Gonzalez

Jordan4life_2003

rotoworld.com

Juan Gonzalez - OF - Kansas City Royals  Jan 6

Royals signed outfielder Juan Gonzalez, who had been with the Rangers, to a one-year, $4.5 million contract with a mutual option for 2005.

The mutual option is worth $7 million. If the Royals decline the option, Gonzalez would receive a $500,000 buyout. In addition, he can earn $2 million in performance bonuses this year and $1.5 million in 2005. Gonzalez is expected to play right field for the Royals. He'd have a better chance of staying healthy as a DH, but Mike Sweeney is expected to occupy that role. Gonzalez could have a 120-RBI season and be worth close to $30, but because of the injury possibility, it's not a good idea to go higher than $22-$23 to get him. 

once again the Royals have made themselves better and the odds on favorite to win the division. This is a shame, the whitesox have done nothing to improve this club in an easy division. Add in the loss of Alomar for 1 million and this off season is by far the worst I have seen in many years. Willie Harris is a piece of crap, we have huge holes in pitching, we have a catcher that cannot hit a curve ball, an unproven center fielder, a C rated minor league org, a potential sophmore jinx with Crede, the slowest first baseman in the history of baseball, no bench, a rookie manager, increase prices for tickets. We gone.

I know that Juan Gone can be a productive hiiter, but nhe by himslef will not win the division for KC. Our offense is still better and I think out core starting pitching is better. Juan Gonzalez has not made the difference for a number of teams and is injured quite often. Not saying he isn't good or anything just that he may not be the answer everyone thinks he is.

once again the Royals have made themselves better and the odds on favorite to win the division. This is a shame, the whitesox have done nothing to improve this club in an easy division. Add in the loss of Alomar for 1 million and this off season is by far the worst I have seen in many years. Willie Harris is a piece of crap, we have huge holes in pitching, we have a catcher that cannot hit a curve ball, an unproven center fielder, a C rated minor league org, a potential sophmore jinx with Crede, the slowest first baseman in the history of baseball, no bench, a rookie manager, increase prices for tickets. We gone.

Not that I disagree or anything but...

HELLO SUNSHINE! :bang

The board is for posts good or bad. Its not to blow sunshine up the whitesox asses. The facts remain the sox have done nothing to improve, the Royals have plain and simple. As far as our offense being better, I completely disagree. Sweeney, Gonzo, Beltran, randa,berroa, harvey, rondel white is a great start, they have a better manager, better bench and better relief pitching. they are better.

It's true that the Royals have improved their club.

Their pitching is still suspect, in my opinion.

They're flawed, as are all the teams in the Comedy Central.

The Sox have as good a shot at the division as things stand as anyone else, I believe.

I'm really trying not to let the frustration of a lost opportunity this offseason cloud the fact that they're still a pretty talented offensive club with a few very good pitchers.

Like ANY other team in the division, except maybe the Tigers, if they start off hot and things fall their way, the division can be had.

The board is for posts good or bad. Its not to blow sunshine up the whitesox asses. The facts remain the sox have done nothing to improve, the Royals have plain and simple. As far as our offense being better, I completely disagree. Sweeney, Gonzo, Beltran, randa,berroa, harvey, rondel white is a great start, they have a better manager, better bench and better relief pitching. they are better.

I wasn't trying to criticize, it's just when you read your original post if I were in a surly mood it would have not been pleasant, that's all.

I think you're kinda on the right track (certainly is too bad that nothing's transpired so far to make us a lot better), but let's hope it doesn't turn out as bad as it could.

The saddest part is there's a ton of sentiment like this concerning the Sox, and it just really sucks because it certainly doesn't have to be this way.

I wasn't trying to criticize, it's just when you read your original post if I were in a surly mood it would have not been pleasant, that's all. 

I think you're kinda on the right track (certainly is too bad that nothing's transpired so far to make us a lot better), but let's hope it doesn't turn out as bad as it could. 

The saddest part is there's a ton of sentiment like this concerning the Sox, and it just really sucks because it certainly doesn't have to be this way.

and you just hit it on the head, it doesn't have to be this way. the division is there for the taking, we are not going and getting it. its a shame, and as fans we need to voice our opinions, we are not robots like the Cub fans, we care alot about our team, we defend it, but between ourselves and management I remain highly critical of what in the hell the whitesox are doing.

It's true that the Royals have improved their club.

Their pitching is still suspect, in my opinion.

They're flawed, as are all the teams in the Comedy Central.

The Sox have as good a shot at the division as things stand as anyone else, I believe.

