Bobby Jenks wants to make a comeback

The Ultimate Champion

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/cws/former...p;vkey=news_cws

Nice story & personally I'd love to see a MiLB deal for this guy when he's ready to get on the field again. I think we owe it to him just for allowing Little s*** Guillen to make those comments without immediately canning his father. Bobby did a lot of nice work for us and on a pay scale that didn't come close to matching his performance and abilities.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/cws/former...p;vkey=news_cws

Nice story & personally I'd love to see a MiLB deal for this guy when he's ready to get on the field again. I think we owe it to him just for allowing Little s*** Guillen to make those comments without immediately canning his father. Bobby did a lot of nice work for us and on a pay scale that didn't come close to matching his performance and abilities.

If he can show up at a workout and show a hint of still being able to pitch... I'd be all for a minor league deal. Worst case, he flames out in Charlotte.

I agree. If he wants a chance, why not sign him to a minor league deal.

I know there were reasons for adding pitches to his arsenal, but he was never as effective as he was with the high 90s fastball and devastaing curve. I can still vividly remember the Bagwell at-bat when he fired those three fastballs right by him.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
I agree. If he wants a chance, why not sign him to a minor league deal.

I know there were reasons for adding pitches to his arsenal, but he was never as effective as he was with the high 90s fastball and devastaing curve. I can still vividly remember the Bagwell at-bat when he fired those three fastballs right by him.

I remember being scared because that was such a perfect situation for a dramatic homer from Bagwell. Then Bobby threw him 1 fastball and I knew how the at bat was going to end.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
I never defended Guillens mouth but I will when it comes to Jenks. Bobby owed a lot to Ozzie and the Sox for saving his career.

That said bring him back. At worst it makes us some desperately needed local headlines.

He owes a lot to Kenny Williams for claiming him on waivers and calling him up to the Major League roster. Ozzie used his 25-man roster just like any manager.

In fact, if anything Ozzie owes Bobby for helping lock down that bullpen after Shingo's failure and Hermanson's injury. If not for Bobby coming in getting the job done you would have had Neal Cotts or Cliff Politte taken out of setup roles where they were best suited. And Cotts specifically as closer would have made Damaso Marte the lefty setup man, while with Politte as closer you'd have been looking at Vizcaino as the setup guy from the right side and garbage most likely filling out the LR role.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 11:02 PM)
He owes a lot to Kenny Williams for claiming him on waivers and calling him up to the Major League roster. Ozzie used his 25-man roster just like any manager.

In fact, if anything Ozzie owes Bobby for helping lock down that bullpen after Shingo's failure and Hermanson's injury. If not for Bobby coming in getting the job done you would have had Neal Cotts or Cliff Politte taken out of setup roles where they were best suited. And Cotts specifically as closer would have made Damaso Marte the lefty setup man, while with Politte as closer you'd have been looking at Vizcaino as the setup guy from the right side and garbage most likely filling out the LR role.

Yeah let's just ignore that whole alcohol abuse thing that management had to keep in check here to ensure he was a quality MLB player.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

What Hawk says about Bobby is absolutely true. What Bobby did for us was really huge and pretty uncommon.

I'm usually one of the first people to throw out the idea of trading your closer for a SP or everyday position player/prospect if you can, but Bobby's stuff was a whole lot nastier than you average closer's stuff and his maturity level and immediate dominance at the MLB level upon call-up was something special.

He for a very short time also tied the record for consecutive batters retired. He & Thornton were the two full-season bright spots in that 2006 bullpen that cost us games, and in 2007 his record along with MB's no-no were among the very few high points of that entire miserable season.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 04:06 PM)
Yeah let's just ignore that whole alcohol abuse thing that management had to keep in check here.

Bobby's problems leaked because the manager's son was a b****. God knows what kind of clubhouse issues players around the league have that normally are hush-hush matters. The Oney/Ozzie/Cowley trifecta was was about as bad as it gets.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 11:11 PM)
Bobby's problems leaked because the manager's son was a b****. God knows what kind of clubhouse issues players around the league have that normally are hush-hush matters. The Oney/Ozzie/Cowley trifecta was was about as bad as it gets.

Oney is an idiot and his comments about Bobby were, as usual, dumb. But let's be honest his problems were well known before then. That's half the reason we got him.

Bobby's comments regarding KW and Ozzie were highly unnecessary considering those two are the most responsible for giving him a MLB career and ultimately making him a millionaire. I certainly did not mind Ozzie firing back at him.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 04:07 PM)
What Hawk says about Bobby is absolutely true. What Bobby did for us was really huge and pretty uncommon.

I'm usually one of the first people to throw out the idea of trading your closer for a SP or everyday position player/prospect if you can, but Bobby's stuff was a whole lot nastier than you average closer's stuff and his maturity level and immediate dominance at the MLB level upon call-up was something special.

He for a very short time also tied the record for consecutive batters retired. He & Thornton were the two full-season bright spots in that 2006 bullpen that cost us games, and in 2007 his record along with MB's no-no were among the very few high points of that entire miserable season.

Is it really uncommon? Every year playoff teams have young guys fresh out of the minors tearing it up in the bullpen. Look at the Cardinals this year.

I think Bobby is a really good person. After reading that story, I wish I could be at Soxfest just to shake his hand and let him know that we'll always be fans of his.

Sounds like he has a ways to go in his return attempt, but if I'm the Sox I'd have no problem offering him resources to help with his rehab process with the understanding that he has a spot with us when he's ready.