6/28 Games

royoung

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 08:15 PM)
Jameson Fisher with his first bomb of the season. He might end up being a pretty nice pick.

I'd like to see Fisher and Alex Call in Kanny before too long.

Between those two, Collins and even some of their latter round picks it's obvious the Sox targeted hitters who have a more advanced approach at the plate. This is very much breaking with recent history and I for one am extremely pleased with the approach. I don't care how good of an athlete a player may be or what kind of show they put on during BP...low contact rates in college (and HS for that matter, though admittedly harder to quantify) are a strong predictor of struggles in the pros. Yes, I'm looking at you Jared Mitchell.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 10:33 PM)
The problem is we'll never know the player Mitchell would have been before that horrific injury.

He just lost all his mojo when that happened. He HAD looked looked really good up until that exact moment.

That's my point exactly. Mitchell looked great, toolsy and all that, but even in college his contact rate was poor. His leg injury had nothing to do with the fact that he couldn't hit anything that wasn't coming in straight as an arrow.

It is rare to see a player prosper in the pros after exhibiting lousy plate discipline in college. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I would rather take my chances with a hitter who has a track record of making contact and has shown they have some kind of a plan at the plate than the golden athlete who can't hit a breaking pitch. Whether Collins, Call, Fisher etc make it or not I'm just glad the Sox finally have made an advanced hitting approach something of a priority in the draft, because that has been missing for a long time.

Edited by Dizzy Sox

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 08:15 PM)
Jameson Fisher with his first bomb of the season. He might end up being a pretty nice pick.

Saw him play in college a couple of times. He can hit. Whether he measures up on the scout kind of stuff (bat speed, etc.) I have no idea.