Andy Wilkins

ILMOU

Pedigree: 5th round pick out of U of Arkansas

What they were saying at draft time (thanks Lillian):

http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox/2010/...andrew-wilkins/

http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox/andy-wilkins/

Current red flags/issues: 1. Age (turns 26 on Sept 17) 2. Declining BB rate vs. prior seasons 3. Another 1B/DH only (or could he possibly learn LF?)

His progression through the minors has been slow and steady, if unspectacular, until sometime in June of this season when something clicked. He has always had a plenty acceptable K rate, and it hasn't spiked with the increased power output. His only "setback" year was 2012, making the jump from high A to AA as a 23y.o. - not unreasonable. 1400+ OPS for a full month of games is not common, and while it's a crazy outlier to be sure, Wilkins had been improving steadily each month heading into it. By no means am I inking this guy into any future lineups, but it would be silly and arrogant to preclude the possibility, imo. If he were just 1 year younger, how different would the perception be? For all we know, the Gentleman Slugger, while visiting Charlotte to help Davidson, spent some time with Andy and taught him one weird trick that changed everything. :P

Let's get a look soon. And if we like what we see, he should spend the offseason learning LF.

Discuss.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm relatively certain he will come up the Majors and perform poorly, but I'd rather have him try and fail than Dunn do the same who has no future with this organization. And in the off chance Wilkins hits well in the Majors, Hahn might be able to check one need off the list. But If Wilkins is going to be given a shot, it needs to be done now, not one start a week in September.

But Wilkins is strictly going to be a 1B/DH type. I don't think there is a realistic chance he could play the OF.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 26, 2014 -> 12:57 PM)
I'm relatively certain he will come up the Majors and perform poorly, but I'd rather have him try and fail than Dunn do the same who has no future with this organization. And in the off chance Wilkins hits well in the Majors, Hahn might be able to check one need off the list. But If Wilkins is going to be given a shot, it needs to be done now, not one start a week in September.

But Wilkins is strictly going to be a 1B/DH type. I don't think there is a realistic chance he could play the OF.

Yeah, I hope there's not a huge sentimentality about Paulie getting lots of AB's after a Dunn departure. They can give AW a full two months audition, and they can try him vs. lefties too, as his splits aren't too unbalanced. Paulie should still only play once a a week, if that.

If you want to have some fun, compare this year's stats for Wilkins and Abreu. Before someone points out the obvious fact that we're comparing AAA with MLB performance, I'm not suggesting that Wilkins is a left handed version of our Cuban Phenom. Nevertheless, it is interesting to get some perspective of the numbers that Andy is compiling.

In virtually the same number of plate appearances, they have some quite similar numbers. Rather than sight specific stats, I'd simply suggest that you take a look, including the splits.

Wilkins' power is not a function of the Knights' new ball park. He has put up very similar numbers on the road. Moreover, his home runs are more often of the tape measure variety, rather than the cheap kind.

This is just his first full season at AAA, and he is continuing his career pattern of making the adjustments at each successively higher level. The fact that he is the only left handed power bat, in the entire organization that offers any hope for filling that void, validates the argument that he should be brought up, and given an opportunity to try to make the adjustment to Major League pitching. The last two months of the season could provide some better insight into whether or not the Sox need to look for a middle of the order, left handed power bat, via trade, or free agency. As several here have suggested, there is nothing to be gained by giving those at bats to a, soon to be departed, Adam Dunn.

From BA's hot sheet chat:

Kyle (Dallas, TX): You young'uns at BA may view older prospects differently than young ones, but Charlotte's Andy Wilkins deserved better this past week than to be completely ignored. Would you care to comment, Joshua?

Josh Norris: No, he didn’t. He’s a 25-year-old, one-tool 1B/DH in Triple-A. That’s not a prospect. The Hot Sheet is for prospects only.

Can't say I disagree really.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)

I'm not a Wilkins defender by any means, but have they checked out a 5th round pick by the name of Ryan Howard, who put up good numbers everywhere in the minors, but not great, until he really took off during his age 24 / 25 seasons (OPS went from .800's to 1.000's). He was a top 100 prospect entering his age 25 season (and don't believe he was anywhere near anyone's top 100 prior to that). People even questioned whether he could hack it at the major league level and while a lot wanted to try him out and move Thome, there were a lot that didn't, from what I recall.

Note: I am not saying Wilkins is Ryan Howard, just stating he went from being not highly touted to being pretty highly touted after exploding onto the scene. If Wilkins keeps mashing and ends up with 40 - 50 minor league HR's while improving other aspects of his game, you have to start considering him a pretty serious prospect. That sort of power is pretty rare in this day and age.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)

I somewhat disagree. I still don't see Wilkins as more than a 15-20 prospect in the Sox system right now, give or take, but to completely dismiss him as having one tool and making 25 in AAA seem unusually old is a bit ridiculous. His hit tool and power are both pretty real, though he's stopped drawing walks which is an issue. And 25 in AAA isn't young, but it isn't exactly old either.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 08:54 AM)
I somewhat disagree. I still don't see Wilkins as more than a 15-20 prospect in the Sox system right now, give or take, but to completely dismiss him as having one tool and making 25 in AAA seem unusually old is a bit ridiculous. His hit tool and power are both pretty real, though he's stopped drawing walks which is an issue. And 25 in AAA isn't young, but it isn't exactly old either.

