017 -> 09:40 AM)
I'll actually be a little disappointed if Abreu is traded in the offseason. I still don't think he brings back an impressive package, and has more value to the White Sox than any other team.

Agreed. With what players in his genre are going for on the market, I'd rather keep him risking getting nothing for him.

QUOTE (Tony @ Sep 10, 2017 -> 10:40 AM)
I'll actually be a little disappointed if Abreu is traded in the offseason. I still don't think he brings back an impressive package, and has more value to the White Sox than any other team.

I wanna see him retire with the team.

As a DH

QUOTE (Quin @ Sep 10, 2017 -> 02:32 PM)
Greg, I love Jose. He's my favorite Sox player (tied with Q) since Konerko/Buerhle.

He's just not a STAR that he was his rookie year. Part of that is the team he's on, part of it is his defense.

He's also just an incredibly polite and soft spoken man. Jose is a great player, just not the MVP bat we had hoped. And that's ok, because he could still have a (shorter) Paulie-esque career and I'll take that.

Good post. Glad to read the love for Jose.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 10, 2017 -> 01:36 AM)
If you guys think Jose Abreu isn't a good ballplayer, I can't help you.

I'd love to see you do a study of all the players on last year's Cub team. And tell me who you identify as a great ballplayer advanced stat wise. Or this year's Dodgers. Who can survive the advanced stat scruity nowadays? two or three players in each league?

I'll take Avi's season and Abreu's season anyday. s*** even Davidson's season. Give him another 100 at bats or more and you've really got some production.

The Cubs had one of the greatest defensive team in history, every single one of their players probably passed the advanced stats test.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 01:33 AM)
The Cubs had one of the greatest defensive team in history, every single one of their players probably passed the advanced stats test.

If Jose isn't deemed a good ballplayer by any stats, I give up.

The guy has 30 homers and 90 ribbies and we have a few weeks to go. I'm sorry ... that ain't chopped liver.

LOL.

All I know is I now find out he hit TWO home runs today and has 31 and 90 RBIs. I am AMAZED at the lack of praise on here about Jose. You aren't gonna be thrilled if Eloy has a 31 homer season with 90 ribbies on Sept. 10 some season??

And I watched Fulmer's highlights today. Lot of scorn on this board for Fulmer who had nasty stuff. My eyes can tell me that. Man I'm glad I'm not a stat geek. My eyes tell me Jose is special and I wouldn't count Fulmer out yet. He had some pop today and breaking stuff too.

The world would be nicer if fans were all like el Rockin. Drives me crazy the lack of respect for Jose this season on this board.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 10, 2017 -> 09:37 PM)
LOL.

All I know is I now find out he hit TWO home runs today and has 31 and 90 RBIs. I am AMAZED at the lack of praise on here about Jose. You aren't gonna be thrilled if Eloy has a 31 homer season with 90 ribbies on Sept. 10 some season??

And I watched Fulmer's highlights today. Lot of scorn on this board for Fulmer who had nasty stuff. My eyes can tell me that. Man I'm glad I'm not a stat geek. My eyes tell me Jose is special and I wouldn't count Fulmer out yet. He had some pop today and breaking stuff too.

The world would be nicer if fans were all like el Rockin. Drives me crazy the lack of respect for Jose this season on this board.

No it wouldn't.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 10, 2017 -> 07:37 PM)
LOL.

There's tons of love for Jose from this board. I see it all the time and you'd have to be blind not to see it. ron883 has been scorned for his bad opinions on Jose. The board thinks he el loco. How soon we forget. Better work on some things to sharpen the old coocnut.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 09:47 AM)
Yeah, really the only critical talk is around his defense. Most on this board are Abreu fans.

You can't help but love his bat, except for maybe April. But he does nothing but hit the rest of the year. The defense? Well let me just note for the record that we traded/drafted for a decent amount of guys who play 1B...

So I was trying to figure out all of our .300/30/100 players since Magglio used to do it on the regular and landed back up on 2006 stats.

2005 was amazing throughout, but damn if I wouldn't relive the first half of 2006 over and over again if we are picking regular season halfs as a thing. And yeah, first half 2005 and 2000 was also great.

But nothing comes close to the feeling of being down 8-0 to the astros or whomever and just knowing we'd come back, and Tadahito Iguchi just decides to singlehandedly do it (we lost).

Jose is incredible but also makes me realize how nutso offense was when I was younger.