7/25 Games

BigHurt3515

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 06:05 PM)
In the last 39 batters Bucciferro has faced, he's allowed 1 hit, with 21 groundouts, 5 flyouts, 2 popouts, 1 lineout, 1 reaching on error, 1 erased on a double play, 1 walk and 9 strikeouts.

Promote him, he's old.

Meanwhile, #26 for Wilkins.

"Band Box", AAA, and every other attempt to minimize Wilkin's amazing streak aside, this is unbelievable. I don't ever remember hearing about any hitter in professional baseball, hitting 10 homers in 11 consecutive games, and hitting for the kind of average he is, as well. Actually, I just looked it up and the major-league record of 10 home runs over seven days set by Frank Howard of the Washington Senators in 1968, would top this streak. However, it's still quite remarkable.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2012/05/13/2333144_a...l#storylink=cpy

This is very intriguing; A left handed power bat to hit behind Abreu. I hope that they find a way to get him in the line up, and see how he adjusts to MLB pitching. I'd really love to know what has caused his sudden emergence as a really serious hitter. He was highly regarded out of college, and did well the first 3 minor league seasons, but did "hit a wall" last year at AAA. There have been comparisons to Jim Thome, as far back as 3 or 4 years ago. He has always been very strong, but has apparently figured a few things out, recently.

Does anyone have any insight into what is happening with him?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 07:53 PM)
Micah Johnson- 2-4, 2B (.304)

Carlos Sanchez- 2-4, 1 RBI, 2 SB (16)

Andy Wilkins- 2-4, 1 HR (26), 1 RBI, .283

Charlotte not having many offensive issues these days. With decent pitching, that lineup would dominate.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 09:15 PM)
"Band Box", AAA, and every other attempt to minimize Wilkin's amazing streak aside, this is unbelievable. I don't ever remember hearing about any hitter in professional baseball, hitting 10 homers in 11 consecutive games, and hitting for the kind of average he is, as well. Actually, I just looked it up and the major-league record of 10 home runs over seven days set by Frank Howard of the Washington Senators in 1968, would top this streak. However, it's still quite remarkable.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2012/05/13/2333144_a...l#storylink=cpy

This is very intriguing; A left handed power bat to hit behind Abreu. I hope that they find a way to get him in the line up, and see how he adjusts to MLB pitching. I'd really love to know what has caused his sudden emergence as a really serious hitter. He was highly regarded out of college, and did well the first 3 minor league seasons, but did "hit a wall" last year at AAA. There have been comparisons to Jim Thome, as far back as 3 or 4 years ago. He has always been very strong, but has apparently figured a few things out, recently.

:lol:

While this is a good point, I still laughed.

Let's hope for miracles with Wilkins. We need another couple to be a contender.

www.sportsonearth.com

Brandon Moss traveled a similar, non-traditional path to All-Star status. The Red Sox drafted Moss out of high school in 2002 but he didn't see the majors for the first time until 2007. He played everywhere in the field while in the Red Sox's farm system but saw time only in the outfield after his call up to the majors. Moss was hitting .295/.337/.462 when the Red Sox shipped him to the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2008 as part of the Manny Ramirez-Jason Bay trade. The Pirates asked Moss to change his swing, to try to take the ball the other way, despite his success as a pull hitter. He struggled through the 2009 season and found himself back in the minors, first with the Pirates in 2010 and then with the Phillies in 2011. At age 28, his career looked bleak.

Then the A's signed him to a minor-league contract before the 2012 season. Moss looked at the logjam in the A's outfield -- Cespedes, Coco Crisp, Josh Reddick, Johnny Gomes and Seth Smith -- and knew the only way he'd make it to Oakland was by playing first base. So he asked his Triple-A manager Steve Scarsone if he could get time at first. Scarsone said yes and on June 6, 2012, Moss made his A's debut with a start at first base.

Moss's slash in 322 games for the A's over the last three seasons is .268/.345/.541 with 73 home runs. He ranks in the top 20 of the most valuable position players in the American League, according to FanGraphs. And, for Bob Melvin, he's been invaluable. When Josh Reddick suffered a knee injury in early June, Moss was back in right field, where he'd played sparingly since 2012. "I'm an offense guy," Moss said. "I'll play wherever they need me so I can stay in the lineup," adding that players need to be flexible to succeed. "Even Mike Trout has changed positions," Moss noted.

Was in Louisville for tonight's game. Micah was finding his way on base a lot and also laid down a bunt that looked like he had no business beating out but it looked like he could have been safe with replay (advancing the runners to 2nd and 3rd in the process). Wilkins hit the ball really well (no cheap hits) but looked subpar on defense. Cleto was hitting 100 on the gun and pitching really well for 3 innings which was surprising. Semien and Davidson couldn't square anything up.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 09:15 PM)

What we don't know are things like bat speed.

We could get some insight if I suppose I would check and see how much of this hitting is against real ML prospect and how much against AAAA pitchers, of which AAA is replete.

Still enough I'd think to comfortably move Dunn, which I have a hard time understanding why a team wouldn't offer a middle level prospect for.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 06:20 PM)
Dunn needs to go so Wilkins can come up and Ravelo can go to AAA

This is what I'm hoping for. I know Ravelo isn't hitting many HR's but he's still hitting very well and IMO deserves a call up to Charlotte.