2016 Recruiting Thread

bmags

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Cubit's credit, Illinois still in on a lot of targets going into signing day that could take this class up from the very bad level. I guess immediate playing time is alluring to some. They got Stewart Reese on campus somehow this weekend, even though everyone thought he was going to FSU and has an offer from every team in the south. Hope they can get him to committ.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 09:41 AM)
To Cubit's credit, Illinois still in on a lot of targets going into signing day that could take this class up from the very bad level. I guess immediate playing time is alluring to some. They got Stewart Reese on campus somehow this weekend, even though everyone thought he was going to FSU and has an offer from every team in the south. Hope they can get him to committ.

Eh, they are in on enough guys where the class might not be a complete joke like it is right now but it is going to be a bad class.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 09:07 AM)
IMO, Illinois needs to focus on regional guys that may be growing their senior year where Illinois may be one of their better offers. Going after national guys at this point isnt a good strategy.

I'm not sure the current staff has many connections to the midwest to do this kind of thing. I mean their highest recruit from Illinois itself is ranked 30th in the state or so.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)
I'm not sure the current staff has many connections to the midwest to do this kind of thing. I mean their highest recruit from Illinois itself is ranked 30th in the state or so.

They just dont seem to know how to recruit well at all, there needs to be change. There are plenty of good players in IL/WI/IN and OH that they could have easily if they stayed in touch and made those connections. It really doesnt take much to have the best class in the BIG West and thats the first step to winning your division.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 09:38 AM)
They just dont seem to know how to recruit well at all, there needs to be change. There are plenty of good players in IL/WI/IN and OH that they could have easily if they stayed in touch and made those connections. It really doesnt take much to have the best class in the BIG West and thats the first step to winning your division.

Exactly. Iowa had 8 four star recruits on their roster this past season.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 09:41 AM)

Didn't land Carmouche today and Reese is no longer visiting.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 08:56 PM)
Didn't land Carmouche today and Reese is no longer visiting.

Lol, of course. Not sure how they lost out on Carmouche with all the need at LB. Have 4-5 Scholes left. Let's save it from complete disaster.

Shane Richards- juco OL, ok state verbal. I thonk hell end up in champaign though. Just visited

Sadarius Hutcherson- So Carolina verbal would probably be our best commit if they can get him. He's visiting this weekend.

Dele Harding- He's pretty much a must. And he should commit to Illinois. Last decent LB prospect were in on since Carmouche chose elsewhere. Was a UT verbal now down to Rutgers and Illinois. Visiting this weekend.

Tadarryl Marshall- lot of decent offers and for some reason is visiting illinois this weekend.

David Montgomery- Iowa State commit, visiting this weekend. Only rb were in on. Not a position of need but he's a good prospect to see what up anyways.

Trevour Simms- Mizzou commit or something, I don't know. He's flipped like 10 times.

Land 2-3 of those kids and I'll maybe be okay with the class. Doubt we even do that. Lot of people visiting this weekend, they better get some committs.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 11:04 PM)
Lol, of course. Not sure how they lost out on Carmouche with all the need at LB. Have 4-5 Scholes left. Let's save it from complete disaster.

Shane Richards- juco OL, ok state verbal. I thonk hell end up in champaign though. Just visited

Sadarius Hutcherson- So Carolina verbal would probably be our best commit if they can get him. He's visiting this weekend.

Dele Harding- He's pretty much a must. And he should commit to Illinois. Last decent LB prospect were in on since Carmouche chose elsewhere. Was a UT verbal now down to Rutgers and Illinois. Visiting this weekend.

Tadarryl Marshall- lot of decent offers and for some reason is visiting illinois this weekend.

David Montgomery- Iowa State commit, visiting this weekend. Only rb were in on. Not a position of need but he's a good prospect to see what up anyways.

Trevour Simms- Mizzou commit or something, I don't know. He's flipped like 10 times.

Land 2-3 of those kids and I'll maybe be okay with the class. Doubt we even do that. Lot of people visiting this weekend, they better get some committs.

HF OL/DL Desmond Bland is going to an Arizona JUCO because he can't get in literally anywhere. He'll be in a Power 5 in 2 years. He's a stud. Illinois can hopefully go the JUCO route some. Jihad Ward looked downright lost at times at Illinois. He got coached at the Senior Bowl this week and is probably a top 75 selection now.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)
HF OL/DL Desmond Bland is going to an Arizona JUCO because he can't get in literally anywhere. He'll be in a Power 5 in 2 years. He's a stud. Illinois can hopefully go the JUCO route some. Jihad Ward looked downright lost at times at Illinois. He got coached at the Senior Bowl this week and is probably a top 75 selection now.

Not that any of them are potential 2nd rounders like Ward, but sounds like Illinois had a bunch of players impress in the different senior all star game practices. Coaching and all that.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 12:04 AM)

Marshall and Montgomery aren't visiting any longer. Where are you seeing that Hutcherson is visiting?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 09:20 PM)
Well he's not anymore. That's 4 guys who cancelled this weekend at least. So much for that.

Drake Spears decommits because he doesn't have the grades. This class just keeps getting better and better. Even if they close "strong" by adding a couple ok players this class is f***ing awful. This class is even worse than Zook's last couple of classes which were both awful. You have to go back to when Ron Turner just stopped even trying to recruit to find a class this bad.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 12:43 PM)
Drake Spears decommits because he doesn't have the grades. This class just keeps getting better and better. Even if they close "strong" by adding a couple ok players this class is f***ing awful. This class is even worse than Zook's last couple of classes which were both awful. You have to go back to when Ron Turner just stopped even trying to recruit to find a class this bad.

It's the worst class of our lifetime. They had a nice visit list lined up but everyone canceled out of it. It's worse than turners classes and I don't see that changing by signing day.

Mizzou finally has a press release about not terrible things:

Alabama grad transfer Chris Black coming to Mizzou..

Mizzou is really thin on developed WR. he's not a game changer but our class last year was essentially a bunch of 3 star frosh and soph that needed time for bodies to develop. This is a nice depth get.

Now they also really need a QB as they only have 2 on their roster. Which is annoying because you may need to burn a frosh's redshirt.