I'm really trying not to let the frustration of a lost opportunity this offseason cloud the fact that they're still a pretty talented offensive club with a few very good pitchers.

Like ANY other team in the division, except maybe the Tigers, if they start off hot and things fall their way, the division can be had.

Very well said.

The Royals pitching is far more than suspect, as is their bullpen. On the other hand, if the pitchers pitch to their potential, then the Sox are in trouble.

Sweeney, Gonzo, Beltran, randa,berroa, harvey, rondel white is a great start, they have a better manager, better bench and better relief pitching.

Of the players you named Sweeney and Gonzalez both have injury problems year after year and odds are that at least one of them will not play in 120 games. Rnada is no better than Crede and also had injury problems last year. Rondell White signed with the Tigers in mid-December. Berroa was good last year, I'll concede that. Harvey had worse numbers than Konerko in about the same number of at-bats. The Royals bullpoen looks like it will be very good, but they do not have an All-Star caliber starter to anchor the rotation (although Runelvys Hernandez may step up) and all their starters are average at best. As for praising their manager because of one great season let me remind you that JM won the Manager of the Year award in 2000....

Stop building them up like they're unbeatable because they're clearly not. I for one will try to remain optomistic until the season starts and we see how these teams actually do.

Since when are the Indians not part of the AL Central?  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

Now thats a team that will be dangerous too. I truely think that next year will be their year. And how come noone's mention the twins yet? :huh: They are still as dangerous as they come (even with the departures of alot of FA's they can surprise people.) And Quickman since when is the Royals manager better than our manager? they are both practically the same as far as enthusiastic. Give ozzie a chance this year, then we'll see who's better. Yes the board is for posts good and bad, but I should think it's here to be thinking positive about our team. I would rather not let KW make a move that will hurt our team. He has actually learned that from the last 3 seasons(which he's made at least 1 bad move Ritchie, Wells, even though we only gave up siroka (sp?),Koch=if cotts dosent produce etc...) I still believe KW will improve our team somehow before spring training. You just gotta be patient. :usa :bringit

Now thats a team that will be dangerous too. I truely think that next year will be their year. And how come noone's mention the twins yet? :huh:  They are still as dangerous as they come (even with the departures of alot of FA's they can surprise people.) And Quickman since when is the Royals manager better than our manager? they are both practically the same as far as enthusiastic. Give ozzie a chance this year, then we'll see who's better. Yes the board is for posts good and bad, but I should think it's here to be thinking positive about our team. I would rather not let KW make a move that will hurt our team. He has actually learned that from the last 3 seasons(which he's made at least 1 bad move Ritchie, Wells, even though we only gave up siroka (sp?),Koch=if cotts dosent produce etc...) I still believe KW will improve our team somehow before spring training. You just gotta be patient. :usa  :bringit

In this case, KW has made some friends and made some enemies...in some cases, the friends and enemies he's made have been the same people....by not making any moves. You are right in that he really hasn't made a stupid move yet. Uribe is a low-risk, high reward type of player, Jose Santiago the same, Cliff Politte(if that is ever finished or done) is the same. The moves that are not high-risk, high-reward are the ones he's had trouble with, because they've had little reward(with his best being Colon).

After rambling for a little bit there, he's made some enemies in not getting anything done because this has been one of the best FA years in recent times and he's signed one FA(Santiago). What he could have done is get a deal done where Konerko/Maggs/Lee is dealt and he gets the right value in return. However, IMO, he has overvalued our players up to this point. He's asked for Carlos Lee type value for Paul Konerko, Magglio Ordonez type value for Carlos Lee, and Nomar Garciaparra type value for Magglio Ordonez. Konerko is not worth Perez and Mota/Jackson/Miller, Lee is not worth Perez, Mota, and Jackson/Miller, and Maggs is not worth Perez, Mota, Jackson, and Miller. I think that's probably what he was trying to get for each, but that's no guarantee....I could be wrong. Anyways, we have almost undoubtedly gotten worse from last year. We have become more right-handed then we were last year(as we lost Everett), are as slow if not slower then last year, we have worse starting pitching, and we have a mediocre bullpen. The only hope we really have is if those who had bad years last year have good years this year, OR Reed/Borchard/someone else comes out of nowhere and puts up MVP/Cy Young-caliber numbers, OR Ozzie somehow pulls some magic out of his ass, or maybe two of the above, or maybe all 3.

I'm still hoping for the best though. I think 75-80 wins is definately possible.....though I'm not expecting anything more.