Charlie Tilson Injured

Chicago White Sox

From Scott Merkin:

Charlie Tilson suffered a stress reaction in his right foot on Friday. He will be shut down from impact activities for 10 days.

rkin‏ @scottmerkin

Tilson will be re-evaluated at that point. They did a MRI on him yesterday. This is the opposite leg of the hamstring issue.

Who's next on the CF depth chart? Liriano?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Tilson's foot is why Hahn had that pause in the podcast.

I know the Sox said they will reevaluate Tilson in ten days but if for some reason he isn't ready by opening day, just throw Engel to the wolves and make him the CF. His at bats will be painful to watch at times but at least his defense will play up in CF. Really don't want to see Liriano or Leury in CF.

Paging Mr.ptatc, your expertise is needed good sir. If this is just a stress fracture any idea how long you think it will take for Tilson's foot to heal? Thank you in advance.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 19, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)
I wonder if Tilson's foot is why Hahn had that pause in the podcast.

I know the Sox said they will reevaluate Tilson in ten days but if for some reason he isn't ready by opening day, just throw Engel to the wolves and make him the CF. His at bats will be painful to watch at times but at least his defense will play up in CF. Really don't want to see Liriano or Leury in CF.

Paging Mr.ptatc, your expertise is needed good sir. If this is just a stress fracture any idea how long you think it will take for Tilson's foot to heal? Thank you in advance.

If Tilson isn't Burjos will be the starting CF. No need to rush Engel or May.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Feb 19, 2017 -> 02:57 PM)
What's a stress reaction?

I usually react to stress by drinking.

It's a precursor to a stress fracture. There is pain and significant tenderness on the bone similar to what you would think if as a bone bruise but there was no direct trauma. There is no "crack" in the bone.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 19, 2017 -> 01:24 PM)
It's a precursor to a stress fracture. There is pain and significant tenderness on the bone similar to what you would think if as a bone bruise but there was no direct trauma. There is no "crack" in the bone.

The resident Doctor is in! What would you suspect his timeline is until healthy and what are any potential restrictions / ramifications of this injury? Thanks ptatc, brother man with the master plan!!

QUOTE (hi8is @ Feb 19, 2017 -> 08:44 PM)
The resident Doctor is in! What would you suspect his timeline is until healthy and what are any potential restrictions / ramifications of this injury? Thanks ptatc, brother man with the master plan!!

No more than three to four weeks on the outside, more likely in the one to two range. They will add support to his shoes and have him wear a less ridged shoe depanding on where it is. There are usually in the 2nd or 3rd metatarsals

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 19, 2017 -> 11:03 PM)
which is why they delay the MRI, as it won't show much of anything useful. Hopefully he feels better in a few days, that's a sure sign it's nothing much. If he doesn't , then he gets the imaging.

If they are sure its a stress reaction as opposed to a stress fracture they may have already done some imaging or they may just be going by the length on symptoms. MR imaging rarely shows any thjng useful early on and in many cases aren't real useful in these situations until much later. They will look for bone marrow edema without issues in the cortical bone. Unfortunately MR imaging is very sensitive to edema and it can block out small issues like stress fractures. Bone scans are still better for something like this.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 20, 2017 -> 07:18 AM)
My AT in college always said MRI just stood for "More Radiographic Income." Said a lot of common injuries (e.g., torn ACL) are accurately diagnosed manually.

That's the exact term i used in my classes. :D

I like the AT already.