8/20 Games

GGajewski18

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 06:28 PM)
Nathaniel Stoltz 8m

@stoltz_baseball: Seriously, Carolina League pitchers: Never throw an offspeed pitch in the zone to Courtney Hawkins. Just don't. Ever.

Not sure if that is a compliment or not...

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 08:48 PM)
Bassit with 8Ks through 6.

Dude is legit. Wish he hadn't gotten injured, he'd likely be at the very least be a September call up.

I'd probably start him in AAA next year.

He will have to be put on the 40 man during the off season and will be 26 come next year. He's also dominated the competition the past two years. I'd say if he performs well in ST next year, he gets a spot in the rotation.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 09:25 AM)
http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox/2014/...r-the-playoffs/

Recap posted. Tim Anderson homered again in his rehab assignment, with the way Cleuluis Rondon is hitting, the Sox have a tough decision to make.

I'd say the decision is both easy and hard. Easy in that it is clear that both need to be on different teams because both can be ML shortstops. Hard in that Anderson is probably a little ahead of Rondon in physical and offensive maturity, though not defensively. With only 300 High-A at-bats, do the Sox really think Anderson is ready for AA? His performance in the AFL will probably go a long way in determining how the Sox handle both players. If Anderson does well in the AFL, then it is probably Anderson in AA and Rondon staying in High-A. If Anderson struggles, then the it becomes more dicey.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 07:50 AM)
I'd say the decision is both easy and hard. Easy in that it is clear that both need to be on different teams because both can be ML shortstops. Hard in that Anderson is probably a little ahead of Rondon in physical and offensive maturity, though not defensively. With only 300 High-A at-bats, do the Sox really think Anderson is ready for AA? His performance in the AFL will probably go a long way in determining how the Sox handle both players.

The way I see it, we are talking about a couple weeks of ball...send Anderson to AA or maybe have him continue his rehab in low A and put him in the fall league (or have Rondon go to the AFL). Either way, its definitely a good problem to have.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 09:53 AM)
The way I see it, we are talking about a couple weeks of ball...send Anderson to AA or maybe have him continue his rehab in low A and put him in the fall league (or have Rondon go to the AFL). Either way, its definitely a good problem to have.

Exactly, we haven't had two legit ML-caliber shortstops in quite awhile. In the past, we had shortstops who projected as second basemen, but now we actually have two shortstops who profile as ML shortstops.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
Exactly, we haven't had two legit ML-caliber shortstops in quite awhile. In the past, we had shortstops who projected as second basemen, but now we actually have two shortstops who profile as ML shortstops.

Carlos Sanchez will have a better chance to stick at SS in the ML than Anderson would.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)
I'd say the decision is both easy and hard. Easy in that it is clear that both need to be on different teams because both can be ML shortstops. Hard in that Anderson is probably a little ahead of Rondon in physical and offensive maturity, though not defensively. With only 300 High-A at-bats, do the Sox really think Anderson is ready for AA? His performance in the AFL will probably go a long way in determining how the Sox handle both players. If Anderson does well in the AFL, then it is probably Anderson in AA and Rondon staying in High-A. If Anderson struggles, then the it becomes more dicey.

I think that would be highly unusually to promote someone straight off of a rehab assignment, especially when his old team is fighting for a playoff spot. The difficult decision I was referring to was what to do with Rondon, either keep him at SS and have Anderson replace Basto at DH, or split SS, or possibly a temporary move to 3B or 2B? I would hate to see Rondon get demoted after his success with the Dash, we will see.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 08:59 AM)
Carlos Sanchez will have a better chance to stick at SS in the ML than Anderson would.

Uh-oh.

I think we've already had this debate earlier in the season.

On one side are Anderson's actual error totals, on the other side is his potential and defensive tools. While he doesn't have a Dunston or Uribe or Valentin arm, it's solid enough to the point where you don't want to move him off SS to 2B or CF until he proves he can't play that position.

As with all the Charlotte Knights numbers this year, I'm not going to trust them very much until I see Sanchez look like a stronger Leury Garcia with the potential to at least put up a 675ish OPS at the major league level. Sanchez at Beckham level (625 OPS) or lower isn't any upgrade at all. Sanchez has also put on some weight, so that cuts down on his speed and one of his areas he would have a clear advantage over Beckham, baserunning/basestealing. You also don't see him hitting more than 4-6 homers at USCF...which, as we learned from watching the Orioles bomb away, it's critical to have some pop in the line-up besides Abreu and maybe Avisail Garcia.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
I think that would be highly unusually to promote someone straight off of a rehab assignment, especially when his old team is fighting for a playoff spot. The difficult decision I was referring to was what to do with Rondon, either keep him at SS and have Anderson replace Basto at DH, or split SS, or possibly a temporary move to 3B or 2B? I would hate to see Rondon get demoted after his success with the Dash, we will see.

I was actually more talking about next season since the minor league season is almost over.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 10:23 AM)
I was actually more talking about next season since the minor league season is almost over.

Oh, I was referring to the last few weeks of the season and playoffs. Anderson has been in Arizona for a week now, has to be getting close to a return.

I think some folks are maybe overreacting to Bassitt a bit.

I like him, I think I had him around 20 or 22 on my list of prospects, just as he was starting his return. He looks healthy which is great, but I can't see a legit argument having him any higher than the bottom of the teens. He's got a very good fastball, and nothing else above average, unless he's made large scale changes recently.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 04:56 PM)
I think some folks are maybe overreacting to Bassitt a bit.

I like him, I think I had him around 20 or 22 on my list of prospects, just as he was starting his return. He looks healthy which is great, but I can't see a legit argument having him any higher than the bottom of the teens. He's got a very good fastball, and nothing else above average, unless he's made large scale changes recently.

Especially with what else this org has in the pitching department, I think there's a good chance they're going to do the "work him as a starter then bring him up as a reliever" route.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 03:57 PM)
Especially with what else this org has in the pitching department, I think there's a good chance they're going to do the "work him as a starter then bring him up as a reliever" route.

Which is ideal for him. Not only because he has a legit plus pitch (the fastball) but not a lot else, but also because he specifically told me last year he prefers relieving to starting.