Nik Wallenda tightropes Chicago

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 07:56 PM)
I'm watching but don't get why he does this. For adrenaline?

Usually that's what it is. For him specifically, I think it also has to do with his family doing it. They were showing his grandfather actually dying from doing it. It was nationally recorded. For his family, it has to be gut wrenching.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 01:44 AM)
Seriously. It's the only reason people risk their lives.

Who pays him? Discovery channel? There are no sponsors on his outfit. Joel Osteen takes money, he doesn't give it.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)
I've never watched this guy before. If he falls, is there like a net or does he just die?

He just dies. I think at least 7 of his family members have died doing random circus acts like this. There is a famous video of his great-grandfather falling off a high wire in Puerto Rico, 100+ feet in the air, killing him.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
the hosts talked about the possibility of him falling, they said he is trained to immediately grab for the rope. If the wind gusts, i dont see how he could control that fall, but whatever. Thats why it is DEATH DEFYING!

I think it's certainly possibly that he could grab the rope if he falls but ya, that's kind of hard to control.

He was on the news this morning and sad he's trained to hold onto the rope if he falls. He can do so for up to 20 minutes. People on either side of the cable are trained to get to him within 90 seconds. He has a harness and everything for them to use to secure him so it's not like he has to dangle there. Incrediblyl dangerous still, but it's not like they haven't though of SOME contingencies.

But yes, that entire thing was boring. Luckily I talked my wife into just watching the last half hour (when he started). She wanted to watch the whole damn thing.

Also, the "thank you God for giving me this gift," "God put me on the Earth to do this," etc. crap was annoying. No, moron, God did not select you personally to walk on a damn cable for a living.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)
Also, the "thank you God for giving me this gift," "God put me on the Earth to do this," etc. crap was annoying. No, moron, God did not select you personally to walk on a damn cable for a living.

I always hate that crap but so many athletes and people like this dude do it so I'm almost immune to it at this point.