These are pretty much my thoughts exactly.

And let me add that his dramatic improvement in the second half of his season may, MAY, indicate that he has changed something that has led to this improvement. It's NOT his third or fourth go-around at the same level, and he's never been demoted. He just hasn't risen with the speed that we normally associate with prospects.

Would love to watch these arrogant bastards backpedal if he can actually make it in the bigs.

How many tools do you want a first baseman to have? 2 will cut it for me and I'm interested in which one the respondent thinks Wilkins has. The book used to be that he had a very good hit tool but lacked power, but suddenly that power looks very much present (and the standards for power around MLB have dropped).

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 08:48 AM)
Sounds very much like a Steverson influence here:

“Well, for me, I’m just trying to look for a good pitch to hit. In the past, I’ve noticed that I’ve walked a lot more, but then if you look back on some of those at-bats I maybe missed some key pitches that I could have done some damage with.

“I’ve just been looking to find a good pitch out over the plate that I can drive and if I don’t get that, then I’m fine with taking the walk. A lot of these guys are good pitchers and sometimes it’s best not to get behind and let them go to their nasty stuff. If I can try to be selective in the zone and get something to drive, I try to do that.”

And as with so much of life, timing is everything.

• 2 weeks later...

Still. Raking. 1263 OPS in August so far to back up his July.

Regardless of how remote his chances of MLB success may or may not be, they're screwing the pooch here. We should be watching him now instead of Dunn, but aren't. And it might be Andy's only real opportunity against real MLB pitching. Sucks.

In addition to the very impressive numbers that Wilkins is putting up, there is an intangible factor here. To not give him a chance, sends the wrong

message to our Minor League players. He could justifiably ask; "What do I have to do to earn a shot?"

After all, he's being blocked by Adam "freaking" Dunn.

The organization has previously stated that any young player who could prove himself, would be given a chance. What better time to demonstrate that they're sincere, than now?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 07:44 PM)
In addition to the very impressive numbers that Wilkins is putting up, there is an intangible factor here. To not give him a chance, sends the wrong

message to our Minor League players. He could justifiably ask; "What do I have to do to earn a shot?"

After all, he's being blocked by Adam "freaking" Dunn.

Paulie could come up with some mysterious injury to allow Wilkins a spot on the big team. 15 day dl and Paulie could be back in

September. Meanwhile Wilkins could get his shot.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 09:45 PM)
Paulie could come up with some mysterious injury to allow Wilkins a spot on the big team. 15 day dl and Paulie could be back in

September. Meanwhile Wilkins could get his shot.

Yeah, they're not going to be doing this before Konerko Month. Sorry.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
In fact, I believe it's at 41 if you include Avisail. Someone needs to go in order to activate him from the 60 man within the next week and a half.

Candidates?

Frank De Los Santos

Maikel Cleto

Charlie Leesman

Nestor Molina

Felipe Paulino

Those five guys simply do not belong on a 40-man roster. They all are pretty bad. Sox just don't need the space right now and that is the reason they still are on it. Cleto, I think they are just praying he figures it out because that arm is rare.

Edited by maggsmaggs

The following set of stats by two players are strikingly similar:

PA Hits 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO AVG OBP SLG

444 122 29 1 31 86 31 98 .304 .363 .613

452 124 30 1 28 76 28 82 .295 .338 .570

The first line belongs to MLB’s leader in HR’s and RBI’s

The other set belongs to the AAA International League’s 25 year old leader in the same two categories.

One is considered an amazing hitter and new super star.

The other isn’t even ranked in the top 20 prospects, of the White Sox, a team whose farm system is very poorly regarded. He also doesn’t appear to be worthy of

replacing Adam Dunn, one of the worst DH’s in the League, in the parent club’s line up.

Something is very wrong here.

You're comparing MLB numbers to AAA numbers. That kills the validity of any argument you make immediately.

You're comparing Jose Abreu to Andy Wilkins. That kills the validity of your argument.

Also, Adam Dunn is one of the best DHs in the league against RHP, so I have no idea why you would say he's one of the worst and just assume it to be correct.

I hate to be so absolutely blunt here, but this is one of the worst arguments for Andy Wilkins I have seen on this website. I have no problem with him getting a chance at some point, but simply saying "his AAA numbers are kinda close to Jose Abreu's MLB numbers but they're still worse!" and "Adam Dunn sucks" are not good arguments.