Chris Beck headed for AAA

NorthSideSox72

I think the jist is that in the event of a Danks trade, Beck would be the most likely called up to replace him, hence the move to Charlotte.

That might be true but the larger obstacle to that scenario remains finding a team to eat Danks contract.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)
I think the jist is that in the event of a Danks trade, Beck would be the most likely called up to replace him, hence the move to Charlotte.

That might be true but the larger obstacle to that scenario remains finding a team to eat Danks contract.

I think it is more that Beck will be promoted to AAA to take Danks replacements spot in the rotation. I can't see Beck jumping to the majors this year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)
Eh?

What everyone else said. I think this is a precursor to his potential trade. Doesnt necessarily mean Beck will see time at the major league level this season, but I think he ultimately slots in if someone else gets moved to the major league level and he finishes the season there.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 08:33 AM)
What everyone else said. I think this is a precursor to his potential trade. Doesnt necessarily mean Beck will see time at the major league level this season, but I think he ultimately slots in if someone else gets moved to the major league level and he finishes the season there.

They aren't going to move Beck into the rotation just because we trade someone else. This is just more about Beck's continued development. Putting him to the majors right now would be extremely short sited and probably very detrimental to his develop.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 11:12 AM)
Is there some guy they might have wanted to move up from A that needed to have room?

Beck hadn't exactly mastered AA hitters.

I'm hoping for Bucciferro. Dykstra would arguably be even fairer given his numbers, but he was only recently moved to WS.

Edited by Feeky Magee

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
Looking at his statline for the last 10 starts... doesn't look all that great, but not terrible, either.

62 IP, 58 H, 15 BB, 1 HR, 49 ER, 33 K

Regions Field suppresses power, so we'll see how he does in the more lively BB&T Park.

18 ER, not 49. I had no idea why a 7.11 ERA seemed as though it was "not terrible."

There isn't anyone at W-S who "has" to move up, though there are a couple guys who could (Bucciferro most likely). So this is not a move to make room in B-Ham (though it is worth noting, Bassitt was just added back to B-Ham). This is because they think Beck is ready for AAA challenges.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)
There isn't anyone at W-S who "has" to move up, though there are a couple guys who could (Bucciferro most likely). So this is not a move to make room in B-Ham (though it is worth noting, Bassitt was just added back to B-Ham). This is because they think Beck is ready for AAA challenges.

Have you heard anything about his anaemic strikeout rate? I know there's a running theory that it's because he's emphasising use of the fastball, but have you heard anything from the team/scouts about it?

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 11:54 AM)
Have you heard anything about his anaemic strikeout rate? I know there's a running theory that it's because he's emphasising use of the fastball, but have you heard anything from the team/scouts about it?

One of our writers actually witnessed this back in May. Beck was using his fastball almost exclusively in that start. We don't know the exact reason WHY he was doing that, but he was. And whether or not that has been the issue all along, we don't know either. Though it is hard to believe he's been doing that all year.

I have significant concerns about the lack of K's, but I am also pretty sure you have to take some of the stats with a grain of salt.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)
One of our writers actually witnessed this back in May. Beck was using his fastball almost exclusively in that start. We don't know the exact reason WHY he was doing that, but he was. And whether or not that has been the issue all along, we don't know either. Though it is hard to believe he's been doing that all year.

I have significant concerns about the lack of K's, but I am also pretty sure you have to take some of the stats with a grain of salt.

Especially since in a Spring Training Tribune article the Sox minor league pitching coordinator said Beck needs to work on his breaking ball.