Rangel Ravelo

ron883

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 10:34 PM)
This dude has seemingly becme on of the sox best hitting prospects. Guy is an on base machine. How do you think he'll do in the majors? Is it time for AAA for him?

No need to rush im but I'd love to see him in AAA by the end of the year, AFL too if possible, may be legitimate prospect if he develops power or switches positions

Would love to see Ravelo get promoted to AAA when there's room for him to play every day. Trying to understand if Birmingham is a pitchers or hitters park. Its only 325 down the lines but there is a 15 ft wall from the lines that gradually goes down to 8 ft in cf. Trying to understand if the maybe the wall contributes to a lower HR total but at the same time boost the 2B total.

Anyone know anything about Regions Field?

Edited by StRoostifer

I keep hoping he turns out like Maggs. I never remember hype around him and he just hit and hit and hit. Obviously different positions and I'm not comparing too but hoping this can be the case. I was also very young at the time so maybe Maggs was hyped and I never knew it. I just remember him coming up and hitting from the very start.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 10:23 AM)
I keep hoping he turns out like Maggs. I never remember hype around him and he just hit and hit and hit. Obviously different positions and I'm not comparing too but hoping this can be the case. I was also very young at the time so maybe Maggs was hyped and I never knew it. I just remember him coming up and hitting from the very start.

I'm too young to remember the hype for Maggs but looking at his minor league numbers, there was no reason for him to be hyped until 1997. His numbers till he hit AAA were very pedestrian. Then he had a great year as a 23 year old in AAA, was considered a top 100 prospect, started the next year with the White Sox where he had a solid rookie year and then he was terrific from year 2 on.

Mags definitely wasn't hyped, in fact, he was exposed to the rule 5 one year and everyone passed. Then he started hitting.

The story of Maggs signing with the White Sox was pretty incredible as well. I guess he tried out with Houston but they passed. A White Sox scout was supposed to try Maggs out and was late for several hours without any contact, but Maggs stayed and waited and it paid off for him and the team.

You hope someone could come out of nowhere and be great. It's just been so long since the Sox developed a really good hitter.

He might need a little more needling...

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
I'm too young to remember the hype for Maggs but looking at his minor league numbers, there was no reason for him to be hyped until 1997. His numbers till he hit AAA were very pedestrian. Then he had a great year as a 23 year old in AAA, was considered a top 100 prospect, started the next year with the White Sox where he had a solid rookie year and then he was terrific from year 2 on.

I literally remember watching him in September and going who is this guy and wow he can hit. Then the next year he hit more and kept getting better and better. Totally came out of nowhere so bad comparison to Ravelo whose consistently been productive but he's probably one of the least hyped stars I can ever remember (based upon minor production, hype, etc).

Yes, guys like Pujols and Piazza were late round picks but when they were coming up through minors, you had heard about them, etc.

Edit: And by watch, this was before the MLB extra innings days (or at least when I had it) so it would consist of my weekly white sox game on TV and reading the box scores every morning going, wow, who is this kid. I think I read the box scores every day for like 9 consecutive years from the time I was like 6 to 15 or so (and then moved to the internet).

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 07:44 AM)
No need to rush im but I'd love to see him in AAA by the end of the year, AFL too if possible, may be legitimate prospect if he develops power or switches positions

I take it he wasn't too good at 3B since it looks like they switched him from 3B to 1B in 2012, but does anyone have any insight on his defense? It doesn't look like he's ever played OF, but could he be a possible LF someday?

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)
I take it he wasn't too good at 3B since it looks like they switched him from 3B to 1B in 2012, but does anyone have any insight on his defense? It doesn't look like he's ever played OF, but could he be a possible LF someday?

Some think he could potentially be playable in the outfield.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)
He might need a little more needling...

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 12:12 PM)
All right. I'll start.

"Rangel, your mama wears army boots."

Oooh me next!

"Ayyyy Rangel.... You sure struck out - with the laydeeez - last Saturday night." *pokes elbow to Rangel's side*

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 09:00 AM)
Would love to see Ravelo get promoted to AAA when there's room for him to play every day. Trying to understand if Birmingham is a pitchers or hitters park. Its only 325 down the lines but there is a 15 ft wall from the lines that gradually goes down to 8 ft in cf. Trying to understand if the maybe the wall contributes to a lower HR total but at the same time boost the 2B total.

Anyone know anything about Regions Field?

Hitters park.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
I think the right way to say it is this...if his bat plays, they'll find room for him.

I meant people think he could actually be a league average defender in a corner outfield position and that he is a decent athlete. Meaning, you don't need his bat to completely outplay his defensive abilities, which is what you'd need if he were to be an atrocious defender at any position other then 1B. I fully expect that they will change his positions in time, but right now, they are focused on his bat and his development there, which to your original point, if it plays, you find room regardless of defensive skills. However, for that to work, he'll likely need to show the power potential some think he has.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 12:24 PM)
Hitters park.

He has been hitting everywhere he has been. Are they all hitters parks?

He's a great hitter. He has almost doubled his HR total since last season. He's young for the level. What is not to like about him?

Personally I believe he is the biggest darkhorse in our organization, and will be noticed soon enough.

Edited by staxx

QUOTE (staxx @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)

He's a great hitter. He has almost doubled his HR total since last season. He's young for the level. What is not to like about him?

Personally I believe he is the biggest darkhorse in our organization, and will be noticed soon enough.

Regions is a hitters park.

QUOTE (staxx @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 06:17 PM)

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 06:19 PM)
Regions is a hitters park.

.885 OPS at home, .855 OPS on the road. 4 HR at home, 3 on the road, 11 2b at home, 19 on the road.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 05:23 PM)
.885 OPS at home, .855 OPS on the road. 4 HR at home, 3 on the road, 11 2b at home, 19 on the road.

Sounds like he's a line drive gap hitter. It will be interesting to see how his HR power developes. Regardless, it will be fun following him.

I remember a AA first baseman who raked a few years ago - Williams traded him for a mediocre middle reliever. Brandon Allen never turned out to be much, but had good stats (although a higher K rate than Ravelo).

Anyway, looks like a great prospect. Take our time with him. We can eventually try to do a position change; or trade him for another team's equivalent prospect at a different position.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 05:23 PM)

The dimensions, the openness and the slightly above street level construction make it a hitters park. I'm not basing it on Ravelo's numbers. The old stadium was dug into the side of a hill, had massive dimensions, no air flow, a large facade that encircled at least 50% of the field and a forest behind right and center field.

Hoover Met: http://www.hooveral.org/images/pages/N377/...4127%20copy.jpg

Regions Field: http://hoarpm.com/perch/resources/regions-field-1.jpg

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 26, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
The dimensions, the openness and the slightly above street level construction make it a hitters park. I'm not basing it on Ravelo's numbers. The old stadium was dug into the side of a hill, had massive dimensions, no air flow, a large facade that encircled at least 65% of the field and a forest behind right and center field.

You're missing the point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2014 -> 08:44 AM)
You're missing the point.

I understand Ravelo is not affected by the type of stadium he plays in. I was just elaborating on how the Barons current stadium is a hitters park.